Moved Thread If Tasmania gets the 19th license, what state or territory would you like to see team 20 based in?

If Tasmania gets the 19th licence, what state or territory would you like to see team 20 based in?

• WA

Votes: 32 22.7%
  • SA

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • NSW

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • ACT

Votes: 50 35.5%
  • VIC

Votes: 6 4.3%
  • QLD

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • NT

Votes: 43 30.5%
  • TAS

Votes: 1 0.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Coolangatta

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 27, 2007
Western Australia
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
There's been some interesting discussion about this, at the risk of sounding repetitive, but I haven't seen it put to poll yet. Some argue that Canberra or WA would be the best choice, but critics say that Canberra isn't big enough to have a team in 10 years. Some argue against a WA team because it weakens the WAFL and dilutes the talent pool here, even more, or something along those lines.

I'm not sure and would need more data and analysis to be done, but it seems to me like one of those two would still be the best option for team 20 if they're coming within the next decade compared to other options, but there are potential drawbacks that shouldn't be ignored. And the most significant barrier at the moment to the Tassie team probably is the AFL is yet to figure out where team 20 should come from. I'm sure they'd go for NSW if the public interest were stronger, but it's not.

I'm opposed to any more teams, there's not enough good players for 18 teams let alone 20. The talent pool is spread thinly enough as it is. Not opposed to a team in Tassie, the AFL should be making a relocation offer to a financially struggling Melbourne based club which is too attractive to refuse.

I'm opposed to any more teams, there's not enough good players for 18 teams let alone 20. The talent pool is spread thinly enough as it is. Not opposed to a team in Tassie, the AFL should be making a relocation offer to a financially struggling Melbourne based club which is too attractive to refuse.
The talent pool is spread thin not because of lack of skilled players but because the lack of support for players outside of the football states. They have high level competitions that unearth players.

NT or ACT preferably. Ppl say WA but I don't know if another team would gain as much support as the existing teams. SA has better chance to gain members because not everyone is on board with adelaide or port.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It will take at least 25 years to be viable (crowds, members) & IF the WA Govt is needed to support it as they do the WAFC, who fund the WAFL competition & footy statewide.

Frankly the OP has no idea.

Given WA footy has an unique structure, so dont kid yourself it is like Vic/SA/Tas/NT/Q.
See for yourself: https://www.wafooty.com.au/open/d/EthN4KlIJKyiCyG3pgepIELTRcpoz75XoAwv_kliPyg
Okay, then, who gets team 20 if you've got it all worked out? It's never gonna stay at 19 teams because of the broadcast revenue potential from 10 games per round, and I highly doubt any Vic club would be relocated, although I wouldn't be opposed to it.

N.T is the no brainer but idk if it would be sustainable

There was an article last year proposing that some of the large Federal budget that goes to Indigenous Affairs could be used to subsidise the team.

The thinking being that the team and players could would work as positive role models for indigenous youth in the NT and assist in social outcomes.

Wasn’t the worst idea I have ever heard and god knows the Feds piss so much money up the wall that this would be a rounding error.

A team based in the NT would do more to boost the amount of indigenous people in the AFL system, especially in the admin/coaching ranks, than anything else they could try and it’s not even close.

Worrying about the possible attendances the 20th team could draw is pointless because they would struggle just the same in any existing market. The 20th team has way more value in allowing the AFL to sell 10 games per week to TV stations compared to what they’d draw in attendance/gate receipts, especially given the Gold Coast/GWS experiments. The added goodwill that could flow from the additional numbers of indigenous folk within the AFL system would also more than offset any worries about lost gate receipts, as well as the intangible benefits of having a better relationship with its indigenous players that such a gesture should foster. That’s without worrying about the added benefits NT would have from more tourists coming up/spending money there (which in theory should help the locals even more with the increased economic activity in the area allowing for more possibilities to either grow the population or better service the existing population).

Knowing the AFL’s penchant for empty gestures instead of meaningful action I highly doubt they would do something like that, and would be just content to play a didgeridoo or kookaburra sound after the home team kicks a goal instead to prove they really care about black people. But if they truly want more indigenous people involved in the game (both inside the system but also as part of the crowd), then they’d stick a team in NT and let nature take its course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Give it to a city/region that actually wants a team.

Gold Coast and Western Sydney have teams because the AFL wanted them to. Tassie is lobbying for a team because they want one. The AFL don't give a s**t about Tassie and never have. Tassie produces some AFL players and Tasmanians watch AFL games on TV and attend a few Hawthorn and North games in Tassie each year.

WA doesn't want a third team. Does Canberra? Newcastle? Darwin?

I've read suggestions of a 'Northern Australia' team which would be based in Darwin but would recruit from the NT, North Queensland (Cairns, Townsville) and Northern WA (Broome, Derby) and play a few home games a year in North QLD/WA while playing the majority of their home games in Darwin. The team would have a heavy focus on indigenous culture. However, the logistics of that option sound very complicated...

Canberra makes the most sense in my head. Already got a decent AFL following, half a million population, strong footy heartland between Canberra and the VIC border, should be able to easily petition for and receive government funding, historic oval stadium already exists, short flight time for the 12 teams based in VIC/NSW, convenient time zone for broadcasters etc.

Back