AFLW If Port Adelaide doesn't want to apply, could an SANFL side?

Remove this Banner Ad

With Port not applying for 2019 you have to start wondering, will they ever?
Their reasoning last year was their focus was on China, not locally.

But eventually the Afl will want an 18 team comp, Sydney is moving in that direction to bid, but aren't there yet.

Which leaves SA #2 as the final team.
But if Port Shows no interest, what do we do?

I guess there could be an nt bid which would be a shot, but if the afl want a second Adelaide team. What do we do?

Would people accept say west Adelaide or Norwood putting in a bid?
They're two of the four initial sanflw teams, Norwood won it this year and westies also have a few teams in the sawfl playing this winter including a div 1 side.
Or from left field, morphetville park? They've been stacked with talent for years with many of the crows team coming from there.

I'm just intrigued

Sit and wait for Port?
Go nt?
Or being in an sanfl or sawfl women's team?

Wouldn't worry me if West Adelaide or Norwood or South Australian Womens or whoever put in a team. If a club can put in a great application, no reason it should be the domain of the AFL Mens clubs. It just makes sense to start with because they have the facilities and finances to help, but even if Port Melbourne, Southport, a big WAFL club etc wanted too, their application should be considered all the same.

A truly regional team would be nice though. Vic, SA and WA country all get screwed in mens comp, maybe the womens can truly represent?

Perhaps the Crows should first focus on becoming the first SA team rather than relying on the NT ;)

Without knowing the inner sanctum thoughts of Port Adelaide, I would suspect that the SA-Talent pool is still too thin to justify a 2nd SA team -

It was only 18 months ago that even 1 SA team was considered unlikely until Adelaide made the NT arrangement

i think there are many more important things to look at before the women's league

such as the men's league

Without knowing the inner sanctum thoughts of Port Adelaide, I would suspect that the SA-Talent pool is still too thin to justify a 2nd SA team -

It was only 18 months ago that even 1 SA team was considered unlikely until Adelaide made the NT arrangement
Yeah, I thought this was the big issue with SA teams as opposed to the Sydney/GC issues regarding availability of facilities.

Nah the AFL will just start pressuring port to put a side in until we do I'd say but I'm a Port supporter so it probably doesn't mean as much coming from me

(Log in to remove this ad.)

considering Port was the 1st to sign up a woman player showed their intention before the AFL shot it down and said there would be no SA team because of numbers and quality, it was only from backroom lobbying that Adelaide was added at the last minute

Remove this Banner Ad

Back