Roast IF it isn't biased or ncompetent..... THEN it must be inciteful media coverage part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moose1414

Club Legend
Apr 11, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Anyone else feeling that 2019 has been Govs best year, and there has been a concerted effort going on all season to undermine any claim on a AA spot?

"Jeremy McGovern (Three-time All Australian)
Difficult season to evaluate. Still ranked elite for contested and intercept marks, plus score launches, yet his impact hasn't been as pronounced. If judges take into consideration that opponents change the way they attack to counter one man, then McGovern is a lock."

Having a mare in 2019 is Gov eh, actually leads the comp in both intercept marks and intercept possessions leading into the final round of H&A despite copping one of the more egregious VFL suspensions and having reputably more opposition strategy than just about any other player put into his game each week but meh, just cruising, casually 'elite' in a few areas but not a patch on Alex Ranch who's still a sneaky chance you'd think at a 6th AA jumper despite playing half a game for the season.

edit: tried to change Alex R.a.n.c.e from Ranch several times but predictive text is having none of it, who am I to tell the computer how I think words should be spelled.

Last edited:

Moose1414

Club Legend
Apr 11, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Not saying the two are connected but Gary Lyon, who consistently rises to the top of the media's hotly contested "who can do the poorest job of concealing their outright contempt of all things West Coast" competition, put a lot of work in early in the season setting up the Gov is the leagues most unaccountable back therefore in truth the worse player in the afl [see opening 2 minutes of the Sydney game] and now suddenly thinks Elliot Yeo is the best player in the afl. Shep leading the comp now in marks and unlucky to miss out for years in a row, Elliot to debut on the back of gaz'zs "I can't be bias I literally think a west coast player is head and shoulders better than anyone else" campaign.. Add the obligatory 6 Richmond, 6, Geelong, 6 Collingwood players because they all made finals and Gov misses out, to howls from a few of "but he reads the play better than anyone in the comp etc etc" with a ready made caveat of "ah, but remember the Sydney game. [we don't, but I do remember Gary Lyon being very upset about it so year maybe he didn't have a great season after all]

Last edited:

Moose1414

Club Legend
Apr 11, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Highly rate Luke's ability to switch on beast mode for a qtr when the game is on the line. But just for lols, because so much of the subtle trolling of this nature goes unnoticed yet is worthy of respect:

"Luke Shuey
Has put together an enormous campaign, averaging a personal-high 26.5 disposals, but it's the quality of his possessions and ability to stand up in big moments that makes Shuey a star."

Shuey is #1 in the competition for turnovers and #4 for clangers. His disposal efficiency is handily bellow fearless cross town ball butcher and all round great guy Nat Fyfe. He manages quite literally turn the ball over more than anyone in the competition despite struggling to maintain touch with the pack in terms of total possessions, hence the rather cute note of *personal high* for disposals in 2019. But oh, the quality of those possessions mmm mmm.

HurleyHepsHird

Ghost Stories for the End of the World
Oct 2, 2011
Between the Lines
AFL Club
West Coast
Highly rate Luke's ability to switch on beast mode for a qtr when the game is on the line. But just for lols, because so much of the subtle trolling of this nature goes unnoticed yet is worthy of respect:

"Luke Shuey
Has put together an enormous campaign, averaging a personal-high 26.5 disposals, but it's the quality of his possessions and ability to stand up in big moments that makes Shuey a star."

Shuey is #1 in the competition for turnovers and #4 for clangers. His disposal efficiency is handily bellow fearless cross town ball butcher and all round great guy Nat Fyfe. He manages quite literally turn the ball over more than anyone in the competition despite struggling to maintain touch with the pack in terms of total possessions, hence the rather cute note of *personal high* for disposals in 2019. But oh, the quality of those possessions mmm mmm.
Champion Data do an aggregate kick stat which includes things like difficulty of kick, place on the ground, expected efficiency etc. and Shuey ranks highly.

shooshka

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast

"Luke Shuey

Not disagreeing, but I would be interested to know what % of his clangers are frees against (and to delve deeper what % of those are htb).

