Opinion If Richmond win it this year....

Which team is better?

• Richmond 17-20

• Geelong 07-11

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
Wasn’t anything to do with us. Don’t think we were good enough to make it this year regardless (although a full home game allocation might have helped a little). But Richmond as reigning premiers got much more of a leg up than any other Victorian team. They were at a disadvantage due to Victoria’s covid issue but it was more than made up for imo. Laughable that this league preaches “equality and fairness” but only when it suits Richmond it seems. You guys get an absolute ride year after year, on top of the w*nkfest from the media, and in a comp as tight as this it makes all the difference.

Everyone else has to grind through (take a look at what Geelong have had to do this year), while Richmond get the difference made up for them any time it looks like they’ll fall short and sook when things aren’t spoonfed to them. You’re a good side, sure.. but there’s no way in hell its a 3 flags in 4 years list/gameplan. Fairly over the unbalanced comp and different rulebooks for different teams tbh.

Do you think they are a great team? After all this will be their 3rd GF in 4 years. Surely you have to give them some credit.

dean33

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2007
melb
AFL Club
Richmond
Tough one, who was better relative to the rest of the comp at the time? Geelong, comfortably...which side would win if they were to play? 0 doubt in my mind Richmond would mulch them. its a different game now and Geelong's style would fall apart in the face of what Richmond would bring..
Who on balance that makes the better side is anyone's guess.
Spot on. This is what people still haven’t understood about this Richmond team, we take away the oppositions strengths. We’ve been doing it for 4 years and when we beat other contenders fans wonder why their team wasn’t up to their best in an area of the game they are usually good at, it’s because Richmond don’t allow the opposition to play to their strengths. Great coaching, great system with 100% buy in from the entire team.

Coasters7

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 27, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea
Do you think they are a great team? After all this will be their 3rd GF in 4 years. Surely you have to give them some credit.
Yeah no ones disputing they’re a good side. The advantages I’ve mentioned aren’t the difference between a flag and missing the finals for example. But it’s clearly enough to get them over the line in tight matches and push them that little bit further at the pointy end of the season. They’re good, but there’s no way they’re Hawthorn/Geelong/Brisbane good, yet they could have very similar achievements as a lot of things have lined up nicely for them over the last couple of years. This year alone.. Geelong have been better, Port were top all year and Brisbane gave them a bath in both games they played. 3rd side at best over the course of the year imo

Frank Grimes

Premiership Player
May 8, 2007
between two bowling alley
AFL Club
Richmond
It should be noted that the poll is about which team is better, not which team has or had the better players.
The conversation of a Richmond becoming a dynasty is a bit pre-mature. We will see what happens next week.

Going by hypotheticals though I'd say Geelong strength is they had more talented players than Richmond has, but Richmonds strength is they play better as a team/system.

Comparing teams from more than 4 or 5 years prior is a bit pointless though. The game changes so much over a 10 year period. The Essendon team of 2000 is considered as one of the greatest teams, but I'd be confident a lot of teams today would be able to knock them over if they were plucked from the year 2000 and put on the field now with the fitness, tactics and professionalism changing since then.

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
Yeah no ones disputing they’re a good side. The advantages I’ve mentioned aren’t the difference between a flag and missing the finals for example. But it’s clearly enough to get them over the line in tight matches and push them that little bit further at the pointy end of the season. They’re good, but there’s no way they’re Hawthorn/Geelong/Brisbane good, yet they could have very similar achievements as a lot of things have lined up nicely for them over the last couple of years. This year alone.. Geelong have been better, Port were top all year and Brisbane gave them a bath in both games they played. 3rd side at best over the course of the year imo

Footy has never been about being the best side in home and away footy, it’s about being the best when it counts and for the last 4 years Richmond more often than not have stood up when it counts.
I admire great teams and even if the points you make are true it doesn’t change the fact that if those things were against them they would probably be still in the same spot.
They love success, they strive at all times to do their best and it’s no secret formula why they keep succeeding.
It makes me very jealous as an Eagles supporter watching the Tigers play and how they give everything for the cause. Can you imagine with the talent we have if our guys could do that.

The pressure that Richmond apply & can sustain for entire games is something that wasn’t heard of in Geelong’s era. Geelong certainly had a more skilled team but Richmonds game plan built on pressure, turnovers & intercepts may well have brought them down.
St Kilda in 2009 had a game plan built around forward pressure, likewise with collingwood and they kept that s**t up all season long.

WCE_phil

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 14, 2009
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
If richmond win they fully deserve it.

Speaking from a West Coast and anyone who wants to play our kicking brand of football you won't win a premiership while the umpires and league continue to throw out the rules in regards to holding the ball, incorrect disposal and holding the man.

In pressure games the whistle gets put away and Richmond's playstyle gets it done.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
St Kilda in 2009 had a game plan built around forward pressure, likewise with collingwood and they kept that sh*t up all season long.

