Roast IF it isn't biased or ncompetent..... THEN it must be inciteful media coverage part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

KERRPOW

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 28, 2008
in a town near you
AFL Club
West Coast
I might get howled down for this, but can we agree to implement some kind of threshold for posts in this thread?

Half of the stuff that gets posted in here comes across as WA whingeing - tie colours, Vic newspapers pumping up their teams, typos in articles, etc. Come on guys.

The irony about whinging in this post is strong :p

I think we need a panel of judges who people can submit their coverage to and if they agree it's biased/incompetent it can be posted in this thread, and if it's not they're forced the guest on the podcast for a week.

I nominate alphy and Gunnar for the judges.

06Premiers

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal, Lakers
I think we need a panel of judges who people can submit their coverage to and if they agree it's biased/incompetent it can be posted in this thread, and if it's not they're forced the mow the judges lawns. Assuming they are manly enough to start the mowers.

I nominate alphy and Gunnar for the judges.

KERRPOW

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 28, 2008
in a town near you
AFL Club
West Coast
Yeah I agree. So is whinging about whinging about whinging.

I've edited the post to avoid this cyclical arugment.
Bit isn't that the heart of this thread.

I swear every 5 or so pages it's back to..."they didn't even mention the eagles on xxxx" ROFL

Here is a legitimate whinge about Vic bias. How come the general consencus when an interstate player nominates a Vic team that it's generally excepted. Kelly likely to nominate WCE and there is outrage

Jul 3, 2011
Perth, WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Man U, Jays, GS Warriors, Packers
Bit isn't that the heart of this thread.

I swear every 5 or so pages it's back to..."they didn't even mention the eagles on xxxx" ROFL

Here is a legitimate whinge about Vic bias. How come the general consencus when an interstate player nominates a Vic team that it's generally excepted. Kelly likely to nominate WCE and there is outrage

And it’s usually the exact same people having those two opinions.

flyinghi64

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2006
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
Anyone notice BT, I think, called Ryan Rioli when he got the ball but quickly corrected himself and said "Ryan it was".
I was flabergasted.
They actually corrected themselves, wonders will never cease.

Nov 15, 2013
Here
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Yes
Anyone notice BT, I think, called Ryan Rioli when he got the ball but quickly corrected himself and said "Ryan it was".
I was flabergasted.
They actually corrected themselves, wonders will never cease.
On the couch had Rioli highlights of all the Riolis Liam Ryan included .

Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Given the discussion around what is eligible for this thread thought this from the ABC is relevant

For those who can't be bothered (or are easily offended by the ABC) the focus is around how media can be talking about one person (e.g. Ryan) but be showing us pictures saying it's another (e.g. Rioli) and how it's actually offensive.

If you read the article in the context of the footy media don't just think about our indigenous boys but you can also easily apply it to anyone who wears our colours.

I know our fellow has missed a large chunk of footy and we won a Grand Final in his absence, but surely he gets a mention in this arrangement.

Goldstein, the 2015 All Australian ruckman, is in the second tier of AFL big men, behind only Brodie Grundy and Max Gawn

Ishmael_

Premiership Player
Apr 30, 2013
Six Thousand
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
South Fremantle
Jul 14, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool // Ferrari
No one mentioned this incompetence yet from The West on Saturday?

hN5MAvk.png
Probably because no one reads it

Grahame

Club Legend
Aug 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Please don't perpetuate the 'interstate' term. It is broadly accepted to mean non-Victorian teams. But when there are 8/18ths who are non-Victorian it is insulting and inaccurate for the national media to call them 'interstate'.
It might seem pedantic but language is important. Allowing the national media to make the term 'interstate' interchangeable with 'non-Victorian' allows them to continue putting Victoria at the centre of the AFL.
I live in Melbourne and constantly piss Vics off (lovely and easy to do) by saying 'do you mean interstate or do you mean non-Victorian? Oh sorry you actually mean 'non-Victorian' because to me interstate refers to 16 teams'. So easy to wind them up!!! :) :)

PS: one stat to trot out about how WA travel is an arduous disadvantage and thus shortens careers: only 0.66% of players make 300 games. We have had 248 players and Freo have 219 so collectively 467. By 0.66% means between us we should have 3.1 x 300 gamers and we've only got one (Pav).

Rowan18

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Please don't perpetuate the 'interstate' term. It is broadly accepted to mean non-Victorian teams. But when there are 8/18ths who are non-Victorian it is insulting and inaccurate for the national media to call them 'interstate'.
It might seem pedantic but language is important. Allowing the national media to make the term 'interstate' interchangeable with 'non-Victorian' allows them to continue putting Victoria at the centre of the AFL.
I live in Melbourne and constantly piss Vics off (lovely and easy to do) by saying 'do you mean interstate or do you mean non-Victorian? Oh sorry you actually mean 'non-Victorian' because to me interstate refers to 16 teams'. So easy to wind them up!!! :) :)

PS: one stat to trot out about how WA travel is an arduous disadvantage and thus shortens careers: only 0.66% of players make 300 games. We have had 248 players and Freo have 219 so collectively 467. By 0.66% means between us we should have 3.1 x 300 gamers and we've only got one (Pav).
Mundy makes two and Cousins would have made it if he didn't go off the rails. If Cox played for a s**t team like freo, he'd probably have hit 350 like Pav. We had to retire him as we were entering into another premiership window.

Melbourne Demons have only had one players in their entire history (Neitz) reach 300, so that can be a misleading stat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back