Roast IF it isn't biased or ncompetent..... THEN it must be inciteful media coverage part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rowan18

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast

navi_

Team Captain
Sep 15, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Ignoring the body shaming issue, what is the point of body fat percentages being measured on a draftee? Surely thats something you work on after they have been drafted.
Probably to provide some insight into the professionalism of the player. all other things being equal, how diligent you are with your diet/training should see a decrease in skinfolds.

Another point, not relevant to draftees, is some clubs will measure players when they leave for off season and then when they return as a point of reference so players and the club know where they're at.

in isolation it really is useless data but when viewed alongside other metrics it might be useful.

Rowan18

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Probably to provide some insight into the professionalism of the player. all other things being equal, how diligent you are with your diet/training should see a decrease in skinfolds.

Another point, not relevant to draftees, is some clubs will measure players when they leave for off season and then when they return as a point of reference so players and the club know where they're at.

in isolation it really is useless data but when viewed alongside other metrics it might be useful.
Exactly. These guys are professional athletes playing an aerobic sport. 1kg less of fat is 1kg less you have to lug around for 12-14km a game. They should absolutely by assessed on their bodies, as physicality is part of the game.

Stat watching hey? Almost guarantee I saw more of his career than yourself, simply using the stats to highlight a point. He had a sensational career.

Would also say that wouldn't averaging those stats as a forward in a sucky team (as you put it) make it much more impressive?

Also he won 3 B&Fs, one in 2009 when they far from sucked.

Very much deserved his place in that team named on the AFL site imo
It's possible to be a really good player and still be over-rated. I said he was about the same level as our club's best ever full forward. I'm hardly saying he's a crab now am I?

Post career he's been the poster boy for the aussie good bloke machismo that the TV media loves to ladle over the game. He took a mark running back into the pack and got kneed in the face by Luke McPharlin, big whoopee do.

Apr 29, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
It's possible to be a really good player and still be over-rated. I said he was about the same level as our club's best ever full forward. I'm hardly saying he's a crab now am I?

Post career he's been the poster boy for the aussie good bloke machismo that the TV media loves to ladle over the game. He took a mark running back into the pack and got kneed in the face by Luke McPharlin, big whoopee do.

Not liking his media persona = being overrated

Got it

WCE_phil

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 14, 2009
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
I was a huge fan of Browns career but surely you have to have Riewoldt as starting CHF and have Buddy as the third tall.

It's like the Gibson pick. No coach in the league at the peak if given the opportunity would pick gibson over Mcgovern to play third tall.

Basically pick the team as you would to win a match don't just squeeze players into specific positions so they are there.

WTF would you have Fyfe and Pendlebury on wings when you could have Cousins there.

HF line. Oh do we want i like to choke when the pressure is on dangerfield or do you want Jason Akermanis? Dusty either goes on ball or to the bench and the other HFF is Steve Johnson.

Also as much as he is a champion player for the club there really is no-one who is picking Shannon Hurn in the side. Particularly at half back instead of back pocket.

Lastly Cox + Gawn, plus two talls on the bench and Goodes in the forward line.

Just * right off seriously.

Spange

Club Legend
May 24, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
NBA: Thunder
From the article https://www.sen.com.au/news/2020/04/21/ranking-the-greatest-centre-half-forwards-of-the-afl-era/

Here’s Watters’ top seven:

1. Wayne Carey
2. Dermott Brereton
3. Jonathan Brown
4. Warren Tredrea
5. Nick Riewoldt
6. Matthew Pavlich
7. Josh Kennedy

I don’t mind this list. All high impact players that could turn a game with the exception of Pavlich

shooshka

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
From the article https://www.sen.com.au/news/2020/04/21/ranking-the-greatest-centre-half-forwards-of-the-afl-era/

1. Wayne Carey
2. Dermott Brereton
3. Jonathan Brown
4. Warren Tredrea
5. Nick Riewoldt
6. Matthew Pavlich
7. Josh Kennedy

I don’t mind this list. All high impact players that could turn a game with the exception of Pavlich

Great list - but Dermie isn't a great of the AFL era. 90/91 he was still very good (elite even) - but after that he dropped off (and changed clubs, twice).

