Roast IF it isn't biased or ncompetent..... THEN it must be inciteful media coverage part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanWCE

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 2, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Love the arrogance from Dimma in that article dear me

If it's reciting his words from AFL 360 he actually came across really well on the show I thought. It's about the longest I'd ever listened to him speak.

The OTC guys grabbed his comment about the Tigers having the better ground ball game, pointed out that we're 18th in post clearance contested possession, showed an example of us executing it well and then said we effectively flicked a switch coming into finals last year and went from worst to best in stats like loose ball gets.

I think with Richmond it'll be a case of not getting beaten by what we know. Port did it best but that wasn't their bread and butter game plan. The Tigers aren't necessarily deviating from how they normally play to counter us, which makes scouting them a bit easier.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Back page of today's West is pretty bad. Full page graphic of a time bomb with an Essendon logo on it all because Ross Lyon said that 'some Victorian teams haven't won a final for 15 years' in response to some more of the usual baiting. If the West and Channel 7 were really just media arms of WC wouldn't they be pro-Lyon? When the back page reads 'Freo must re-sign Lyon long term!' then the PPE can worry.

Ishmael_

Premiership Player
Apr 30, 2013
Six Thousand
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
South Fremantle
Back page of today's West is pretty bad. Full page graphic of a time bomb with an Essendon logo on it all because Ross Lyon said that 'some Victorian teams haven't won a final for 15 years' in response to some more of the usual baiting. If the West and Channel 7 were really just media arms of WC wouldn't they be pro-Lyon? When the back page reads 'Freo must re-sign Lyon long term!' then the PPE can worry.

I just think they're pro page views. They've got an ex-Murdoch-rag editor now and his papers love a bit of regime change. It sells papers and provides material to write about.

Freo are an omnishambles, what the hell else are they going to write about?

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
I just think they're pro page views. They've got an ex-Murdoch-rag editor now and his papers love a bit of regime change. It sells papers and provides material to write about.

Freo are an omnishambles, what the hell else are they going to write about?

Yeah our local media is trash. It's just paranoid Freo fans that think they are out to get them. The media fellates Adam Simpson because we are the reigning premiers and on track to finish top 4 again. As soon as we slide down the ladder again there will be more news value in questioning his future etc.

Truckosaurus

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 19, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Lyon said Willie Rioli’s skills were elite, giving four-time Hawthorn premiership forward Cyril and Essendon great Maurice a “run for their money”, just a day after he had a career-high 21 disposals.

Didn’t Maurice play for Richmond? Anyway, good to see Biggie’s FKASC’s our Willie get the recognition he deserves from the media.

So was the mistake putting Essendon instead of Richmond or Maurice instead of Dean?

Tugga27

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 19, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
If it's reciting his words from AFL 360 he actually came across really well on the show I thought. It's about the longest I'd ever listened to him speak.

The OTC guys grabbed his comment about the Tigers having the better ground ball game, pointed out that we're 18th in post clearance contested possession, showed an example of us executing it well and then said we effectively flicked a switch coming into finals last year and went from worst to best in stats like loose ball gets.

I think with Richmond it'll be a case of not getting beaten by what we know. Port did it best but that wasn't their bread and butter game plan. The Tigers aren't necessarily deviating from how they normally play to counter us, which makes scouting them a bit easier.
That article is one of the reasons we don't get anything from coaches or players.

Hardwick articulated what he think Richmonds strengths are compared to ours in a well balanced way.

Then the paper makes a up a headline for click bait.

Dec 8, 2006
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
A Freo fan who counters any criticism of Ross Lyon with WhAt AbOuT nISbEtT!? responded to the Facebook link with this. And I wish it was satire like that Freo Doker page, but no:

Still timely. Still relevant.
1) As finals approach, good context to note that with all their advantages it took West Coast 24 years to win a drug-free (so far as we know) premiership.
2) This is still playing out. Lives are still being ruined by this mess.
3) Cover-up culture still alive and well at West Coast. When Andrew Gaff assaulted Andrew Brayshaw, Nisbet’s first response was to deny anything went wrong and make up fibbers about a golf game.
4) Relevant to all the fake sentiment around the Chris Mainwairing wing, and Eagles supporters getting misty eyed every time someone handballs a footy to his kids in a charity match, while ignoring the club’s spectacular blind eye to what was going on.
All in all, extremely well timed piece.