Assuming a free against is also a turnover?

Gut feel is that he has been pinged a lot more this year (sometimes fairly, others not so much).

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Moose1414

Club Legend
Apr 11, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Champion Data do an aggregate kick stat which includes things like difficulty of kick, place on the ground, expected efficiency etc. and Shuey ranks highly.

Bloody statistics eh, never paint a full picture. Not the point I was making, but If I wanted to give him a chop out then based of the AFL site's stats he's top 10 for metres gained which would indicate maybe he's playing some sort of role in Simmo's oft mentioned war for "territory." He does go all misty eyed in those pressers and say things like "we lost the battle for territory tonight" and stuff so who knows. I assume Shuey made it to #1 for turn overs based on his efforts in the tigers game alone, having previously sat outside the top 100 haha.

Moose1414

Club Legend
Apr 11, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Not disagreeing, but I would be interested to know what % of his clangers are frees against (and to delve deeper what % of those are htb).

Assuming a free against is also a turnover?

Gut feel is that he has been pinged a lot more this year (sometimes fairly, others not so much).

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

If free's against count toward disposal efficiency I'd have to say the AFL's measurement systems are a mockery to the sport... so yeah you're probably right on the money there.

flyinghi64

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2006
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
Pretty sure Gov is also the highest rated key position defender in the player ratings.
Oh and pretty much top 3 and higher for most of the defensive stat's.

But as pointed out above and by the experts not having a great year.

Also no mention of Hurn in that little AFL site puff piece.

Apr 29, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Pretty sure Gov is also the highest rated key position defender in the player ratings.
Oh and pretty much top 3 and higher for most of the defensive stat's.

But as pointed out above and by the experts not having a great year.

Also no mention of Hurn in that little AFL site puff piece.

Fair play Travis

To be honest, I think it's just a case of that being the more likely outcome. I just can't see how we would get the deal done.

I think it’s more a case of the media not knowing but needing to fill bandwidth and with the current upheaval at cockburn it’s easy to link Kelly with the dockers

Nobody knows what Kelly’s intentions are and I’d hazard a guess he doesn’t know himself just yet

shooshka

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
If free's against count toward disposal efficiency I'd have to say the AFL's measurement systems are a mockery to the sport... so yeah you're probably right on the money there.

I just checked the AFL tables stats and was proven wrong. 100 clangers for Shuey, 25 frees against (frees against are automatically counted as clangers).

compared to the other top clanger 'winners' he has a low FA count. (38/103 O'Meara, 31/101 Oliver)

Avalor

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
Jakarta
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth, Donnybrook, Chelsea
as Kerr said on Coast to Coast why are we allowing a players to kick another player?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Speaking of Coast to Coast, I listened to Schoey talking about his time in the coach'es box - very interesting/surprising for me regarding the level-headedness of Simmo and his sidekicks.

Feb 5, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Coast (AFLW)
Is a clanger kick just a kick that doesnt hit a team mate?

Do kicks upfield to the advantage of a forward that dont actually hit the target but give a good opportunity for the forward counted as a clanger even if the resulted play ends in a goal?

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

A kick to a contest past a certain distance is always counted as effective. Shuey kicks it straight to opposition surprisingly often, especially the last few games.

MrKK

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 11, 2012
City of churches
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Sturt, Southampton FC, LSU
I still have a 20cm scar on my leg when some campaigner snap kicked me in a marking contest. Raised studs in a deliberate attempt to fend off should not be allowed. I rekcon Darling and JK should use it as a deliberate fend off considering they get scragged off the ball all the time. fu** the AFL and the whiny Richmond w***ers.
I'm loathe to wish for an injury, but I'll make an exception if someone copies Riewoldt's tactics against one of his teammates in the finals and ends their season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back