Buddy deserves to be on there. (if the argument is he is more FF than CHF I'd probably apply the same to JK).

Outside of that - it seems pretty fair.

southcoast

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2006
southcoast
AFL Club
West Coast

1. Wayne Carey
2. Dermott Brereton
3. Jonathan Brown
4. Warren Tredrea
5. Nick Riewoldt
6. Matthew Pavlich
7. Josh Kennedy

Pfft - no Q-stick.

Not sure I’d call JK a CHF - personally didn’t rate Tredrea that highly. But that’s probably more my lack of awareness than his footballing capacity.

I don’t think we ever saw the best of Pav - thrown around the ground and on all lines and often went into battle without a good support cast. I wonder how he would have gone in a really good team.

Jun 18, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast

1. Wayne Carey
2. Dermott Brereton
3. Jonathan Brown
4. Warren Tredrea
5. Nick Riewoldt
6. Matthew Pavlich
7. Josh Kennedy

Bit harsh on Pav for mine, I remember him winning plenty of games off his own boot, as well as being thrown into the midfield to turn a game. Definitely more of a high impact player for mine than Riewoldt, who wore down the opposition with insane workrate.

THE A5

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 26, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
'fat-shaming' an athlete is a new one.

Probably shouldn't be overweight if you want to be a professional athlete right?
Someone accused me of that 2 years ago when talking about Malinga and his gut. Literally thought I was being trolled. I lean left but some of the s**t that happens now is ridiculous

Selurs

Team Captain
Feb 21, 2008
In the bank's house
AFL Club
West Coast
Only CHF more overrated than Jono Brown is Tredrea.
Please, Tredrea was an absolute superstar, and only missed out on recognition because he played for the power when they were even less relevant than they are now (i.e. in the BKE - Before Koschie Era). He also held the team together through some very tough times.

Brown on the other hand was only ever a handy player, just with a strut. Those on here thinking he's a great are way off the mark - at his best he was about average Jack Darling, and for most of his career he was much worse than that. About all he was good for in the latter part of his career was running into others and getting himself knocked out, and his leadership was awful - look at how many players were heading for the door while he was captain. Not so much of a problem these days now he's gone.

Dec 8, 2006
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Please, Tredrea was an absolute superstar, and only missed out on recognition because he played for the power when they were even less relevant than they are now (i.e. in the BKE - Before Koschie Era). He also held the team together through some very tough times.

Isn't he Port's only (AFL) premiership captain?

Jun 11, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Not worthy of its own thread but AFL has banned skin fold tests on potential draftees at draft testing.

Coz - body/fat shaming.

Fock we live in a sheltered world.

That’s an AFLW move right there.. they don’t list the women’s player weights in game programs because of that same rubbish. 🙄

I am undeterred.

Into The Black

All Australian
Aug 16, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast

Brown on the other hand was only ever a handy player, just with a strut. Those on here thinking he's a great are way off the mark - at his best he was about average Jack Darling, and for most of his career he was much worse than that. About all he was good for in the latter part of his career was running into others and getting himself knocked out, and his leadership was awful - look at how many players were heading for the door while he was captain. Not so much of a problem these days now he's gone.
That's an interesting comparison between Jack and Brown. Their stats are very close.

Apr 29, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Please, Tredrea was an absolute superstar,

Brown on the other hand was only ever a handy player, just with a strut.

Ones a superstar, ones just a handy player.....

Screenshot_20211108-142343.png

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
That’s an AFLW move right there.. they don’t list the women’s player weights in game programs because of that same rubbish. 🙄
Maybe they’ve done some research to find that sort of thing is a deterrent to girls from taking up the game or something? Don’t really see why it’s a big deal. Not sure who other than Avishka pays any attention to players’ weights

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back