Expansion If the AFL expanded, where would the next team/s be?

Oct 17, 2000
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy Football Club
If you're going to play semantics, they relocated from the Gold Coast to Brisbane in about 1992.

Ok, then. The Brisbane Lions are a relocated club because of their move from Carrara to the Gabba. Fitzroy did not relocate to Queensland, as implied.

Hawthorn must be a relocated club too. They went from Glenferrie to Princes Park to Waverley to the MCG / York Park.

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
Ok, then. The Brisbane Lions are a relocated club because of their move from Carrara to the Gabba. Fitzroy did not relocate to Queensland, as implied.

No, but it's pretty bloody obvious what the poster was getting at.

Hawthorn must be a relocated club too. They went from Glenferrie to Princes Park to Waverley to the MCG / York Park.

Actually, they relocated when they moved from Glenferrie to Waverley. Although given both are based in the same city, it's a little silly to call it a true relocation.

Oct 17, 2000
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy Football Club
No, but it's pretty bloody obvious what the poster was getting at.

"I think the best way for GWS & GC to have been better done would have been as relocated clubs. Like the way Brisbane were set up."

In other words Fitzroy relocated to Brisbane in 1996. My point was that never happened.

Brisbane may have been at the Gold Coast temporarily but they were named 'Brisbane' from their inception.

Actually, they relocated when they moved from Glenferrie to Waverley. Although given both are based in the same city, it's a little silly to call it a true relocation.

As far as I can see Hawthorn's home grounds in the VFL-AFL were:

• Glenferrie Oval: 1906–1973
  • Princes Park: 1974–1991
  • Waverley Park: 1992–1999
  • MCG - 2000 to present.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2008
FNQ
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Devils, Tigers & Jackjumpers
Not referring to home grounds, he's referring to administration/training bases. Hawthorn left Glenferrie to move their operations to Waverley. They were based at Glenferrie when they played at Princes Park, and were based at Waverley only after the ground had been retired...

By natural extension of your logic, Geelong is a Melbourne side every time they play a home game at Docklands or the G...

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
"I think the best way for GWS & GC to have been better done would have been as relocated clubs. Like the way Brisbane were set up."

In other words Fitzroy relocated to Brisbane in 1996. My point was that never happened.

Brisbane may have been at the Gold Coast temporarily but they were named 'Brisbane' from their inception.

I know what was said, but it was obviously in the context of having an in built supporter base in Melbourne.

As far as I can see Hawthorn's home grounds in the VFL-AFL were:
  • Glenferrie Oval: 1906–1973
  • Princes Park: 1974–1991
  • Waverley Park: 1992–1999
  • MCG - 2000 to present.

What Gibbke said.

The Bulldogs didn't relocate to Cairns for a week when they played a home game there, nor did GWS relocate to Canberra for the week. Where the club is based isn't necessarily where they play their home games.

Oct 17, 2000
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy Football Club
The Bulldogs didn't relocate to Cairns for a week when they played a home game there, nor did GWS relocate to Canberra for the week. Where the club is based isn't necessarily where they play their home games.

I understand that completely. Indeed the whole concept is absurd. Of course Hawthorn isn't a relocated club, in the manner that South Melbourne was or North Melbourne was going to be.

Brisbane may have played home games on the Gold Coast, but they were always named 'Brisbane' and were set up to represent that city. Hawthorn play home games in Tasmania but they're still called Hawthorn.

As I said, if there was some implication through the statement "I think the best way for GWS & GC to have been better done would have been as relocated clubs. Like the way Brisbane were set up." that somehow Brisbane were relocated from Melbourne, then that's patently incorrect. Like GWS and the Suns, the Brisbane Lions were set up from scratch in 1987.

Stratford

Rookie
Apr 27, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Problem with more than 22 rounds is that once you include the bye (or two) that the players insist on, it's a long season, and you run into issues with ground availability and the like.
For bloke's who get paid as much as they do the players make far too many demands.

Swap out Claremont with NZ (in 50 years) and I agree with that list.

Yeah, because a 3rd team in WA would be far more problematic than Cairns, Canberra, Claremont, Northern Territory,Norwood or NZ :rolleyes:

Garlic muncher

Cancelled
Feb 3, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
(In no particular order) Cairns, Canberra, Claremont, Northern Territory,Norwood, Tasmania, 24 teams, 23 rounds, every one plays everyone once, final 8 - average teams should not be in the finals.

Claremont is probably the weakest supported WAFL CLUB and is one of the most recent.

Having said that its ground is getting redevelopef big time with hundreds of units now built around it - it will look pretty good when finished

kid_a

Club Legend
Apr 5, 2010
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Hammarby IF, East Freo, Glory
Claremont is probably the weakest supported WAFL CLUB and is one of the most recent.

