Roast IF it isn't biased or ncompetent..... THEN it must be inciteful media coverage part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreeTK

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
At lot of the issues stem from the need to subsidize clubs who are not financially viable in an already over saturated market. The AFL are kicking the can down the road by not directly addressing the viability of some clubs and how that relates to the viability of competition in the long term. I think the AFL made a terrible strategic decision by expanding further into NSW and Qld, they basically added two more dependents into an already over dependent system. They can't really back out of it now without merging some Vic clubs together. As the dependency rises, efforts to maximize profit will become more aggressive which may be the end of any sense of fairness the comp might have left.

Disagree.

Expansion in to NSW and QLD is furthering the concept of a national competition. Now that the AFL needs to recover their financial position, gains in non-traditional markets are more important than ever. That includes the two expansion states and AFLW. There is next to no growth to be had in VIC/WA/SA.
Even a minimal increase of 5% growth in QLD and NSW represents millions and millions of dollars and investment in AFL infrastructure, and kids playing AFL when they would have chosen other sports.

You don't get to call yourself an advocate for the national comp if you also throw GWS and the Suns under the bus at the first opportunity.

Agree RE: too many teams in Victoria. That is the root cause of many of the league's current inequities. I was hoping COVID might solve that issue, unfortunately it may not.

May 8, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Disagree.

Expansion in to NSW and QLD is furthering the concept of a national competition. Now that the AFL needs to recover their financial position, gains in non-traditional markets are more important than ever. That includes the two expansion states and AFLW. There is next to no growth to be had in VIC/WA/SA.
Even a minimal increase of 5% growth in QLD and NSW represents millions and millions of dollars and investment in AFL infrastructure, and kids playing AFL when they would have chosen other sports.

You don't get to call yourself an advocate for the national comp if you also throw GWS and the Suns under the bus at the first opportunity.

Agree RE: too many teams in Victoria. That is the root cause of many of the league's current inequities. I was hoping COVID might solve that issue, unfortunately it may not.
You will never have grass roots support in those states no matter how much infrastructure you throw at it. A single team that existed in those states was already enough given the demographics and support of AFL there (rugby will always be king). A better investment would have been in Tasmania and the NT who are traditional aussie rules states with massive potential not only for cultivating talent but catering to the communities desire for their own teams. All they are doing is forcing into those areas because thats where more people live, its was a cynical ploy by bean counters.

FreeTK

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
You will never have grass roots support in those states no matter how much infrastructure you throw at it. A single team that existed in those states was already enough given the demographics and support of AFL there (rugby will always be king). A better investment would have been in Tasmania and the NT who are traditional aussie rules states with massive potential. All they are doing is forcing into those areas because thats where more people live, its was a cynical ploy by bean counters.

Agree RE Tassie - will require huge support around retention of players, issues around North/South divide in Tassie etc. Tassie government seem to finally lost their patience with North (less so hawks) and they will be out on their ass after 2021.

NT is far more difficult due to Dry/Wet season. NTFL season starts in September due to it being dry season there.

Grahame

Club Legend
Aug 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
But there is an imbalance that exists in the AFL and my contention is that the way to fix it is through the media.

What I want, what we all want, is a fair and balanced competition ... one that acknowledges and celebrates the achievements in football all over Australia and ESPECIALLY in the footy heartlands of WA, SA, TAS, and NT. Not just Victoria.

But the AFL is never held to account for its Victorian gaze because footy’s fourth estate holds a matching perspective. In my opinion, the competition will remain compromised and skewed until a more national and diverse AFL media can shine a light on the plight of non-Victorian clubs.

Yep spot on, this is the bee in my bonnet. This is why I put up the OP in the first iteration of this thread focusing on 'biased/incompetent media'. Things might be changing but if so it is very very slowly. As the old VFL media dinosaurs become extinct then hopefully a new breed may give a more national perspective. However, if the overwhelming majority are from one place (e.g. Melbourne) then it is logical that they see the comp from that perspective. We simply need a greater diversity of commentators i.e. from non-Vic states (like JBrown or CCornes). Or like Malthouse who at least has had non-Vic experience.

One last point. I think part of the 'problem' is that we are successful - too successful - and that simply rubs some 'anti-interstaters' noses in it.

ziad

Brownlow Medallist
May 2, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
Disagree.

The biggest economies in Aust - in decending order are:
Sydney
Melb
Western Sydney
SE Qld

Long term you have to be there

Hungry tiger left us with one great phase though.

1600150410822.png

I think that segment from ABC radio about the GF location decision and what he had to say about Gil and the AFL really shows what they think of non-victorians or at least West Aussies at AFL house.

