If sometime over the next 50/100 years the AFL was to expand internationally, which country do you think would be the most likely to have a team?

jle101

Club Legend
Sep 3, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Williamstown Seagulls
I do wonder if South Africa could be a market that could be opened up. Its already got the ovals
Hard to see it happening imo. Firstly, much like the NZ situation, Rugby Union is far too popular for any other winter code to flourish. Even soccer hardly makes a dent in the public consciousness over there.

Secondly, the cultural link between the two countries isn't really there. From what I know there is a bit of a connection between West Australia & RSA culturally, but its probably not enough.

Then again, they're in the right hemisphere to make it work, & RSA has indeed competed before at the International Cup, but I'm not sure how many players for the team were actual born & bred Saffers.

New Zealand could work. Seems to be doing just fine in the A-league, rugby league and rugby union.

Logistics would prevent most other countries from getting a look in.

Eg Singapore Slingers for the NBL, was a massive failure for them

NZ is the best bet for an expansion country if it were to happen IMO

jle101

Club Legend
Sep 3, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Williamstown Seagulls
New Zealand could work. Seems to be doing just fine in the A-league, rugby league and rugby union.

Logistics would prevent most other countries from getting a look in.
For sure, if the AFL want to keep mirroring the moves of the NRL/A-league, then that NZ market needs to get tapped into sooner rather than later. The grounds are there too (though they would be tiny grounds, probably with 40m archs in place if Aust. Rules was to be played at the existing cricket venues).

Edit: The AFL would most likely want its NZ side to play out of Auckland, which means that Eden Park would strictly be off limits. In which case, a Wellington based side might need to be the order of the day.

jle101

Club Legend
Sep 3, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Williamstown Seagulls
Eg Singapore Slingers for the NBL, was a massive failure for them

NZ is the best bet for an expansion country if it were to happen IMO
Wouldn't mind hearing a bit more about the downfall of the Slingers. Anyone know what the biggest factor behind the team faltering was? Was it a lack of a fanbase, or logistics maybe?

Oh, I don't discount the threat at all, just their ability to deploy them.

U wot m8
emu-portrait--kiwi-flickr-_-flickr.jpg

jle101

Club Legend
Sep 3, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Williamstown Seagulls
All of the above
You're right. The two biggest hurdles seem to be finances & logistics. Never realized that the Slingers played half their "home" games in Australia up until now. Seems that any overseas team joining the league would need to do the same (apart from NZ or PNG I guess).

Tackle Bag

Club Legend
Dec 5, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
South Africa, they have cricket grounds already and are familiar with the oval shaped ball. Will never happen though and it doesn’t need to.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
They would have to be a cricket playing nation as they would have to have the infrastructure already in place (ie ovals).
Hence South Africa is only real place that possible. It not going to happen. Just make the game great again here as it lost it's way in last two decades and lesser version of itself.

jle101

Club Legend
Sep 3, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Williamstown Seagulls
Hence South Africa is only real place that possible. It not going to happen. Just make the game great again here as it lost it's way in last two decades and lesser version of itself.
China seems to have some of the required infrastructure in place as well (can't remember what the name of the ground they played at for that Port/StK match). The Chinese national team seems to be improving in standard as well if their International Cup results are to go by. Plus the situation in China doesn't really require the sport to compete against other football codes which are already heavily entrenched in the local culture (except for soccer, maybe).

jle101

Club Legend
Sep 3, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Williamstown Seagulls
China. They'll tell Dan to get them a team and the AFL will fall in line.

The Chinese Dragons. You know it makes sense.
The Hong Kong Dragons might not be too happy about that! We could end up with Collingwood vs Port 2.0. Someone's gonna have to adopt the teal.

LOL.

The military campaign would be the east laughing at your 'forces' as they insist the ADF come and fight on your home ground.

the first policy of the new government would be to recognise PAFC's 4 trillion flags as of greater value to the vFL

May 7, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Well we are in the doghouse with China so that's not likely to happen anytime soon. Nearby is convenient meaning New Zealand and the nearby islands like Tonga, Fiji, and Samoa where they have big-bodied athletes.

If it becomes profitable enough other countries might take an interest.

Tasy might get a team in the next 50 to 100 years.:cool:

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
China seems to have some of the required infrastructure in place as well (can't remember what the name of the ground they played at for that Port/StK match). The Chinese national team seems to be improving in standard as well if their International Cup results are to go by. Plus the situation in China doesn't really require the sport to compete against other football codes which are already heavily entrenched in the local culture (except for soccer, maybe).
Whatever substance abuse you have indulged in today, it best you not do it again for your own mental health.

Nov 26, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Hard to see it happening imo. Firstly, much like the NZ situation, Rugby Union is far too popular for any other winter code to flourish. Even soccer hardly makes a dent in the public consciousness over there.

Secondly, the cultural link between the two countries isn't really there. From what I know there is a bit of a connection between West Australia & RSA culturally, but its probably not enough.

Then again, they're in the right hemisphere to make it work, & RSA has indeed competed before at the International Cup, but I'm not sure how many players for the team were actual born & bred Saffers.
Yeah I agree its very hard to see it happen but for some reason it feels like it has more potential than something breaking through in the US, China or England.

From memory Union was always more of a private (rich?) school thing in SA. For it to break out there it would likely have to come through the black South African communities. As a sport that requires limited equipment (aside from the grounds) its possible to start in poorer communities, its physical style of play could really fit some of those communities as well.

jle101

Club Legend
Sep 3, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Williamstown Seagulls
Whatever substance abuse you have indulged in today, it best you not do it again for your own mental health.
?

What was so fantastic about the post of mine you quoted to warrant a sarcastic "don't do drugs" talk? The AFL's ambition to generate a fanbase in China is a reality.

jle101

Club Legend
Sep 3, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Williamstown Seagulls
Yeah I agree its very hard to see it happen but for some reason it feels like it has more potential than something breaking through in the US, China or England.

From memory Union was always more of a private (rich?) school thing in SA. For it to break out there it would likely have to come through the black South African communities. As a sport that requires limited equipment (aside from the grounds) its possible to start in poorer communities, its physical style of play could really fit some of those communities as well.
It's quite interesting that League never took off in South Africa isn't it? Considering the upper-class baggage that Union carries around with it. I genuinely think you're right about a breakout happening in the black community, with a little more exposure & perhaps a few footy clinics the sport might just organically grow on its own. If the performances of any of the Sudanese players of recent times are a good indicator, Africans would take to the game like ducks to water.

Back