Roast IF it isn't biased or ncompetent..... THEN it must be inciteful media coverage part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
When was the last time we lost a final at home before Simmo took over? 1991 against Hawks?

I'm pretty happy with the highs (played in GF both times we made top 2) but losing home elimination finals is pretty poor. The biggest problem is that the team is either "on" (2015 QF, 2017 EF, 2018) or rolls over (2016 EF, Q1 2020).

So what you are trying to say is that when we play finals we sometime win and sometimes lose!

Got it! :thumbsu: ;)

shooshka

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
It’s his thing to ‘rock the boat’ but he’s not wrong - most of the media are tip toeing around it for some reason, but the vast majority have us around 5th-7th this year aka No Man’s Land (when you are a successful club). It’s not unrealistic though, with a handful of injuries to key players and other teams on the rise, that we drop a few more than expected and finish 10th-12th this year.

We are relying on Darling, McGovern, Kelly, Shuey (gulp) and Yeo (GULP!) recapturing their best form after underwhelming 2020 seasons.

We need Cripps and Redden to bounce back too before they go the way of Masten and Jetta and get tapped on the shoulder.

Continued improvement from established players that could potentially go to another level in Ryan, Barrass, Sheed and Duggan.

Maintained form from Sheppard, Gaff and Naitanui (which is completely up in the air by the way, due to quarters returning to full length and him not being able to run out full games).

The young talent is thin on the ground, led by Oscar Allen and then...uhhh uh oh...mostly untried/raw talent. Not much expectations there outside of Oscar.

On top of that, we still need Kennedy and Hurn to play top level footy for another year.

A lot has to go right this year if we are any chance of getting above that 5th-7th mark, and not that much has to go wrong for us to drop below it.

I think it is fair to call our young talent untried - the proof is in the pudding that they haven't been sighted at AFL level for most part.

I wouldn't call Xon, Williams and Edwards (H) raw - they have been on our list a number of years and all have at least some exposure to AFL. Even a guy like Ainsworth, whilst preferably depth, has shown he can come in a perform a specific role at AFL level (at a standard that keeps the coaches happy at least - if not the BF board!). Brander also.

We're unlikely to get Yeo/Shuey level performance out of Xon, but any team that is relying on young talent to do that is gone from the outset (GC/Rowell excluded). We need senior players (Gaff/Sheed/Duggan) to fill those roles - and Xon/Brander/etc to come in and play the 2nd/3rd/4th stringer role.

Aug 4, 2003
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
I think it is fair to call our young talent untried - the proof is in the pudding that they haven't been sighted at AFL level for most part.

I wouldn't call Xon, Williams and Edwards (H) raw - they have been on our list a number of years and all have at least some exposure to AFL. Even a guy like Ainsworth, whilst preferably depth, has shown he can come in a perform a specific role at AFL level (at a standard that keeps the coaches happy at least - if not the BF board!). Brander also.

We're unlikely to get Yeo/Shuey level performance out of Xon, but any team that is relying on young talent to do that is gone from the outset (GC/Rowell excluded). We need senior players (Gaff/Sheed/Duggan) to fill those roles - and Xon/Brander/etc to come in and play the 2nd/3rd/4th stringer role.

I agree - hence I focused on the senior players. Honestly, if Darling, McGovern and Kelly all have excellent seasons, we’ll be in with a shot for playing more than 1 final.

The youth we currently have in the squad will be contesting for positions with the guys who occupy positions 18-22 in the current line up - out of Cole, Nelson, Witherden, Ah Chee, Langdon, Jones, Rotham etc - any kind of outstanding performance from that group will be a bonus, not the difference maker, and unlikely to happen consistently either way.

Aug 4, 2003
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
From Fox Footy’s report card from the weekend:....

AB79444C-EFF0-44B4-BDD4-E7D7479EC3AF.jpeg

Now I am definitely happy to critique our somehow weakest area - the midfield - but this assessment is a bit lame considering the same article states that Naitanui, Sheed and Kelly starred. Without Shuey and Yeo we have a ‘middle of the pack’ midfield group with a very good ruckman (and a dodgy back up who got 1 HO today)....but let’s face it, if you take out the 2 most damaging players from most midfields in the league, they are also likely to be ‘not as good as many say’...

ziad

Brownlow Medallist
May 2, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast

View attachment 1083027

Now I am definitely happy to critique our somehow weakest area - the midfield - but this assessment is a bit lame considering the same article states that Naitanui, Sheed and Kelly starred. Without Shuey and Yeo we have a ‘middle of the pack’ midfield group with a very good ruckman (and a dodgy back up who got 1 HO today)....but let’s face it, if you take out the 2 most damaging players from most midfields in the league, they are also likely to be ‘not as good as many say’...
Beats me why people read 'media'. Since my fish and chisp now comes in little boxes i have no need for the trash.

View attachment 1083027

Way too star-studded, except 2 or our 3 legitimate star mids were out?

