Roast IF it isn't biased or ncompetent..... THEN it must be inciteful media coverage part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not biased or incompetent but can’t find a spot for it

3rd favourite to miss the eight

Good.

We seem to do better when there are no expectations. We have the talent but I question the hunger.

There is some massive over-rating of Freo going into next year. I suspect the media did their usual trick of forgetting that they existed, then got excited when they won an upset victory over Collingwood (who then went on to under-achieve for most of the year). My issue with them is that they still don't have enough reliable talls, so won't be able to score enough points and will struggle to stop the teams with at least two good KPF.

Fremantle do actually have a very good defensive unit in development - however to suggest that it is superior to West Coast's is simply foolish.

That said, the Dockers did receive the raw end of the fixture this year, travelling more km than any other club and having 6 matches where their opponents had 2+ greater days break than they had. Considering those factors in combination with injuries to key players and a new coach trying to establish a new philosophy during COVID-affected training they did very well in finishing as high as they did - from July onwards they went 7-6.

A fixture that is easier plus another year of development and education in the new system only suggests that they will improve further in 2021.

If they actually had a key forward worth kicking to they would be dangerous.

Mick McGuane rates our backline 6th in the comp.
Somehow Freo's is the 4th best :rolleyes:

6. West Coast
The top liners: Brad Sheppard (18, 90), Tom Barrass (18, 81), Liam Duggan (17, 83), Shannon Hurn (17, 89), Alex Witherden (6, 94), Jeremy McGovern (12, 90), Tom Cole (15, 67), Jackson Nelson (15, 72)

The top-ups: Luke Foley (1, 34), Harry Edwards (1, 14)

McGuane says: At their absolute best, when they are all healthy and playing well together, there is a strong argument that the Eagles defenders could be higher on this list. When playing at their absolute best they have potentially four players pushing for All-Australian selectionJeremy McGovern is the best intercept marking defender in the competition, I trust Brad Sheppard (he made the All-Australian team in 2020), Shannon Hurn has been so consistent for a long period of time and Tom Barrass, who continues to elevate himself as a key defender. The reason why this group is so good is that they read the cues of the opposition kicker better than most teams. I just love defenders who mark the ball and this is why I rate the West Coast Eagles defence because they have players that back themselves in and go for their marks when others prefer to spoil.

4. Fremantle
The top liners: Luke Ryan (17, 107), Nathan Wilson (15, 74), Reece Conca (14, 69) Ethan Hughes (17, 71) Taylin Duman (15, 66), Brennan Cox (13, 80), Hayden Young (5, 52), Stephen Hill (12, 63)
So we've got 4 players pushing for AA selection but have the 6th best backline in the comp?

Mick McGuane rates our backline 6th in the comp.
Somehow Freo's is the 4th best :rolleyes:

6. West Coast
The top liners: Brad Sheppard (18, 90), Tom Barrass (18, 81), Liam Duggan (17, 83), Shannon Hurn (17, 89), Alex Witherden (6, 94), Jeremy McGovern (12, 90), Tom Cole (15, 67), Jackson Nelson (15, 72)

The top-ups: Luke Foley (1, 34), Harry Edwards (1, 14)

McGuane says: At their absolute best, when they are all healthy and playing well together, there is a strong argument that the Eagles defenders could be higher on this list. When playing at their absolute best they have potentially four players pushing for All-Australian selection — Jeremy McGovern is the best intercept marking defender in the competition, I trust Brad Sheppard (he made the All-Australian team in 2020), Shannon Hurn has been so consistent for a long period of time and Tom Barrass, who continues to elevate himself as a key defender. The reason why this group is so good is that they read the cues of the opposition kicker better than most teams. I just love defenders who mark the ball and this is why I rate the West Coast Eagles defence because they have players that back themselves in and go for their marks when others prefer to spoil.

4. Fremantle
The top liners: Luke Ryan (17, 107), Nathan Wilson (15, 74), Reece Conca (14, 69) Ethan Hughes (17, 71) Taylin Duman (15, 66), Brennan Cox (13, 80), Hayden Young (5, 52), Stephen Hill (12, 63)

In fairness, despite our quality down back we let plenty through.

5th defence for points conceded and 7th for points scored in the top 8. Despite our vaunted back and forward lines.

We had a total car crash of a season in hind-sight. Nothing clicked despite Naita dominating.

Confusing as he talks up the backline as if its the best backline...but 6th..

Who were the other 4 in the top 5?

Would have though the improvements of Duggan, Cole & Nelson would have us higher plus the inclusion of Witho to the list.

Also we have 7 AA's over three players in that backline.
Here are the top 6.

Richmond
Port
Collingwood
Freo
Geelong and
WC.

I can't believe he had Port rated as 2nd TBH.

Port: Tom Jonas, Hamish Hartlett , Dan Houston Tom Clurey , Trent McKenzie Darcy Byrne-Jones, Aliir Aliir Ryan Burton

In fairness, despite our quality down back we let plenty through.

5th defence for points conceded and 7th for points scored in the top 8. Despite our vaunted back and forward lines.

We had a total car crash of a season in hind-sight. Nothing clicked despite Naita dominating.
I don't think you can just go on points for and against though.

It all depends on how the team is going overall.
Pressure up the field etc.

The first 3 games pretty much blew the stats out of the water anyway.
IMO, there's no way Port have a better backline than us.

I don't think you can just go on points for and against though.

It all depends on how the team is going overall.
Pressure up the field etc.

The first 3 games pretty much blew the stats out of the water anyway.
IMO, there's no way Port have a better backline than us.

"The games where we sucked don't count"

I reckon we should only count the game where we flogged Collingwood.

2020 Premiers.

It all depends on how the team is going overall...

We had a total car crash of a season in hind-sight.

I think this is how we went overall.

RelievedDistantBorderterrier-size_restricted.gif

The flip is where we lost to ******* Collingwood at home.

I think this is how we went overall.

RelievedDistantBorderterrier-size_restricted.gif

The flip is where we lost to ******* Collingwood at home.

2020 was mediocre but luckily we were on the right side of the ledger in the 2018 GF. We were never doing much damage in 2020 finals anyway.

Port probably do their Jekyll and Hyde act again in 2021 and miss the 8 and Hinkley is on the chopping block again.

rinse.repeat

They got KFC as a "back of jumper" sponsor though so thats what i thought Mick McGuane was rating "best backs (of jumpers)"

Think I’d prefer Zinger goals to Whopper goals

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The sauce is one of the worst big mac sauce knock-offs around. Heinz and Praise's burger sauces are much better. Coles' one was the worst by far out of the supermarket ones I've tried.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back