Having said that its ground is getting redevelopef big time with hundreds of units now built around it - it will look pretty good when finished

..and Their fans on average have more money than the other clubs I'd say.

Obviously Tasmania needs a team. Flight not that much further than flying to Victoria anyway and the have a strong AFL following. Should merge a team with North Melbourne to be based out of Hobart, with 3 or 4 games played at Launceston. Keeps a base of loyal followers to kickstart them which is something GWS and GC have struggled with

Always thought it would be interesting to introduce a new Victorian team (It wont happen there are already probably too many), but maybe somewhere based along the coastline like Lorne, Anglesea, Torquay or Queenscliff (could even merge all of them and just call them the south coast [sharks?]). Or possibly even Werribee which is probably more do-able due to its size and proximity with Melbourne.

South Australia needs a 3rd team. Could keep it centralised in Adelaide - Glenelg possibly. or a team in a region further inland like the Barossa Valley and maintain that as the the team that also represents NT during the games in Alice springs and Darwin as they're simply too far away to keep a team. They would have to be travelling 8 hours by plane each week to Victoria if they put them in NT.

WA could put up one more team. Just have a Perth side and that should do WA.

Another Queensland side, to me, would just be a waste because there simply isn't enough interest in AFL in the state. If that does change though either Townsville or Cairns would be the place to go.

A Canberra based team or a Newcastle based team would suit the AFL in NSW and there would be, i would think, genuine interest in the area.
Why do you want North to be merged out of curiosity. I could probably think of 2-4 that should move before them.

Well we all could. Simple fact is too many established clubs are failing financially.
Without Emirates Collingwood would be nothing. Total sponsorship adds up to $20 million for the Pies. s**t perfromance and yet big money. :drunk:

SnusCG

Club Legend
Aug 30, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Why do you want North to be merged out of curiosity. I could probably think of 2-4 that should move before them.
4th lowest total memberships of all Victorian clubs. You could argue WB, Melbourne or St.Kilda could merge, but North has more connections to Tasmania seeing as they play there during the year and it has a larger Tasmanian following.

Dec 19, 2011
Ballarat
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Man Utd, Seattle SuperSonics, SA Spurs
Obviously Tasmania needs a team. Flight not that much further than flying to Victoria anyway and the have a strong AFL following. Should merge a team with North Melbourne to be based out of Hobart, with 3 or 4 games played at Launceston. Keeps a base of loyal followers to kickstart them which is something GWS and GC have struggled with

Always thought it would be interesting to introduce a new Victorian team (It wont happen there are already probably too many), but maybe somewhere based along the coastline like Lorne, Anglesea, Torquay or Queenscliff (could even merge all of them and just call them the south coast [sharks?]). Or possibly even Werribee which is probably more do-able due to its size and proximity with Melbourne.

South Australia needs a 3rd team. Could keep it centralised in Adelaide - Glenelg possibly. or a team in a region further inland like the Barossa Valley and maintain that as the the team that also represents NT during the games in Alice springs and Darwin as they're simply too far away to keep a team. They would have to be travelling 8 hours by plane each week to Victoria if they put them in NT.

WA could put up one more team. Just have a Perth side and that should do WA.

Another Queensland side, to me, would just be a waste because there simply isn't enough interest in AFL in the state. If that does change though either Townsville or Cairns would be the place to go.

A Canberra based team or a Newcastle based team would suit the AFL in NSW and there would be, i would think, genuine interest in the area.
You're dreaming if you think any of coastal Victoria, Werribee, Inland SA, Townsville/Cairns or Newcastle are going to have AFL teams in our lifetime.

SnusCG

Club Legend
Aug 30, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
You're dreaming if you think any of coastal Victoria, Werribee, Inland SA, Townsville/Cairns or Newcastle are going to have AFL teams in our lifetime.
As I said I just thought it would be interesting to introduce teams in these places but obviously I know they're not going to happen. Logical choices are still really just Tasmania, Perth, or another Adelaide based SA team. Although I'm not sure why Newcastle is such a stretch - close proximity to Sydney and is still a large enough city to host an AFL team - fits in with the AFL's obsession with forcing the game into NSW as well

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
As I said, if there was some implication through the statement "I think the best way for GWS & GC to have been better done would have been as relocated clubs. Like the way Brisbane were set up." that somehow Brisbane were relocated from Melbourne, then that's patently incorrect. Like GWS and the Suns, the Brisbane Lions were set up from scratch in 1987.

Brisbane clearly were not a relocated club from Melbourne.
It is also untrue to say Brisbane Lions were set up from scratch in 1987.
It was Brisbane Bears that were set up from scratch in 1987.

Back