Never change Fox

THE A5

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 26, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
Didn't know where to put this really.

Screen Shot 2021-03-23 at 8.14.58 PM.png

Seen the podcast/page floating around on a lot of social media sites. Pretty interesting for an Eagles pod that they've ballsed it up here. Sheed's 2018 campaign was off the back of him playing a lot more minutes on the inside and his best footy has come when he has been allowed to spend more time inside.

Feb 9, 2012
PERTH
AFL Club
West Coast
Sheed gets a pass for pretty much the rest of his career, for obvious reasons, but f**k me, he needs to start looking before he kicks the ball. Way to often it’s the old Mainy style of throw it on the boot blindly. I even watched him in the warm up, with the mids, tap down his throat, and he blindly kicks it around his body. I get needing to clear the area sometimes, but he just does it too often. Have a look Dom.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

wadistance

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2011
Hamburg, DE
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
BvB, Boston Celtics
It’s his thing to ‘rock the boat’ but he’s not wrong - most of the media are tip toeing around it for some reason, but the vast majority have us around 5th-7th this year aka No Man’s Land (when you are a successful club). It’s not unrealistic though, with a handful of injuries to key players and other teams on the rise, that we drop a few more than expected and finish 10th-12th this year.

We are relying on Darling, McGovern, Kelly, Shuey (gulp) and Yeo (GULP!) recapturing their best form after underwhelming 2020 seasons.

We need Cripps and Redden to bounce back too before they go the way of Masten and Jetta and get tapped on the shoulder.

Continued improvement from established players that could potentially go to another level in Ryan, Barrass, Sheed and Duggan.

Maintained form from Sheppard, Gaff and Naitanui (which is completely up in the air by the way, due to quarters returning to full length and him not being able to run out full games).

The young talent is thin on the ground, led by Oscar Allen and then...uhhh uh oh...mostly untried/raw talent. Not much expectations there outside of Oscar.

On top of that, we still need Kennedy and Hurn to play top level footy for another year.

A lot has to go right this year if we are any chance of getting above that 5th-7th mark, and not that much has to go wrong for us to drop below it.

So you mean, pretty normal things?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tugga27

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 19, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
From today's Sliding Doors"

"Order restored against the Blues on Thursday night. And Brodie Grundy is baaaack".

FMD.
Grundy was playing against struggling Marc Pittonet.
Let's see how he goes against some decent opposition before you start saying he's back.

May 2, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
From today's Sliding Doors"

"Order restored against the Blues on Thursday night. And Brodie Grundy is baaaack".

FMD.
Grundy was playing against struggling Marc Pittonet.
Let's see how he goes against some decent opposition before you start saying he's back.
Honestly, I watched the whole game and Grundy wasn't particularly noticeable.

Pittonet actually kicks those goals he fluffed and it's a very different story.

The wily weagle

Premiership Player
Oct 16, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
View attachment 1071947

Struggling to work out who that is on the right, but one person I'm sure it's not is Xavier O'Neill.

I suspect this is the Keyser Soze like Callan England, who was rumoured to have once spent time in our list, and has subsequently faded into football myth and legend. Photos of the man are nigh impossible to come by.

"Don't make the West Coast boys try to tackle" footballers tell their children, "Or else, Callan England be coming to get you"

Is it for this purpose, and the overwhelming terror Dusty feels at these words, that Richmond try to avoid playing us in Perth at all costs 😉😂

Grahame

Club Legend
Aug 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Vent ahead ...

Sorry but I can't stand having the commentators not being at the ground. Given the fact they are based in Melbourne it only reinforces the Vic-centric nature of the VFL ... sorry ... AFL. I know Ch7 will be happy to save the money but if the commentators aren't at the ground then they miss all the stuff that can't be seen on a monitor (and we all know how much more you see at the ground). Also by not being in the city where the game is being played they also don't get a feel for how the locals are thinking about all things footy.

Last night was Darcy, Richo and Hamish talking about 'interstate' or perpetuating the nonsense that a trip to the West is soooo difficult - yet a trip to Melbourne is ... well ... not difficult. Or that the Eagles have a huge home ground advantage while the Melbourne teams apparently don't when playing a non-Vic team (or the WA teams don't face a massive disadvantage travelling to Tas).
Also apparently Freo don't have the same home ground advantage as the Eagles ... well not when they are crap anyway. Strange. And the Suns don't seem to have a home ground advantage either. Also strange.

The match against Footscray was all about how magnificent the Dogs were, but did anyone in the media even mention that the Eagles were run over in the last part of the last Q after having had two days less rest, plus another day's travel, after playing in 34C heat. (And no that is not an excuse ... just a fact.)

Ahhh, that feels slightly better.

Brolga

Grumpy Old Git
Nov 20, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
Jordan Lewis is still so salty after that 2018 preliminary massacre, never a positive about West Coast without the next word being “however...”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back