If Shaun Burgoyne does a Josh Carr at some point, would you be willing to take him back?

Remove this Banner Ad

Depends on two factors.... How we go this year and how he goes this year.

If we surprise, which some on here think we might, take him on the 1 year contract for a tilt at a title.

The above is on the proviso that he has a healthy, injury free year and is still playing at the high standard.

Yes he will be 35, but there are always some exceptions to the norm. He still played a cracking year this year and finished 3rd in the Hawks BnF.

The only way Shaun would come back is in a coaching role. Can he coach?

This rumour wasn't started by the Tony Pilkington of the Bazz and Pilko variety was it? If so someone must be looking for something to post about because Pilko, a so called avid Bulldog supporter, would not know if his arse was on fire. Back in the 1990's this guy would pump the Centrals tyres up no end in Grand Final week only to disappear on leave the week after the Grand Final. Didn't have the guts to face the Port supporters after Centrals were beaten in the GF. In 1996 I fronted Pilkington when AA did a show from Alberton Oval during finals week. I asked him if he was going to take leave again after Port defeated Centrals in the Grand final. He replied, 'I will be here'. Yeah, right, he went on leave just as he had done in 1995.

It is bad enough spreading the rumours started on AA with resorting to rumours started by a non entity on AA.

Must be a different Pilko because no self respecting Port supporter would give put credence in anything Pilko said about footy.

I was shattered when S. Burgoyne left us for Hawthorn yet I consider having witnessed Shauny's development as a young player in the AFL system during the early 2000s a great privilege. Right up there with seeing the early games of PAFC greats like Porplycia, Phillips, Bradley, Buckley, Anderson, Abernethy, Wanganeen, Gray, Boak etc, etc.
Aussie Rules Football is just the greatest sport: for me, an intrinsic part of Australian culture.
Would immediately welcome Shaun and his family back to the Port Adelaide community, with open arms, in any compacity.

Last edited:

I'd say it's unlikely to happen, but I'd be stoked if it did.

As a parent of a potential AFL star with no AFL heritage but plenty of other sporting pedigree, it turns my stomach to continually hear of "we must secure [insert previous AFL player's name] they will be a gem" perhaps we shouldn't sell the farm on lineage but just recruit the best of what we need when we need it. Sheez the poor kid whose dad didn't play for Nor'd or Ganelg might as well nick off now according to some because they couldn't possibly football only those born into the dynasty can do that.

Left when the going got tough. No thanks.

If we do we may as well bring Peter out of retirement while we're at it.
I think people romanticize Shaun's output especially when he was with us, he doesn't belong in any Wanganeen, Buckley or Bradley etc. conversations for mine not even in the same orbit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

it was hard to see him go at first and, early on, I may have said **** him. But he has always been very gracious whenever he talks about Port, even when we were absolute crap and Hawthorn were flying. He also seems to have stayed on good terms with his old team mates.

I would still say no to having him back as a player, mostly because of his age etc. but if he was keen on a role in coaching or with the indigenous boys, then it's a yes from me.
He's certainly no Troy Chaplin, who I'm sure would be less welcome back at Alberton than the bubonic plague. I'd love to have him back in some coaching/mentoring role.

At the end of this year, we have no first round pick, but have to make a minimum three list changes.

Let's assume we play finals - what would you rather have:

1. Pick 29+, Pick 47+ and Pick 65+

OR

2. Pick 29+, Pick 47+ and Burgoyne

A one year contract with no guarantee of game time, on a small wage - he would provide good depth in a number of positions, not to mention the added bonus of pissing off the SANFL clubs by having a 4 time premiership player suiting up for the Magpies most weeks. It would be great for the development of guys like Amon to be around someone of Silk's class.

If we had a first round pick I'd say no, but since we don't...why not? Think of him as a playing development coach for the Magpies.

Burgoyne is in the top 5 of Port Powers most impactual players... if we had him a couple of years ago we woulda won the flag...

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I really hate these scenarios. If we never lost Burgoyne, we might never have bottomed out quite as much as we did in '11 and '12 and we may never have picked up Wingrd and Wines who were instrumental in the '14 finals.

If his form doesn't drop off and his best is still as good as it was last year then id absolutely take him for next year.

On the Footyshow crawf rated his top 5 most important hawks with Burgoyne being #1. So if he keeps that up why not, 2004 and 2018 premiership player at port. could help land his kids as future Father/son picks…..although thats just a bonus - not a reason to get him back

If his form doesn't drop off and his best is still as good as it was last year then id absolutely take him for next year.

On the Footyshow crawf rated his top 5 most important hawks with Burgoyne being #1. So if he keeps that up why not, 2004 and 2018 premiership player at port. could help land his kids as future Father/son picks…..although thats just a bonus - not a reason to get him back
Sort of copy what his father inlaw did but in smaller quantity. ;) Greg won 4 flags before going over to Victoria then came back and won 4 more including one in his last season.

At the end of this year, we have no first round pick, but have to make a minimum three list changes.

Let's assume we play finals - what would you rather have:

1. Pick 29+, Pick 47+ and Pick 65+

OR

2. Pick 29+, Pick 47+ and Burgoyne

A one year contract with no guarantee of game time, on a small wage - he would provide good depth in a number of positions, not to mention the added bonus of pissing off the SANFL clubs by having a 4 time premiership player suiting up for the Magpies most weeks. It would be great for the development of guys like Amon to be around someone of Silk's class.

If we had a first round pick I'd say no, but since we don't...why not? Think of him as a playing development coach for the Magpies.

Burgoyne shouldn't be a factor in this type of strategy. If there still is a rookie list next year we can promote a rookie (likely Snelling) and take 2 picks to the national draft.

I think people romanticize Shaun's output especially when he was with us, he doesn't belong in any Wanganeen, Buckley or Bradley etc. conversations for mine not even in the same orbit.

Replace 'orbit' with 'universe' and you're spot on.

Bar the family ties - which makes his defection worse, for mine - and the compensation we received, he's in the same orbit as Nick Stevens. Left as a very good but too often lazy and unfulfilled player, who spent his prime cruising around as umpteenth banana for a traditional Melbourne powerhouse.

The difference is, Stevens ran around pushing s**t uphill alongside the likes of Laurence Angwin, Daniel Harford and Marc Murphy, whereas Shaun took a backseat to *enter 15 elite players here* with the luxury of injecting himself into games as a strategic reserve to pad out his legacy.

How many times did we need him to consistently step up as a matchwinning leader in those nearly-seasons of 2008-9, only for him to regularly go missing when it counted?

It's literally the same criticism we have of Hartlett now.

Maybe we should we pack him off to the Scray and welcome him back as a folk hero in 2025.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back