If Richmond beat Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't see how it'll make that much of a difference, but I'm no expert. I do think being away from home is more likely to upset their routine so would probably favour them flying back if it were up to me. Maybe stay for the week before if we somehow get up against Richmond and into the GF though.

Honest to god some of you lot are fair dinkum SOFT. Never been in the military or done FIFO/Offshore for more than one swing. Aww need ya mummys milk bottled in the fridge and bed at home nawww.

Honest to god some of you lot are fair dinkum SOFT. Never been in the military or done FIFO/Offshore for more than one swing. Aww need ya mummys milk bottled in the fridge and bed at home nawww.

Did you even read the article you old flog!

Malthouse battled with the challenge of repetitive travel when he was coach of West Coast in 1990, when the Eagles played six consecutive matches in the east.

"You've got to get into your own environment as often and as best as you can," he told ABC Sports Talk.
"They'll probably go over two days early, but the three weeks is just excessive."

It's not unheard of that AFL clubs try to negate travel by eliminating a return to their home city.

Geelong tried to do it earlier this year when they spent a week in Perth following a match on the Gold Coast, while the Suns did the same last year when they sold a game to Fremantle.

Both sides were comprehensively beaten.

"You've got 18-year-olds to 30-something year-olds, some married with young kids, and some just needing their own bed," Malthouse said.

Sure did. 1990 was a long time ago. They werent half of the athletes they are now. The scientific evidence is in the article.

Where's Mick Malthouse now???
We should of won a heap more flags in that era.

Sure did. 1990 was a long time ago. They werent half of the athletes they are now. The scientific evidence is in the article.

What about all the other things they spoke about? Like that some of the players have families etc. We have 14 fathers on our list ffs.

Also - In case you didn't read, when GCS and the Cats had a one week layover, they lost the match.

Sorry mate, give it up already. It's a terrible idea.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What has Geelong travelling from Perth to Gold Coast got anything to do with spending the 2 n half weeks in the same city ya moron

Oh woopee doo. Dont FIFO/Offshore workers have families too FFS.

Do you think people are saying it would be impossible for them to spend weeks in Melbourne?

They’re saying it wouldn’t be optimal. I’m sure the Eagles could do it without any players dying mate, just that it wouldn’t be optimal preparation.

What has Geelong travelling from Perth to Gold Coast got anything to do with spending the 2 n half weeks in the same city ya moron

The team that finished first tried to minimise travel by spending a week in Perth, and lost comprehensively to the 14th placed Dockers.

Professional athlete’s elite routines > minimising travel.

What because Mick Ancient Malthouse said so Badger??

Because there’s no evidence it works and decades of evidence it doesn’t work, including statements by a three time premiership coach, yes.

If they did it, I’m sure the players would live mate, it’s just bad preparation. The aim is to win football matches, not show off how unphased by travel you are.

How the * is Geelong playing in Perth then Gold Coast even relevant????

It's simply not. That is travelling just like NBL teams do ffs. Staying in Melbourne for 3 games is entirely different.

Did you even read the article you old flog!

Malthouse battled with the challenge of repetitive travel when he was coach of West Coast in 1990, when the Eagles played six consecutive matches in the east.

"They'll probably go over two days early, but the three weeks is just excessive."

It's not unheard of that AFL clubs try to negate travel by eliminating a return to their home city.

Geelong tried to do it earlier this year when they spent a week in Perth following a match on the Gold Coast, while the Suns did the same last year when they sold a game to Fremantle.

Both sides were comprehensively beaten.

"You've got 18-year-olds to 30-something year-olds, some married with young kids, and some just needing their own bed," Malthouse said.

That's just Malthouse's opinion, and personally, I don't put much weight to it. He's bit of an old fossil now, isn't he? I don't think he would be abreast of the latest thinking in this anymore than I am. I do favour cutting out the last 2 flights if we get that far though. Surely, there is another club not involved in finals who would give us access to recovery facilities.

You are seriously stupid HoneyBadger35 3 time premiership coach who coached Collingwood..ffs like they travel. And he coached WCE in a time when footy players were allowed to drink piss properly. No so much athletes then ffs.

Thankyou very much ABC. Get ya mums breast milk out you bunch of soft flogs on here. View attachment 743149
I don't see how all of a sudden changing our normal travel routine will be of benefit ? Charter a flight seems like the best choice ? How you handle a lot of different personalities at different stages in their life is critical to team success. The rest of your comment is just inane rhetoric.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back