Roast IF it isn't biased or ncompetent..... THEN it must be inciteful media coverage part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I had to laugh at the media bias at the Herald Sun. Discussing a super draft in 2021, the claim Richmond and Geelong are the big movers for next year

1608179000575.png

Richmond - yes. They hold an extra R1 an extra R2 and an extra R3 having lost their R4.

Geelong - really!!!! The BODE hold 2 extra R2 but have lost their R1!

What about Brisbane holding an extra R1 and R3 at the loss of a R2? We look to have invested more with an extra R2 and upgraded R3. Oh well.

I love the way News Corp seem to suck up to Geelong and Steven Wells.

We also lost the bald guy with glasses who was our strategy analyst.

The coaches you mentioned do have some big work ahead of them in regards to game plans and such.

Hopefully they are spending their spare time playing AFL live on Xbox/PS to get some tips.
AFL banned it for interstate teams, as was deemed an unfair advantage because hardwick couldn't work out the PS controls

How bad is ABC Radio's Geoff Christian Medal?

Since 2015, one of our more successful eras with a Premiership from two Grand Finals, no Eagle has won the award.

Since the first medal was awarded in 1999, an Eagle has won it seven times (Cousins, Judd, Kerr (x2), Waters (in 2010, the year LeCras took out the Woosha Medal, leading goalkicker award, set the Etihad goal kicking record vs Essendon, and made the AA team) and Priddis (x2)). Judd's 18 votes in 2006 is the least number of votes for a winner. Followed by Waters with 19.

A Docker has won it 16 times, including the last six in succession.

PS: Geoff Christian's Soaring remains the best ever book written about the Eagles so it's a shame his name has been besmirched by the ABC's clear bias.

Since 2015, one of our more successful eras with a Premiership from two Grand Finals, no Eagle has won the award.

Since the first medal was awarded in 1999, an Eagle has won it seven times (Cousins, Judd, Kerr (x2), Waters (in 2010, the year LeCras took out the Woosha Medal, leading goalkicker award, set the Etihad goal kicking record vs Essendon, and made the AA team) and Priddis (x2)). Judd's 18 votes in 2006 is the least number of votes for a winner. Followed by Waters with 19.

PS: Geoff Christian's Soaring remains the best ever book written about the Eagles so it's a shame his name has been besmirched by the ABC's clear bias.

It's a bit of a flawed system though. It is awarded to Dockers players in Dockers games and Eagles players in theirs. So end of you still get players getting max votes available even if their teams are s**t.

But ultimately look at it this way.

Fremantle has a few stand out players every year where as we have a more even team performance so our votes are spread more evenly.

Comparing the finals appearances, premierships and just overall records proves this :cool:

Some bizarre selections in the West’s Eagles team of the decade. Masten? Sam Butler??

I’m swapping out the entire interchange bench for Embley, Kerr, Rioli and Jetta. The former two didn’t play heaps of games but were among our best in 2011. Kerr especially played some blinders. Rioli gets in on the strength of his 2018 alone and Jetta’s incisive kicking was also critical to our premiership.

WEST COAST’S TEAM OF THE DECADE
B: Brad Sheppard (182 Eagles games this decade), Darren Glass (74), Eric Mackenzie (105)

HB: Shannon Hurn (213), Jeremy McGovern (138), Beau Waters (38)

C: Andrew Gaff (215), Matt Priddis (157), Dom Sheed (119)

HF: Liam Ryan (55), Jack Darling (214), Jamie Cripps (161)

F: Mark LeCras (141), Josh Kennedy (193), Dean Cox (88)

Ruck: Nic Naitanui (151), Elliot Yeo (138), Luke Shuey (208)

Int: Scott Selwood (92), Jack Redden (95), Chris Masten (174), Sam Butler (100)

Some bizarre selections in the West’s Eagles team of the decade. Masten? Sam Butler??

I’m swapping out the entire interchange bench for Embley, Kerr, Rioli and Jetta. The former two didn’t play heaps of games but were among our best in 2011. Kerr especially played some blinders. Rioli gets in on the strength of his 2018 alone and Jetta’s incisive kicking was also critical to our premiership.

WEST COAST’S TEAM OF THE DECADE
B: Brad Sheppard (182 Eagles games this decade), Darren Glass (74), Eric Mackenzie (105)

HB: Shannon Hurn (213), Jeremy McGovern (138), Beau Waters (38)

C: Andrew Gaff (215), Matt Priddis (157), Dom Sheed (119)

HF: Liam Ryan (55), Jack Darling (214), Jamie Cripps (161)

F: Mark LeCras (141), Josh Kennedy (193), Dean Cox (88)

Ruck: Nic Naitanui (151), Elliot Yeo (138), Luke Shuey (208)

Int: Scott Selwood (92), Jack Redden (95), Chris Masten (174), Sam Butler (100)
I wouldn't say they were bizarre but they've obviously gone more for longevity than peak performance for the interchange. Embley only had 1 good year in the decade. Same with Rioli. Kerr had a couple so could get squeezed in over Selwood and Jetta probably over Butts.

I wouldn't say they were bizarre but they've obviously gone more for longevity than peak performance for the interchange. Embley only had 1 good year in the decade. Same with Rioli. Kerr had a couple so could get squeezed in over Selwood and Jetta probably over Butts.

Yeah fair enough, bizarre is probably a bit strong. I guess I just naturally gravitate towards big game players with this kind of thing and find it hard to justify overlooking someone like Kerr, even if he wasn’t part of the Simpson era

As mentioned by others, it is due to a team with three good players getting the same amount of votes as the other team that has a dozen - obviously those standouts in the lesser team are going to benefit from the discrepancy.

The easiest way to fix the problem is to only give out such votes in matches where the team actually wins.

Under that circumstance, in 2020 for example rather than both teams tallying 102 votes each, West Coast would have 72 votes and Fremantle 42 respectively, which is more likely to provide a result in the medal that is reflective of the actual outcome of the season across the two WA clubs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fremantle have to try and get something to put in the cupboards though. doing it fairly would just go against them XD

I'm assuming it's 2011-2020?

Waters only had one good year in that time too (2012). Was AA that year but I'm not sure it's enough to make the team. But I love the fact they squeezed him in based on 38 games, one of my all-time favourites, did a heap of work off-field, and always seemed like he'd be captain :(
Beauy ringside at the end of the 2018 grannie.

So. Good.

A 42 year old victorian living in victoria causing trouble in victoria listed at 2x victorian clubs AFTER being delisted by WEST COAST after just ONE SOLITARY year.

But he is EX WEST COAST listed PLAYER

And they wonder why we have a bit of a complex about this crap and the media.
Team Trump.

Is anyone but the WA papers calling him an ex Eagle?

News.com.au did as well, but that's only because they regurgitated the Perthnow article

Headline was just pure clickbait to get the local crowd interested, and it worked a treat

If you're outraged at the quality of journalism and sensationalist headline then that's on you. It's nothing new, and we should be used to it by now.
Aye, brought to you by the same people lobbying the govt to make google/facebook pay for advertising their content.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back