Roast IF it isn't biased or ncompetent..... THEN it must be inciteful media coverage part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 4, 2003
WA
AFL Club
West Coast

The only solution to this issue is to move their houses to Perth for the week.

If they start now they should be all set up in time with the bye.

Luckily though, Simpson is on our side...

217FD9E6-9B7C-41DA-BEA8-B89AE96DCE27.gif

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast

FFS, Victorian flogs at their very best.

Veteran footy writer Caroline Wilson believes a likely elimination finals advantage for West Coast will be “incredibly tough” on its direct opponent, reporting that some clubs are “a bit uncomfortable” Adam Simpson’s men will be able to ‘home quarantine’.

“Some clubs are a bit uncomfortable about this,” Wilson told Footy Classified. “They (the Eagles) are in quarantine but it’s home quarantine.

“I know if you finish seventh or eighth that you can’t expect many favours … West Coast have had to fly to the MCG and win premierships with all of the disadvantages we have heard about. But that is tough for the other side.”

Wilson suggested all finals-bound clubs should instead hub in Queensland.

“West Coast have rightly campaigned for this and they weren’t going to get a final after week one because of the complications of the quarantine. But I think it’s incredibly tough on all the other clubs, or certainly the one club that goes over,” she said.

What an incredibly bias article. At no stage did Wilson mention that both Port and the Lions share the exact same advantage. It reads as if only one team in the competition is getting this advantage.

As for all finals should be played in QLD. Wilson can GAGF. This from a Richmond supporter who have been gifted so much home ground advantage and little travel over the years. Now that a non Victorian team gets a slight advantage her view is 'no, that's not right, it should be a level playing field'.

What a bias BS article!!!

FreeTK

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
*waits for the FreeTK melt about vicbias not existing*

When I heard what she said, I thought it was one of the stupidest things I heard.

It's strange that the situation with Week 1 of finals is somehow an issue for West Coast, but Port and Brisbane sleeping in their own beds is a non-issue.

Can't say her opinion has garnered much support though. Not too many folks agree that it's unfair.

Cumbersome, tedious, yes.

Unfair. Not so much.

Bestbird

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 18, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
Regarding the Vic Bias

I think the most telling point in how the AFL runs the competition is the extension of the MCG grand final contract. There was no discussion leading up to the decision at all as far as I am aware which is pretty poor given the length of the contract.

The article below is pretty insightfull in this regard

Last edited:
Is there anything in the WA quarantine conditions that will make preparing for the elimination final (and the rest of the final series) more difficult? I know teams can’t leave their hotel except for training but is there any limit on the amount of training they can do?

Under the AFL protocols all clubs are still limited in the size of groups and the amount of contact training they can do, I believe. Is WA any more restrictive?

That’s the only reason they’d actually have to complain.

FreeTK

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Is there anything in the WA quarantine conditions that will make preparing for the elimination final (and the rest of the final series) more difficult? I know teams can’t leave their hotel except for training but is there any limit on the amount of training they can do?

Under the AFL protocols all clubs are still limited in the size of groups and the amount of contact training they can do, I believe. Is WA any more restrictive?

That’s the only reason they’d actually have to complain.

Under quarantine they can't leave the quarantine zone i.e. resort and training facility.

In QLD you can get a coffee, or food, go to supermarket.

The biggest thing that makes it a problem, from what I can tell is that it is 7 days quarantine not including the day of arrival.

So teams will need to fly in Friday for a final the next saturday.

After first week, that just won't work.

Let's say we finish 4th, play port on Saturday, lose.

There is no way that the AFL can organise a fixture for the SF in Perth.

At the very best, you'd have a team on standby to fly out of QLD to Perth in the even we lose, they get to Perth Saturday night, Quarantine starts Sunday, SF is scheduled for Sunday week, then there is 5 days + flight to prepare for PF.

The logistics are extremely difficult nigh impossible.

ukurrie

Team Captain
Jul 12, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Las Vegas Raiders
West Coast have been pretty good citizens on this front. I think they offered to also hub in a hotel, if that was a dealbreaker for the AFL. Sounds like the AFL have been more sensible on this one than the clickbait journos.

twinkletoes#17

Coaster
May 30, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Oooof usual media campaign against the Eagles during finals starting early this year...