This. While I’ve got no problem acknowledging they’re good at it, Richmond fans seem to forget that an ‘almost dynasty’ was built on being even more frenetic than they are at the moment. St Kilda were fit, strong and incredibly hard at it. What cost them flags, aside from running into two very good sides, was that their coach seemed so intent on sticking to it at all costs, he didn’t unshackle some players that were very very skilful attacking players and let them attack

WCE_phil

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 14, 2009
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
This tigers team reminds me very much of Brisbane from 01-04 with just a bit less talent. They didn't always finish top of the table, the weren't always the prettiest but they got the job done when it needed to be.

I'd still have Geelong's 07-11 side well above them. Funnily enough Geelong of 08 are the only side on paper i see challenging Essendon of 2000.

Catsnlakers

Even Hank Moody is in awe of Geelong!
Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
L.A Angels, Anaheim Ducks & M.Stars
It makes me very jealous as an Eagles supporter watching the Tigers play and how they give everything for the cause. Can you imagine with the talent we have if our guys could do that.
That’s being pretty harsh on your own team I reckon, you did win a GF from 5 goals down....Though I do appreciate you would know your team much better than me....On the topic, this Tigers team has found itself in an absolute sweet spot wherein they have the best system by far, & the opponents they’re facing at the top aren’t at the elite level of talent or system that existed in our era....My own current team is actually a good example of that, our level of play atm is so far below that of 07-11 it’s not funny, yet here we are making Prelim’s still.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 3, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Except that Geelong team made 4 GFs and 1 PF, had to play one of those GFs against the reigning Premier, and only got one interstate team to bully. All while not getting a home final.

This Richmond team isn't in the conversation. Last time they played a fellow MCG tenant in a final they got pantsed by an American.
Yeh Cats had such a tough run in finals. 2007-2011 they played 15 finals. All at the MCG. Funny you didn't bring up that they didn't have to play interstate?
Not playing at there 'Home' final is pretty irrelevant here when they are so used to playing at the G. Oh no an hour drive to a ground we play at around 10 times a year! Its not even close to the same as an interstate team flying here and playing on a ground they play 2 times a season.

Cats over 5 seasons
15 games at the G
6 v MCG tenants 4-2
6 v Vic non MCG tenants - 5-1
3 v interstate teams - 3-0

0 games interstate.

Tiges overs 4 seasons
7 games at the G
2 v MCG tenants 1-1
2 v Vic non MCG tenants - 2-0
3 v interstate teams - 3-0

4 games interstate.
3 v interstate at their home ground 2-1
1 v vic team also away 1-0

Cats play final at the G almost every year for a decade. Complaining about not playing at home is just a bs excuse. Its their 2nd home ground. In fact Pies this year was the first finals win away from the G they've had in this entire run
2007-2019 they played 30 finals.

28 of them at the G. 16-12
2 at GMHBA - 0-1
1 interstate 0-1

They played 1 final interstate. 1. In 30. And they got done by 10 goals. Beating Pies this year was their first finals win away from the G in a final since Tigers at Waverly in 1995 lmoa.

Last edited:

BF Tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 5, 2007
9th
AFL Club
Richmond
So much wrong...

Port were top all year, but we split the games with them, both of which were at their home ground. Importantly, we won the one that mattered most. That said we weren’t too far off them in the H&A meeting, being basically level at 3/4 time.

Geelong were better earlier in the season. Richmond have finished the season better. So much so that we beat them late in the year and finished above them on the ladder, in a season where everyone played everyone just once. Of course the Cats are still alive and can finish above us by winning the flag, but to this point in the season you can argue they’ve been better at best it is marginal, and the numbers suggest otherwise.

As for Brisbane... I can’t recall them giving us a bath in either game so far. Unless them beating us by 15 points in the QF - a game in which the margin was 8 points late in the last quarter, in which we won 2 of 4 quarters, in which Brisbane’s biggest lead was 22 points - is considered a bath. As for the H&A meeting between the two sides Brisbane definitely didn’t give us a bath, despite the 41 point margin (I will let you work out why).

Sep 23, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yes this year certainly demonstrated their adaptability, Coronachan disrupted the whole competition and once the players overcame their whining and were able to get their partners in the hub, they settled back to quality ball use up the middle and keeping it deep inside the front half again. If they win a GF without playing key games in CoVictoria they will definitely remember this one most of all.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
Make no mistake.. whilst they’ve been away from home all year, they’ve definitely been given the biggest ride of anyone else. They’re the reigning premier yet got far from then toughest schedule.. including the highest differential of rest days vs opponent and a nice little 7 day break conveniently smack bang in the middle of their condensed fixture. Not having to come to Perth was another one given it was feasible plus being their rotation here this year. They were forced out of Vic, okay let’s make sure literally everything else is in their favour. They’ve been towelled up by Brisbane twice, once by Port and have lost others such as the Saints game. Far from the best side this year and it’ll be another arsey flag if they pull it off. Port or Geelong definitely deserve it more.
Beated by Brisbane once, we won August 4, 82 to 41. We played Port in Adelaide off a 4 day break with 7 of last nights best 22 out. No we haven't been our best this year, but good enough to finish 3rd with a lot of players missing for large a dozen games or more (Nankervis, Edwards, Prestia, Houli etc).
We are not playing as well as the last few years, but good enough to make the granny, no matter how average you might think we are.