Ishmael_

Premiership Player
Apr 30, 2013
Six Thousand
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
South Fremantle
You will never have grass roots support in those states no matter how much infrastructure you throw at it. A single team that existed in those states was already enough given the demographics and support of AFL there (rugby will always be king). A better investment would have been in Tasmania and the NT who are traditional aussie rules states with massive potential not only for cultivating talent but catering to the communities desire for their own teams. All they are doing is forcing into those areas because thats where more people live, its was a cynical ploy by bean counters.

I agree that just throwing money at elite sport, one-off grand finals etc. won't get you anywhere. But I think the AFL has actually been really pro-active in building grassroots participation in NSW and especially in Qld.

Participation at a local level has gone through the roof and the numbers of women in particular playing Aussie Rules in Qld has been huge, I believe they are second after Victoria for playing numbers, which is insane.

Grassroots aren't just a mythical byword for community interest in a sport, but do take consistent funding, volunteers etc. to grow and that's where the AFL will make ground in Qld, if indeed they do make ground.

ziad

Brownlow Medallist
May 2, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
I agree that just throwing money at elite sport, one-off grand finals etc. won't get you anywhere. But I think the AFL has actually been really pro-active in building grassroots participation in NSW and especially in Qld.

Participation at a local level has gone through the roof and the numbers of women in particular playing Aussie Rules in Qld has been huge, I believe they are second after Victoria for playing numbers, which is insane.

Grassroots aren't just a mythical byword for community interest in a sport, but do take consistent funding, volunteers etc. to grow and that's where the AFL will make ground in Qld, if indeed they do make ground.
QLD govt has promised to fund community AFL fields - a strong part of their bid to get the GF

Jun 18, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
NSW and Queensland will always be rugby states but AFL is making progress in both states. I moved to NSW nearly a decade ago and there was barely a mention of AFL, even with the Swans making Grand Finals in 2005, 2006, 2012 and 2014. Now, AFL is frequently mentioned on TV and radio, appears in the newspapers, more and more people have AFL merchandise and schoolkids here are at least aware of the Swans and Giants. Still a long way to go but footy will get there.

ziad

Brownlow Medallist
May 2, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
NSW and Queensland will always be rugby states but AFL is making progress in both states. I moved to NSW nearly a decade ago and there was barely a mention of AFL, even with the Swans making Grand Finals in 2005, 2006, 2012 and 2014. Now, AFL is frequently mentioned on TV and radio, appears in the newspapers, more and more people have AFL merchandise and schoolkids here are at least aware of the Swans and Giants. Still a long way to go but footy will get there.
You only need a share of 8M people to do well.

Jun 20, 2008
Rainy Park City
AFL Club
West Coast
It's not helpful to encourage posters, especially those that can articulate themselves well, to leave a thread or board, just because we don't like what they are saying.

This is going down the way most internet conversations are - zero sum game arguments.

Nobody is suggesting that Vic-bias doesn't exist - it still does! But it's not as bad as 20 years ago, even if we need to still apply pressure on things now. It's also true that anti-vic bias exists on here too. The obsession with finding the 3% of a new rule, or fixture, or plan which disadvantages us is remarkable.

We can continue to spend our energy doing that, or....we can apply pressure on the big things. Email McGowan and tell him you want the quarantine restrictions relaxed so we can host the first final. Email him and tell him you want them relaxed so that WA can host a hub from round 1 next year, if we need to. Or, if you are fine with the quarantine restrictions, don't - that's cool too - but don't scream Vic bias when you get an outcome you don't like. Email him and tell him you want him to negotiate with the AFL so that Perth Stadium is contractually guaranteed to get the GF if, at any time, the MCG cannot host in the next 35 years.

Email Gil and tell him to stop sending us to Tassie. Email Gil and tell him we should stick with a 17 round season and re-instate state of origin if the TV wants their money. Email Trevor and suggest that we ask to 'hub' in Melbourne for 2 week blocks next year a couple of times (play 3 games but only travel once) and then have an extended home run at other times - if we must play in Tassie, send us in the middle week.

We can bleat on here, or we can channel our energy on the right topics to be heard.

I certainly have no problem with different points of view.

But I don't find it especially helpful when people start calling others names because they disagree. It makes me wonder whether they may enjoy a less 'controversial' thread to chill to.

For the record there are some great points being made on this thread on both sides of the argument. Keep it up.

Last edited:

06Premiers

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal, Lakers
The reasoning for the nomination is pretty poor - how do they justify the nominations in the early rounds then? Should be one or the other. Stinks like AA nominations (or lack there of) being because you have to put 2 good seasons together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back