- Nisbett a mafioso of the AFL.
- Quarantine in our own beds putting the game into disrepute.
- Only Vics are making a sacrifice.
- Only Vics will have earnt the premiership.
- Only Vics exist.

Looking forward to the next instalment.

Oooof usual media campaign against the Eagles during finals starting early this year...

- Nisbett a mafioso of the AFL.
- Quarantine in our own beds putting the game into disrepute.
- Only Vics are making a sacrifice.
- Only Vics will have earnt the premiership.
- Only Vics exist.

Looking forward to the next instalment.

Ex-Eagle tell all interview or arrest night before final?

Caffeine re-defined as a performance enhancing drug. Several of the boys caught drinking coffee. Results of positive tests delayed until the night before the first final.

Headline: DANIEL KERR CAUGHT SPEEDING 67 IN A 60 ZONE HIGH ON CAFFEINE

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
Amazing that it’s coming from a few clubs not comfortable with us having a home final

probably the same ones not comfortable with us playing against north at home, or training in groups of 10

These 'clubs' are the powerful 'stakeholders' that pressure the AFL for favors their way and complain about any advantage an interstate team can get no matter how small.

This is actually a real picture of Gill taken recently in QLD.

1600324399031.png

Jun 20, 2008
Rainy Park City
AFL Club
West Coast
FFS, Victorian flogs at their very best.

Veteran footy writer Caroline Wilson believes a likely elimination finals advantage for West Coast will be “incredibly tough” on its direct opponent, reporting that some clubs are “a bit uncomfortable” Adam Simpson’s men will be able to ‘home quarantine’.

“Some clubs are a bit uncomfortable about this,” Wilson told Footy Classified. “They (the Eagles) are in quarantine but it’s home quarantine.

“I know if you finish seventh or eighth that you can’t expect many favours … West Coast have had to fly to the MCG and win premierships with all of the disadvantages we have heard about. But that is tough for the other side.”

Wilson suggested all finals-bound clubs should instead hub in Queensland.

“West Coast have rightly campaigned for this and they weren’t going to get a final after week one because of the complications of the quarantine. But I think it’s incredibly tough on all the other clubs, or certainly the one club that goes over,” she said.

What an incredibly bias article. At no stage did Wilson mention that both Port and the Lions share the exact same advantage. It reads as if only one team in the competition is getting this advantage.

As for all finals should be played in QLD. Wilson can GAGF. This from a Richmond supporter who have been gifted so much home ground advantage and little travel over the years. Now that a non Victorian team gets a slight advantage her view is 'no, that's not right, it should be a level playing field'.

What a bias BS article!!!
Yep. Not a peep from Caro last year when Richmond had their last 7 home and away games at the MCG about how "uncomfortable" it might make some clubs.

In 2018 when Chris Judd, talking from experience, noted how "incredibly tough" it was for a non-Victorian team to win a GF at the MCG, Caro's eloquent response was a glib: "Didn't seem to trouble Brisbane."

Ok Caro, so as long as we are able to field a team with 3 Brownlow medalists through the mid, 1 Brownlow medalist up forward, and the extra concessions the Lions received to set them up, we should be all set.

Easy : (

Caroline Wilson is a prime example of what is wrong with the football media. Completely focused on Victorian sensibilities and openly dismissive of the plight of clubs from outside that state. Worse, she seems blind to irregularities that give her club a leg up, whilst leading the charge against anything that may advantage another.

The biggest concern however is that as a mover and shaker in the AFL news media, her views and opinions are more often than not picked up by the rest of the Melbourne based talking heads. We are already seeing this.

I hope I am wrong but I believe this will be THE talking point for the next two weeks during any pre-game analysis of our first final home in Perth. Rather than focus on how great it will be to watch a game in front of 40K vocal fans, the discussion will linger on the fairness of it all and what a glorious victory it will be for the opposing team if they can do it.

As Tom Browne's tweet indicates, should this premiership be won by a Victorian team, they will be celebrated as one of the greatest premiers of all time. Should either of West Coast, Brisbane, or Port happen to get up, well it will simply be another cup with an asterisk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back