Expansion If the AFL expanded, where would the next team/s be?

Sorry mods if this isn't the right place. I don't post on the main board much.
There are a few place that could have teams. Tasmania is one. The AFL has said that Tassie will be next, but not for another 10 years. Tassie is a proud footy state but a club there most likely wouldn't survive and they would need a fair bit of concessions from the AFL. Now, NT could also have a team. there are 2 oval. TIO Stadium (Darwin) and Traeger Park (Alice Springs) would be the ovals used. These 2 aren't exactly world class but they're pretty good. ACT don't have a team but the Giants have their claim over there for a while. Still, they should get a team. The blue and gold colour scheme is non negotiable for this team. If a 3rd WA side came in, I would imagine seeing the called Perth but their identity would be too hard to work with. Either that or a promoted WAFL side. If a 3rd SA side came in, they would have to be a promoted SANFL side. Now, QLD have had their fair share of expansion in recent times, but if they had a 3rd team it would either be a Cairns team or a Sunshine Coast team. So where would it be? Also, please post links if you find articles that would fit with this topic. I've got one:
http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2015-08-21/where-should-the-afls-next-club-be-based

Crawb

Norm Smith Medallist
SuperCoach Club Board Winner
Aug 11, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
People do realise NT doesn't even have half the population of Tasmania, right? If the AFL aren't thrilled by the financial viability of a Tasmanian team, you can be sure the NT is rightly not even on their radar.

And do we seriously need *another* thread on this?

People do realise NT doesn't even have half the population of Tasmania, right? If the AFL aren't thrilled by the financial viability of a Tasmanian team, you can be sure the NT is rightly not even on their radar.

And do we seriously need *another* thread on this?
I wasn't aware that there was one. As I said, I don't post here much.

May 30, 2006
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Where would or where should?

Would : WA3 and south-western Sydney; GWS renamed and taking the Parramatta-Penrith corridor; a nother "long term investment" in the Canerbury-Campbelltown stretch.

Should : Tassie from the point of view of "deserving" a team based on history, etc. On finances only WA3, WA4. WA6 would get a gig before Tassie, ACT or NT if left purely on size of economy and sponsorship availability.

But I think it will be a very long time before teams 19 and 20 are seriously considered. By that stage, Darwin will probably have a larger economy than Tassie (the ACT already does, but already supports a Super Rugby and NRL team; maybe [highly doubtful] an A-League and BBL team in the next ten years).

JD Tomahawk

Cancelled
SFA Good Friday Appeal Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Feb 17, 2015
Wimmera
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Boro
Like your optimisim. Can go either 3 ways in the future.
1. Expand to 20 team league. Youd expect a Tassie side firstly, after that I don't mind. Prob 3rd w.a side.
2. Keep 18 team league but merge 2 sides into 1, then ad Tassie side.
3. One of existing teams folds, no merger and Tassie side takes over.

Perth Royal Falcons.

Makes the most sense, right down to the name.

Cant ever see a team being based in TAS. There is a 200km drive between Hobart and Launceston so basing a team in either city basically rules the other one out. It'd be like driving from Melbourne to Echuca for a game of footy!

Even worse would be splitting the games. 5 games in Launceston and 5 in Hobart (then sell a game to Cairns or Darwin or something) would create a team with no real home. Depending on population FNQ is a better chance than TAS.

Perth Royal Falcons and Cairns Cobras/Canons/Cockatoos.

No more new teams, maybe relcoate a Vic Team to tassie if they are going under.
Carlton look most likely for this but they are a big vic club so that wouldn't happen.

Balance

Club Legend
Aug 3, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Manchester City
North Queensland? Canberra? A vic team would have to make way, that's why it wouldn't suit Adelaide or WA to get a third team. I personally would love to see a country vic team.

Back