Roast IF it isn't biased or ncompetent..... THEN it must be inciteful media coverage part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
22 footballers who played their entire career after September 2nd, 1996.

The best 22 since the V/AFL Team of the Century:
FB: Corey Enright, Matthew Scarlett, Josh Gibson
HB: Shannon Hurn, Alex Rance, Luke Hodge
C: Scott Pendlebury, Simon Black, Nat Fyfe
HF: Dustin Martin, Jonathan Brown, Patrick Dangerfield
FF: Adam Goodes, Lance Franklin, Eddie Betts
FO: Dean Cox, Chris Judd, Gary Ablett Jnr
INT: Max Gawn, Joel Selwood, Matthew Pavlich, Nick Riewoldt

Thats the team.

How does Voss, Hird & Cousins just to name a few not get named over Fyfe?

Recency bias.

Gibson is a controversial inclusion but you can throw a blanket over loads of third tall defenders since 1996.

C: Scott Pendlebury, Simon Black, Patrick Dangerfield

Thats the team.

Did the WC MC pick that team?

Needs more talls...

Thats the team.

Looks like an AA team with a ruckman and two tall forwards on the bench, alongside midfielders on the flanks and no actual wingmen.

Thats the team.

Hird played before 1996. Won a premiership in 1993

Josh Gibson in the team of the century? Sorry which bizzaro universe did I wake up in?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bloke was handy. Team of the century seems generous.

Johnno Brown must be the most over-rated footballer of our times.

Yeah nah can't agree.

Career stats stack up pretty well with any of the great forwards in the last 30 odd years (including Carey and Buddy)

His peak between 2005-2010 averaged around 17d, 9marks and 3.5 goals a game for that period.

Throw in the 3 flags, Coleman and 3 B&Fs.

Depends what you mean by "over-rated" but that's a pretty spectacular career

Yeah nah can't agree.

Career stats stack up pretty well with any of the great forwards in the last 30 odd years (including Carey and Buddy)

His peak between 2005-2010 averaged around 17d, 9marks and 3.5 goals a game for that period.

Throw in the 3 flags, Coleman and 3 B&Fs.

Depends what you mean by "over-rated" but that's a pretty spectacular career
His 3 flags were simply a matter of right place right time as a very small cog in the Lions 3-peat juggernaut. His B&F likewise, as Brissie became a basket case club and he was the one decent talent out there for them. The whole time he was actually numero uno Brisbane sucked.

Your stat watching is exactly why he is completely over rated imo. There's no context applied.

Definite a-grader but to get name dropped in conversations with Carey and Buddy calibre players is laughable.

I'd probably take JK in front of him but that's around the level of player he was.

His 3 flags were simply a matter of right place right time as a very small cog in the Lions 3-peat juggernaut. His B&F likewise, as Brissie became a basket case club and he was the one decent talent out there for them. The whole time he was actually numero uno Brisbane sucked.

Your stat watching is exactly why he is completely over rated imo. There's no context applied.

Definite a-grader but to get name dropped in conversations with Carey and Buddy calibre players is laughable.

I'd probably take JK in front of him but that's around the level of player he was.

Stat watching hey? Almost guarantee I saw more of his career than yourself, simply using the stats to highlight a point. He had a sensational career.

Would also say that wouldn't averaging those stats as a forward in a sucky team (as you put it) make it much more impressive?

Also he won 3 B&Fs, one in 2009 when they far from sucked.

Very much deserved his place in that team named on the AFL site imo

Stat watching hey? Almost guarantee I saw more of his career than yourself, simply using the stats to highlight a point. He had a sensational career.

Would also say that wouldn't averaging those stats as a forward in a sucky team (as you put it) make it much more impressive?

Also he won 3 B&Fs, one in 2009 when they far from sucked.

Very much deserved his place in that team named on the AFL site imo

Over Riewoldt or Pavlich as starting CHF?

Over Riewoldt or Pavlich as starting CHF?

Pavlich makes sense on the bench given he played nearly everywhere on the ground in his career.

Brown vs Riewoldt is close but yeah I'd give it to Brown personally if I was picking the team. There's definitely an argument for Riewoldt starting CHF....but either way still wouldn't call Brown overrated

Pavlich makes sense on the bench given he played nearly everywhere on the ground in his career.

Brown vs Riewoldt is close but yeah I'd give it to Brown personally if I was picking the team. There's definitely an argument for Riewoldt starting CHF....but either way still wouldn't call Brown overrated
Pav is a great bench player as he can go forward, back or middle.

I'd have Brown out for either JK or Jack Reiwoldt. Buddy is much better at CHF, so one of those two go to FF.

Interesting article in today's Worst Orstralian re our midfield and drafting woes.
I think 8 of our last 13 midfield picks have been delisted.
That's a big part of our current problem right there, 8 midfielders that didn't develop into mature players, from 7 seasons ago (2014)..lost 3 out of 4 mids from 2014 draft, only Duggan remaining.

Last edited:
Not worthy of its own thread but AFL has banned skin fold tests on potential draftees at draft testing.

Coz - body/fat shaming.

Fock we live in a sheltered world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back