Oh dear :drunk:

Trouto

Premiership Player
Jul 3, 2007
Bunbury
AFL Club
West Coast
Yeah, its a bad era for the club.
Yeah, players were out of control partying and taking all sorts of drugs.
No, none of the drugs they took were performance enhancing and helped them win. There is little doubt that it had the opposite effect though and stopped the team reaching their full potential - we should have gone back to back in 2007 at least.
Yeah, it was 13 years ago and not one of the players still play for us.
Yeah, its coming up to the end of the season so it needs to be bought up again to try and distract the team.
No, it wont distract the players, they have heard it all before.

Our cultural shift from party boys to consummate professionals is complete. If this is all they have to try and put us off, i say bring it on. I might start a sweep stake to see which fallen Eagle they can dig up to make a damming quote.

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Apparently the Part 2 version is much friendlier and the admin is using the comments section to poke fun at WC supporters who chucked a wobbly at Part 1.

Ok Boomer

Cancelled
A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life
Jul 27, 2015
South West
AFL Club
West Coast
herp derp West Coast took recreational drugs 12 years ago, that will make a great story that no one has ever covered before.

Ben Cousins was sanctioned by the club for missing training, not the AFL. Could list all of the factual inaccuracies but I can't be bothered

Apparently the Part 2 version is much friendlier and the admin is using the comments section to poke fun at WC supporters who chucked a wobbly at Part 1.
I was going to have a crack at part 1 last night because it was nothing more than a rehash of what’s been widely known for over a decade without offering any fresh perspective.

Decided to wait until part 2 to see if the writer came up with either new information or a different perspective. I have some hope that there might be a point to the article because the mongrel punt is normally a very good site but part 1 was below their usual high standard

Apr 29, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
from Part 2

"Had this eventuated, it could have changed the course of another West Coast premiership, as the Eagles recruited Chris Masten with their first selection in the 2007 Draft, who would go on to help the club win its 2018 flag. There was only a kick in that game, too."

After that it pretty much praises the club for turning things around so well, but this is just such an incredibly long and ridiculous bow

Dec 8, 2006
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
I was going to have a crack at part 1 last night because it was nothing more than a rehash of what’s been widely known for over a decade without offering any fresh perspective.

Decided to wait until part 2 to see if the writer came up with either new information or a different perspective. I have some hope that there might be a point to the article because the mongrel punt is normally a very good site but part 1 was below their usual high standard

I'd love to hear some new revelations. There would be so much more we haven't heard about even if it's just different perspectives on the same issues. I hope when Woosha leaves Essendon he writes a legit, honest, warts and all book that gives insights into his thoughts and processes, team meetings, the works. Maybe I'm alone in wanting that but I was really disappointed in both articles.

We need more proper investigative journalists who can get their hands on real whistleblowers and mountains of documents. Who give a shite about footy :$

A s**t site even less relevant than the roar.
The mongrel punt is the best site for AFL. Their post game reviews are streets ahead of anything you’ll find elsewhere

This particular article isn’t their best work admittedly but even then it’s balanced and gives the club credit for turning around and learning from a dark period of our history that can’t be denied.

giphy.gif

It's now 13 years, let it go

Sep 23, 2007
continental shelf
AFL Club
West Coast
The mongrel punt is the best site for AFL. Their post game reviews are streets ahead of anything you’ll find elsewhere

This particular article isn’t their best work admittedly but even then it’s balanced and gives the club credit for turning around and learning from a dark period of our history that can’t be denied.
And then attributes our 2018 flag (at least in part) to the lack of sanctions we received.

Jul 1, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Wildcats, Subiaco Lions, Bulls
And then attributes our 2018 flag (at least in part) to the lack of sanctions we received.
It also ignores the fact other clubs had drug problems in that era. Injunction club for one.

Heck Freo has had many drug issues over the years.

And Collingwood have had multiple players test positive for performance enhancing drugs over the last few years, yet the media didn't crucify them for it.

Facts are, Eagles had a problem (like did many other clubs), but they actually put the time and effort into turning the culture around. Did they make mistakes in the process? For sure. But anyone black marking our 2018 (or even 2006) premiership is coming from a place of bias against the club, without looking at the wider issues in the AFL. It should never have come back up in 2015, and I was impressed it actually hardly rated a mention last year. Bringing it up again now is ludicrous.

Brer Bear

All Australian
May 13, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast

And then loses all credibility with tainted flag s**t articles.

Sep 8, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Mongrel Punt gearing up for the finals with a copy and paste job on the drugs thing. Offers literally nothing new.

Really disappointing from a source I've come to enjoy reading.

Couldn’t agree more. I know they finished with some good positives but how about just focus on that rather than 75% the old stuff “tainted stuff”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back