Opinion If Richmond win it this year....

Which team is better?

• Richmond 17-20

• Geelong 07-11

Results are only viewable after voting.
May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
If just lions cats hawks tigers posters could vote,but not select their own team, what would the result be. I suspect Brisbane. Although we must remember pretty much the Brisbane three peat team won a wooden spoon too

Also factoring that in, no cats fan would vote for hawthorn and no hawks fan would vote for the cats so of course Brisbane would win.

Nuggets73

Premiership Player
Aug 2, 2012
Brisbane
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Richmond 2017-20 have every right to be seen as the better team - you can bring up H&A wins, brownlows, AA selections, etc ... but it’s all about getting it done when it matters, B2B was something Geelong 07-11 never achieved

2021 will be a very interesting year ... If Richmond win that, they should be regarded as the greatest side of the AFL era

Genghis Tron

HBF
Koala Light vs Dark Charity Match Gumbies FFC - Sweet F.A.
Apr 6, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Void
Richmond 2017-20 have every right to be seen as the better team - you can bring up H&A wins, brownlows, AA selections, etc ... but it’s all about getting it done when it matters, B2B was something Geelong 07-11 never achieved

2021 will be a very interesting year ... If Richmond win that, they should be regarded as the greatest side of the AFL era
I like the sound of that but only 4 in a row would let me place them above Brisbane.

This Is Anfield

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Podcaster
Feb 25, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, England, Furies
If, as the OP suggests, Richmond wins this year, I'll be more than happy to be the worst side to have won 3 flags in 4 years (with the distinct possibility of more to come).

I'll also greatly enjoy the melts from the 'neutral' supporters on BF.
I’ve said it before, happy for the rest of the competition to be as weak as piss... we’ll just rack up the “soft” flags!

Barry_Badrinath

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 23, 2011
Bathing in Premiership Glory
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Grand Finals at the Gabba
Geelong were more dominant throughout the home and away season, but Richmond have matched their achievements in a shorter time frame. I don’t recall Geelong ever having the injury troubles that Richmond had in early 2019 and 2020 either. If Richmond remained healthier we would’ve seen a couple more seasons like 2018

I think if they play each other Richmond matches up very well on them. The teams that gave Geelong the most trouble (Pies and Saints) played a high tackling, frontal pressure game. They were basically diet Richmond, a weaker version of the Tiges.

Geelong’s game style heavily utilised the handball, especially in the back half. Their team wasn’t particularly athletic either. Fast ball movement but not fast by foot.

I’m not sure how they go against Richmond’s unprecedented pressure and ability to lock the ball down one end. How does Geelong’s handball happy game style hold up when they’ve got Richmond’s lightning quick smalls putting them under the pump on every possession?

I think Richmond’s game style holds up.

Regardless, if Richmond win again in 2021 then the debate is over. They become the 3rd greatest team of all time, behind only the depression era Pies and the 50s Dees

jc12

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 9, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
easily tigers over geelong, not only the fact we won more flags in a shorter period of time, and the fact we won back to back which is bloody hard
but also the fact that whilst geelong might have the more talented players we have the better team.

mentally we are incredibly strong and our sync and chemistry with each other is greater than geelong. i mean the ability to come back being down at a granny by 20 pts with injuries to your backline speaks volume of our ability to adapt and how strong our gameplan and system is. and hence since this a debate of who is the better team and not who has the better list even though i feel our list is underrtated we are the better team compared to 07-11 cats.

jc12

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 9, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Make no mistake.. whilst they’ve been away from home all year, they’ve definitely been given the biggest ride of anyone else. They’re the reigning premier yet got far from then toughest schedule.. including the highest differential of rest days vs opponent and a nice little 7 day break conveniently smack bang in the middle of their condensed fixture. Not having to come to Perth was another one given it was feasible plus being their rotation here this year. They were forced out of Vic, okay let’s make sure literally everything else is in their favour. They’ve been towelled up by Brisbane twice, once by Port and have lost others such as the Saints game. Far from the best side this year and it’ll be another arsey flag if they pull it off. Port or Geelong definitely deserve it more.
at least get your facts right mate, brissy didnt "towell" us up twice lol

Dr Awkward

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 23, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs
There are two schools of thought. One is that you can only be judged on what you achieve at the time. In which case we are in the conversation with the other dynasties. The other is the 'eye test'. In which case I don't think we currently have the pound for pound talent, nor the aura that Brisbane or Geelong had.

I think we are comparable to Hawthorn, extremely well coached, best system and show up big time in finals.

Back