If sometime over the next 50/100 years the AFL was to expand internationally, which country do you think would be the most likely to have a team?

Remove this Banner Ad

jle101

Club Legend
Sep 3, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Williamstown Seagulls
Apologies if this thread is in the wrong place, but I am interested to hear what people think of the feasibility of our great game being played on a serious level elsewhere around the world.

Since the days of Ron Barassi's pie-in-the-sky dreams of international expansion this concept has been floating around, but clearly we aren't anywhere close demographically or, most importantly, skill-wise, too seeing a legitimate push for Australian Football in any other country around the world. In the past we have seen things such as the Irish experiment, the strange & bizarre LA Crocodiles bid, the International cup, as well as exhibition matches staged in far-flung places such as the UK, USA, Canada, as well as China.

Obviously the AFL is keen to tap into the large markets present in the US & China, though logistical hurdles will probably ensure this will never gets off the ground.

Likewise, other parts of Asia, such as Japan & India could be considered as they share a relatively similar time-zone with Oz & are big markets, respectively.

The UK, & Ireland especially, have enough cultural ties to merit a discussion about this. Though the obvious problem would again be logistics, & the fact that our winter months do not align with theirs. Perhaps a European-based side would play most of its games down under, & play its only "home" games of the season at the very beginning, or end, of the home & away season.

PNG are a great shout IMO as they probably have the most home-grown talent out of any non-Australian footballing nation. Though will they ever be in a position to have the required infrastructure?

The best bet could very well be NZ, as they are the closet nation to us geographically & culturally, however, it's hard seeing enough interest being generated for Australian Football in such a rugby-mad country (Though that hasn't stopped the AFL expanding into rugby territory before). Also, the anti-Australian bias may hinder any progress, making me think the the name of the code needs to be changed before any serious ideas of international expansion can come into fruition.

Since the AFL are hell-bent on outdoing the NRL/A-league at all costs, it seems to me that it is likely that the AFL in the distant future will one day make a concerted effort to launch an overseas team. The question is where, & how, can this happen?

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Tasmania.
Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves!

But I guess for the purpose of this futuristic hypothetical we can just assume that the AFL eventually pulls its finger out of its arse & gets a Tassie team up & running sometime in the next 50 years.

Apologies if this thread is in the wrong place, but I am interested to hear what people think of the feasibility of of great game being played on a serious level elsewhere around the world.

Since the days of Ron Barassi's pie-in-the-sky dreams of international expansion this concept has been floating around, but clearly we aren't anywhere close demographically or, most importantly, skill-wise, too seeing a legitimate push for Australian Football in any other country around the world. In the past we have seen things such as the Irish experiment, the strange & bizarre LA Crocodiles bid, the International cup, as well as exhibition matches staged in far-flung places such as the UK, USA, Canada, as well as China.

Obviously the AFL is keen to tap into the large markets present in the US & China, though logistical hurdles will probably ensure this will never gets off the ground.

Likewise, other parts of Asia, such as Japan & India could be considered as they share a relatively similar time-zone with Oz & are big markets, respectively.

The UK, & Ireland especially, have enough cultural ties to merit a discussion about this. Though the obvious problem would again be logistics, & the fact the our winter months do not align with theirs. Perhaps a European-based side would play most of its games down under, & play its only "home" games at the very beginning, or end, of the home & away season.

PNG are a great shout IMO as they probably have the most home-grown talent out of any non-Australian footballing nation. Though will they ever be in a position to have the required infrastructure?

The best bet could very well be NZ, as they are the closet nation to us geographically & culturally, however, it's hard seeing enough interest being generated for Australian Football in such a rugby-mad country (Though that hasn't stopped the AFL expanding into rugby territory before). Also, the anti-Australian bias may hinder any progress, making me think the the name of the code needs to be changed before any serious ideas of international expansion can come into fruition.

Since the AFL are hell-bent on outdoing the NRL/A-league at all costs, it seems to me that it is likely that the AFL in the distant future will one day make a concerted effort to launch an overseas team. The question is where, & how, can this happen?

Thoughts?
china
via
Kochies obsession with growing his empire

or more likely
chinas takeover of OZ

They would have to be a cricket playing nation as they would have to have the infrastructure already in place (ie ovals).
Absolutely. That's gotta be at the top of checklist. On the other side of the coin, one of the biggest hurdles for the ICC as far as intl. expansion goes comes down to this. Only recently has USA Cricket managed to get its hands on a genuine base for its cricket team, as they plan to redevelop on old baseball stadium (in Texas, I think) into a bonafide cricket staduim.

china
via
Kochies obsession with growing his empire

or more likely
chinas takeover of OZ
Yep, that's kinda what sparked me to whip up this thread. Seems like China is the AFL's #1 long-term project.

I think India - they already have the grounds set up and the population. The other country is USA. They have a huge appetite for sport and the interest in the game is growing over there from a ratings perspective. I would have said China but given the current political tension, I can't see it happening any time soon

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think India - they already have the grounds set up and the population. The other country is USA. They have a huge appetite for sport and the interest in the game is growing over there from a ratings perspective. I would have said China but given the current political tension, I can't see it happening any time soon
India are a really good bet, & relations between the two countries are probably going to go from strength to strength as time goes on.

This is the first time I've heard about there being a strong interest for the game in the States. Is it the local population that are beginning to get into footy, or mostly just Aussie ex-pats?

organised sports are a relatively new concept, attested to by the age of clubs like Manchester United and Collingwood. The concept of professional sports is even shorter.

As such, I can't see sports like AFL surviving in its current levels of business success in 100 years. Simply because what we are seeing, is potentially a fad already seen it's peak. So if AFL exists overseas, it will be more likely some sideshow for illegal gambling and some slap happy contest like T20.

WA (after they, hopefully, secede).

After a few decades we might let them have a team (re)join after they demonstrate that they're not sooks any more.

OK...it might take more than a few decades.

mate if WA secedes, we're conquering the east and then setting up Kalgoorlie as the capital of Westralia. Our cheap slave labour will come from SA and our convicts to be sent to rot in Tasmania.

mate if WA secedes, we're conquering the east and then setting up Kalgoorlie as the capital of Westralia. Our cheap slave labour will come from SA and our convicts to be sent to rot in Tasmania.

LOL.

The military campaign would be the east laughing at your 'forces' as they insist the ADF come and fight on your home ground.

organised sports are a relatively new concept, attested to by the age of clubs like Manchester United and Collingwood. The concept of professional sports is even shorter.

As such, I can't see sports like AFL surviving in its current levels of business success in 100 years. Simply because what we are seeing, is potentially a fad already seen it's peak. So if AFL exists overseas, it will be more likely some sideshow for illegal gambling and some slap happy contest like T20.
To be fair, it was probably the professionalization of sports which ensured their longevity. It can be argued that most sports these days are just never-ending exercises in marketing extravaganza existing solely to spin hundreds of millions of dollars per year.

Careful mate, I'm pretty sure the West has the largest population of emus per capita. Best not to ruffle any feathers, so to speak.

Agreed, that's a genuine concern, but as we all know, the WA forces would be FIFO, and Emu's can't fly.

Careful mate, I'm pretty sure the West has the largest population of emus per capita. Best not to ruffle any feathers, so to speak.

Exactly, the WA emu's are undefeated in wars, so you best not anger them

Last edited:
Agreed, that's a genuine concern, but as we all know, the WA forces would be FIFO, and Emu's can't fly.

Under estimate the WA Emu's at your peril, they've conquered the Australian army before

Remove this Banner Ad

Back