Opinion If Richmond win it this year....

Which team is better?

• Richmond 17-20

• Geelong 07-11

Results are only viewable after voting.

javaguice

Premiership Player
Feb 29, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Where do you rate them against the 07-11 Geelong Cats Team?

I think credit is deserved to Richmond if they can win it this year. That would put them right up there with the Cats of that era. That Cats team had some great players across all lines.

Cats - 3 flags in 5 years. Tiges - 3 flags in 4 years....

As much as I dislike the Tiger supporters, their team will have every right to claim an equal to the Cats teams of 07-11.

Im keen to get peoples thoughts on how the two teams would go head-to-head and who would come out on top?

A few line-ups to digest:

07 Cats:
1602584144733.png

Richmond 17:
1602584209498.png

Cats 09:
1602584265594.png

19 Tiges:
1602584352409.png

Last edited:
<see thread title>
Don't be made by a Richmond supporter
<open thread>

YES!!!

On topic...maybe wait until after the GF for this sort of stuff?
Off season will still be plenty long...

javaguice

Premiership Player
Feb 29, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
We would roll this Richmond team by 5 goals+......The competition at the top quite simply isn’t as good atm as it was back then.
I do look at the 2 teams and there are a bunch more Geelong champions.

That is in hindsight though, Richmond snag another one and their boys start getting talked about in a different bracket....

ie in 2017 Alex Rance was the only gun Richmond defender, then he wasn't there and they have Astbury, Grimes, Houli etc... who have all stepped up.

sprockets

Cancelled
Crime Board Sleuth BeanCoiNFT Investor
Oct 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
<see thread title>
<open thread>

YES!!!

On topic...maybe wait until after the GF for this sort of stuff?
Off season will still be plenty long...
Had my fingers crossed as well... How do Geelong of '96-'20 rate against Melbourne of '40-'64? How does any team rate against them? Is it relevant?

javaguice

Premiership Player
Feb 29, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Gets back to achievement vs quality. What do you rate?
See...thats a great point. Richmond win it this year and they have achieved as much in 1 less season....so they would have bragging rights....

But still, you look at those Geelong teams on paper. Crazy amount of talent.

javaguice

Premiership Player
Feb 29, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Had my fingers crossed as well... How do Geelong of '96-'20 rate against Melbourne of '40-'64? How does any team rate against them? Is it relevant?
I would say Melbourne have them covered, without wasting a night looking into it...anyway, I am sure those born around 1920 who are active on BF can clear this up.

Catsnlakers

Even Hank Moody is in awe of Geelong!
Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
L.A Angels, Anaheim Ducks & M.Stars
Gets back to achievement vs quality. What do you rate?
Well atm Geelong win on both counts.....But as another poster pointed out, this thread would work better this time in two weeks.

Oct 20, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Pompey
The conversation certainly has to be had, if they win, but I think the difference is that Geelong had a level of dominance throughout its power years that Richmond only had for one year (2018).

If anything, that Geelong side underachieved IMO. That said, Collingwood, StKilda and Hawthorn were three very good sides (Port obviously was not). I'm not sure that history will see GWS, Adelaide and whoever this year's runner-up is to be in the same light.

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
We would roll this Richmond team by 5 goals+......The competition at the top quite simply isn’t as good atm as it was back then.
Geelong 07-11 more dominant than Richmond 17-20, regardless of what happens in the next two weeks, no questions there. I can only dream of some of the margins they put on teams.

But any team from now would beat that Geelong team pretty comfortably if we are organising a game. The gameplan the Cats dominated with in 07-08 had been effectively matched in 2009 and then trumped in 2010 - and it wasn't like the Cats fell off a cliff, a few tweaks and they were back up. So whatever the gap to second was in 07-08, had been erased by 2010 at the latest. That was done in 3 years. Imagine what sort of ground has been made in 10 years since then. The bottom and the top have come a lot closer, but that's a result of the top improving at a slower rate relative to the bottom - the top is still improving year on year.

javaguice

Premiership Player
Feb 29, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Well atm Geelong win on both counts.....But as another poster pointed out, this thread would work better this time in two weeks.
Well, if we want a straight up comparison we would be waiting til the end of next year to see...

But, look mate, some of us dont have games this weekend.....:(;)

Catsnlakers

Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
I do look at the 2 teams and there are a bunch more Geelong champions.

That is in hindsight though, Richmond snag another one and their boys start getting talked about in a different bracket....

ie in 2017 Alex Rance was the only gun Richmond defender, then he wasn't there and they have Astbury, Grimes, Houli etc... who have all stepped up.
This current Richmond team is a great team, & as you mention they have some great players.....But the competition for the Premiership was much harder in our era, in two of our three flag years we had to defeat teams who went 20-2 during the season, this current Richmond team would be doing well to defeat them teams tbh, especially the Pies team of 2011, who were a juggernaut that year, unbeatable to everyone else bar Geelong.

Oct 20, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Pompey
But any team from now would beat that Geelong team pretty comfortably if we are organising a game. The gameplan the Cats dominated with in 07-08 had been effectively matched in 2009 and then trumped in 2010 - and it wasn't like the Cats fell off a cliff, a few tweaks and they were back up.
I agree in terms of the footy tactics - after all, that's what undid us in 2008 and nearly undid us in 2009 - but I don't think the skill or physicality of the players changed.

That side was just pinch-yourself pleasure to watch as a Geelong fan. I remember watching it about halfway through 2008 and thinking that the rest of my footy-watching life was a waste, because my club would never put together a team this good again.

Catsnlakers

Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Well, if we want a straight up comparison we would be waiting til the end of next year to see...

But, look mate, some of us dont have games this weekend.....:(;)
It was said in jest mate, I quite like these threads, always brings out a range of opinions....I’m just waiting for a Hawks poster to pop up saying their 13-15 team would beat both. 😂

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Geelong 07-11 more dominant than Richmond 17-20, regardless of what happens in the next two weeks, no questions there. I can only dream of some of the margins they put on teams.

But any team from now would beat that Geelong team pretty comfortably if we are organising a game. The gameplan the Cats dominated with in 07-08 had been effectively matched in 2009 and then trumped in 2010 - and it wasn't like the Cats fell off a cliff, a few tweaks and they were back up. So whatever the gap to second was in 07-08, had been erased by 2010 at the latest. That was done in 3 years. Imagine what sort of ground has been made in 10 years since then. The bottom and the top have come a lot closer, but that's a result of the top improving at a slower rate relative to the bottom - the top is still improving year on year.

I don’t think it was necessarily the gap to second that made us dominant though. I absolutely see your point, but the fact was there were at most stages a couple of other exceptional sides in the top four, beyond that we were, aside from the occasional quiet day, just belting everyone

In any given year the top 1-2 sides will obviously be putting cricket scores on bottom four teams but generally against the mid table, lower half of the eight sides, there is a degree of competition. Generally we were just flogging anyone who wasn’t very very good.

May 31, 2019
Belmont, WA
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Perth Glory, Everton FC, SSC Napoli
Except they won't. The mighty Brisbane Lions will win this year. You can quote me on that.
Joined last Friday.....Hmm, either an alternative account or simply joined the rest of the bandwagon lions supporters.

Back on topic. Even if the unlikely happens and Richmond win this year I would say it would be the best Tiger Flag of the 3 due to the obvious reasons of Covid-19. However still would pick the Cats of that era. Just need to look at those names they had. Much more house hold names than the Tigers (at this stage).

Last edited:
Back