If the "2 stay in the 50" rule gets implemented....

Remove this Banner Ad

Ysaye

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Who would be our first choice two forwards and two backs? (My understanding is under this potential rule change there would need to be two players in F50 and D50 at all times)

Would it be:
Forward: Cox and Walters
Defence: Hamling and Ryan (*edited from Spurr which was a mistake)

?

Last edited:

Who would be our first choice two forwards and two backs? (My understanding is under this potential rule change there would need to be two players in F50 and D50 at all times)

Would it be:
Forward: Cox and Walters
Defence: Hamling and Spurr

?
Spurr? :eek:

ffs.

I don't care about "the look of AFL". This is a sport played in schools and other lower leagues. It's a sport first, if the top level has a problem because proffessional athletes are able to run all day - meaning they chase every contest they can instead of leaving petrol in the tank, tough t***ies. It is bs to keep changing the rules for the entertainment aspect of 900 players when there are hundreds of thousands playing this game.

As a former sports teacher there’s only one way to remove congestion.

MULTI BALL baby!!!

Here’s what I propose. Remove the bounce entirely.

2 balls. Either end of the ground. Once both balls are through for a score you start again. Yee haa!!!

Scoring goes through the roof. Commentating to a new level. Grounds on the increase. I can’t see any fault in this idea.

MULTI BALL baby!!!

2 balls. Either end of the ground. Once both balls are through for a score you start again. Yee haa!!!

Scoring goes through the roof. Commentating to a new level. Grounds on the increase. I can’t see any fault in this idea.

Can you imagine when Fyfe gets a hold of both balls and Bruce McAveny gets all excited and says "Ohh I love watching Fyfe play with his balls"...

MULTI BALL baby!!!

I am advocate of the development of a 2 ball sport. It would be unique, amusing and bewildering.

I just don't think AFL is the right sport to trial it in, but soccer could be. For gawds sake, 1 goal in a game, kicked during extra time shoot out....urrgh.

Fyfe & Walters up front
Handling & Pearce down back

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am sick to death of seeing games determined by skill, fitness, commitment, passion and that sort of garbage.

I look forward to games being determined by administrative technicalities and opaque rulings on positioning, especially if it is relative to another position.

It will be great to see replays of players in the wrong bib ("type N6" for example) put their foot into a zone that only type N4, R31 can enter in the first halves of games played in months starting with J if the powerplay doesn't apply.. except it would, though, if the interchange was in phase Orange. it will be wonderful to see a grand final be concluded with a "checkmate" ruling by the chair umpire because an interchange steward shouted "Mornington Crescent!"

So it'll be like every other rule change where they introduce something to increase scoring and speed the game up. One or two random teams will get a boost for a year or so because it happens to suit their list or current gameplan and then EVERY TEAM in the competition will figure out how to:

1) Slow the game down
2) Reduce the opposition scoring

It's not a Ross Lyon thing - the last 4 years have seen seen the lowest average scoring in the AFL since the '60s.

Stop messing about with the rules!

If they want to open things up they need to pay the free kicks that are there. Watch the players spread when someone is taking a kick.

The congestion is the result of the fallacy that "letting it go" somehow helps the game. Congestion occurs naturally in footy, the whistle breaks it up.

ffs.

I don't care about "the look of AFL". This is a sport played in schools and other lower leagues. It's a sport first, if the top level has a problem because proffessional athletes are able to run all day - meaning they chase every contest they can instead of leaving petrol in the tank, tough t***ies. It is bs to keep changing the rules for the entertainment aspect of 900 players when there are hundreds of thousands playing this game.
I'm pretty sure they have been using these 'new rules' for a while in the TAC/VFL/lower leagues, at least in Victoria they have.

All sounding great but they should go further...
  • Reduce the number of the players on the field to say 7
  • Reduce the size of the field considerably, say ~30.5m in length, that way the ball would travel from end to end much faster
  • Allow them to throw the ball - some teams get away with this already so no biggie
  • Maybe use a round ball instead to improve ball handling skills - turnovers can cause congestion
  • Wear bibs so we know exactly what zones players are allowed in
  • Make it non-contact because tackles cause congestion - instead they can only pressure the ball carrier from 3ft away
  • No running with the ball - it's too slow
  • Get rid of the whole kicking thing - people can throw far more accurately and less ground balls that also cause congestion
  • Make the forwards have to get the ball through some kind of metal ring ring suspended horizontally 8ft off the ground and just 1 point per goal instead of 6 because scorers can only count so high without making mistakes
  • Maybe put some kind of webbing or netting around the rings so we can see the ball going through it from a distance
  • Rename it something else... ____ball?, so people don't get it confused with soccer and gridiron - maybe something relating to the webbing around the goals?

I know half of you are taking the pi$$.. but some comments on here lead me to think some of you don't understand what they would potentially be bringing in with some of the "Anti-congestion" rules.

I've always said "leave the game alone".. but after watching more and more U 18's games in the last couple of years, im coming around the idea of starting points for stoppages. You can't have it both ways, whinge Ad nauseam every week about our forward structure and style of play (across the comp too) but then not at ways to keep a forced semblance of it.

I think Im for it tbh.. bring back games being decided by talent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back