BF Tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 5, 2007
9th
AFL Club
Richmond
That’s being pretty harsh on your own team I reckon, you did win a GF from 5 goals down....Though I do appreciate you would know your team much better than me....On the topic, this Tigers team has found itself in an absolute sweet spot wherein they have the best system by far, & the opponents they’re facing at the top aren’t at the elite level of talent or system that existed in our era....My own current team is actually a good example of that, our level of play atm is so far below that of 07-11 it’s not funny, yet here we are making Prelim’s still.
So are Richmond a great side playing against poor opposition, or just an average side playing and beating average opposition but doing it every week?

Could argue that Geelong only really had to beat 3 or 4 other contenders while the Tigers have had to beat 8-10. If that is the case then surely beating 8-10 contenders is more noteworthy than beating less than half that number.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
If richmond win they fully deserve it.

Speaking from a West Coast and anyone who wants to play our kicking brand of football you won't win a premiership while the umpires and league continue to throw out the rules in regards to holding the ball, incorrect disposal and holding the man.

In pressure games the whistle gets put away and Richmond's playstyle gets it done.
But Port's great strength is their ability especially through the midfield to pressure with their strong mids. You might have missed the fact that pressure was applied both both teams last night, and there were about 2 free's paid for holding the ball as the umps thought due to the conditions they'd put that particularly hard to adjudicate rule on the backburners. But of course the umps only favoured Richmond, who once again finished the season with the least free's paid top them by quite some way. Just because 30,000 mad keen Port supporters yell collective 'baalll' every time they tackled a Richmond player, it doesn't mean only Richmond players dropped the ball. Tackles were about even also.

Catsnlakers

Even Hank Moody is in awe of Geelong!
Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
L.A Angels, Anaheim Ducks & M.Stars
So are Richmond a great side playing against poor opposition, or just an average side playing and beating average opposition but doing it every week?

Could argue that Geelong only really had to beat 3 or 4 other contenders while the Tigers have had to beat 8-10. If that is the case then surely beating 8-10 contenders is more noteworthy than beating less than half that number.
As I have stated previously, the Tigers are a great side with a terrific system who don’t have the level of competition to deal with at the top....And your point about 8-10 contenders is irrelevant because in finals you play a maximum of 4 different teams ( usually 3 ), & at no point in these last 4 years will the Tigers have faced anything like a 20-2 juggernaut that we faced.....Twice...All this is not to discount your achievements, 2 cups ( maybe 3 next week ) is exactly that, but the difference in quality is what sets my team apart IMO.

queensberryrules

Club Legend
Aug 16, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
2. Lions were predictably reliable. Tough, skilled, clinical.
3. Cats were magnificent, style of play has never been better. 2008 casts a shadow on them, they soiled their pants, wet the bed, spat the dummy, outcoached, and in the end, outplayed, and gave up in q4.
Pies had a chance to do something but 2011 Cats were very very good and ruined the plans.
Tiges are in progress and much depends on next week, keep the powder dry.

1. Hawks: 4 flags, with a renovation in between. WOW.

Darren Moore

Debutant
Oct 17, 2020
AFL Club
Sydney
How many "home" finals do you think Geelong has played at Kadinia park exactly?( I'll answer for you. It is one, and they lost that against Freo).

For some reason it is only a problem when Geelong play a "home" final at the MCG is when it's against Richmond.

It's a defacto home ground for Geelong, but doesn't give them any of the advantages it gives Richmond who play most of their games on the MCG. Had something like 9 in a row at the MCG going into the finals one of the years was it?

May 4, 2015
South-East Melb
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Nuggets, Giants, Arsenal
It's a defacto home ground for Geelong, but doesn't give them any of the advantages it gives Richmond who play most of their games on the MCG. Had something like 9 in a row at the MCG going into the finals one of the years was it?
With half against MCG tenants themselves, which is not a true advantage like every home game for other teams is.

This narrative really needs to kick the bucket, getting sad at this point lmao

Darren Moore

Debutant
Oct 17, 2020
AFL Club
Sydney
I think Richmond are the best side and have been most of the year.

Didn't get sucked in to the talk of Port and Brisbane being good sides they finished high on the ladder because of home games most of the league didn't get.

So I don't rate Port and Brisbane they are teams that in any other year finish 6th to 9th, and then Geelong are chokers in finals. Sorry upset Geelong fans but it's just fact.

So in terms of top fours it isn't exactly the most treacherous top four to navigate.

I feel like if Geelong end up with a premiership it will be legitimate and a great accomplishment because it means the monkey is off their back and they had to beat a strong opponent to win.

If Richmond win it means they either beat a team of chokers or a young Brisbane side that would be 7th on the ladder in an ordinary season.

I suppose it's how Richmond beat Geelong or Brisbane. If it's a 10+ goal belting it definitely makes their premiership legitimate. Scraping by either team in a dour scrap that never reached great heights like last night won't count for a lot in my mind.

Last edited:
Back