If the Board/Committee came out tomorrow and said Shaw/Rawlings are the changes, Would you be happy?

Would you be happy with Shaw + Rawlings?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

He has us playing smart, tough football, I haven't seen a 'hunt' like that in footy for years.

We've won four ******* flags in 94 years of VFL/AFL am not sure why it would be a risk in appointing Shaw?
Because the likelihood is whoever we appoint is going to get 7+ years.

It needs to be a considered decision.

The idea of give him a couple of years isn't really what we do.

True - but its where we start.

He has us playing smart, tough football, I haven't seen a 'hunt' like that in footy for years.

We've won four ******* flags in 94 years of VFL/AFL am not sure why it would be a risk in appointing Shaw?
It depends whats on offer, how long the honeymoon period lasts for and whether Shaw has the passion to be a senior coach by the end of the season! One a week at a time

Happy for 2 seasons, no more. Only once he proves himself across other aspects of the season I would be happy for an extension.

As others say also need to review the rest of the footy department and the interface between footy department and the board.

Changes to assistant coaches, CEO, development coaches and list management would not surprise in the slightest over the next 1-2 years.

I’m not in the camp against Longmire though. If Longmire was our coach I would still be happy so long as not for an unreasonable cost that might jeopardise hiring good people in other posts.

Maybe it should be what we do. The Brayshaw era of unwarranted extensions for ‘stability’ should end. That should be one of the findings of this review.

Management needs to be more involved in monitoring the footy department not just get John Longmire in and hand over all football power to him like what appears to have happened with Brad Scott.

Of course it could be a false 4 week dawn but by jingo, we actually (finally) have a "brand" at the moment.

In each of the last 4 games you actually know what North Melbourne is about. Far from making us predictable - it gives us a fighting chance each game. People knew what we were going to do each week int the 90s too and not just when Carey took the field.

I and I'm sure many others was waiting for the capitulation against Collingwood, Richmond and to some extent Gold Coast. We stayed intense. Hell we're the ones taking red time shots at goal.

**** me I'll keep touching wood, spanking a monkey foot and throwing salt over my shoulder to avoid the jinx but if Rhyce can be to us what Roos was to Sydney - setting a team-wide ethos that has soaked into the group ever since - then sheet sign the man up now.

Of course it could be a false 4 week dawn but by jingo, we actually (finally) have a "brand" at the moment.

In each of the last 4 games you actually know what North Melbourne is about. Far from making us predictable - it gives us a fighting chance each game. People knew what we were going to do each week int the 90s too and not just when Carey took the field.

I and I'm sure many others was waiting for the capitulation against Collingwood, Richmond and to some extent Gold Coast. We stayed intense. Hell we're the ones taking red time shots at goal.

**** me I'll keep touching wood, spanking a monkey foot and throwing salt over my shoulder to avoid the jinx but if Rhyce can be to us what Roos was to Sydney - setting a team-wide ethos that has soaked into the group ever since - then sheet sign the man up now.

I don't feel that about this side at all any more and didn't ... probably from the Richmond game.

There is definitely something different about them mentally. They seem to trust themselves - they are more sure of themselves and more confident in what they are doing.

I don't feel that about this side at all any more and didn't ... probably from the Richmond game.

There is definitely something different about them mentally. They seem to trust themselves - they are more sure of themselves and more confident in what they are doing.

I should rephrase re the Collingwood game. It wasn't so much concern of our concentration dropping away, more that their higher skill level would overcome us after we burnt so many opportunities.

However it seems our solution was to just create more opportunities.

Players already showing buy in with Shaw.

Could the board get the players involved with a coaching decision? Hold them accountable for their choice?

Say there was an anonymous player vote for Head coach and the results were overwhelming for Shaw. Doesn’t that solidify their committment to Shaw?

Sort of like a we are with you 100%?

Seeing as we're bringing blokes back to the club, let's get Patch.

As an assistant.
The main concern I'd have with Patch is that he's still only 31 and there's a lot of guys still on the list whose relationship with him is "one of the lads". Go listen to the players's podcast episode from last year that he was on.

But what he's done with South Croydon and Coburg is super impressive. He'll find his way into AFL coaching ranks in time. People talk about Shaw having been in charge of his own team, but coaching the seconds in an AFL system isn't quite the same degree of "in charge" as being a club head coach in a good league.

The last time I felt this type of excitement and groundswell of support for a coach was Denis, after a handful of games.
Neither Laidley or Scott generated any of this, from memory.
If we track like this for the rest of the year, Rhyce must be a lock.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The main concern I'd have with Patch is that he's still only 31 and there's a lot of guys still on the list whose relationship with him is "one of the lads". Go listen to the players's podcast episode from last year that he was on.

But what he's done with South Croydon and Coburg is super impressive. He'll find his way into AFL coaching ranks in time. People talk about Shaw having been in charge of his own team, but coaching the seconds in an AFL system isn't quite the same degree of "in charge" as being a club head coach in a good league.
This is a fair point.

My naming of Patch Is more due to the clear push to get North people back to the club.

I think he'd go alright as an assistant, be it with us or elsewhere.

I also like that his path is unconventional in what fits with his path as a player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Isn't the correct term 'spanking the monkey'?
Anyway, if the new North has you that rapt, what you do from the privacy of your own home or reserved seat at Docklands, is entirely your business!

Isn't the correct term 'spanking the monkey'?
Anyway, if the new North has you that rapt, what you do from the privacy of your own home or reserved seat at Docklands, is entirely your business!
I thought he meant rubbing a rabbit's foot which is supposed to bring good luck as opposed to touching wood which can bring bad luck if your curtains are open.

Personally I think it's Crockers time to finish up been an assistant for a while now just seems like a brad Scott clone to me. But I honestly don't know much about out assistant coaches.

You're right - you have to go away to come back. Need to take a risk and let him go like Rawlings and Simpson before we bring him back. If it means he thrives and flourishes elsewhere then so be it.

But I honestly don't know much about out assistant coaches.
This is funny.

Sack a guy.

Sack lifelong servant of the club.

He seems like a clone of a bloke we gave the arse.

But I don't actually know what I'm talking about.

This is funny.

Sack a guy.

What I'm trying to say is im sure crocker has gotten the most out of his coaching abilities and if there is someone else that comes in that is new.

This is a fair point.

My naming of Patch Is more due to the clear push to get North people back to the club.

I think he'd go alright as an assistant, be it with us or elsewhere.

I also like that his path is unconventional in what fits with his path as a player.

Didn’t Patch say that he thought Brad was a tactical genius? Poor bugger has had one too many head knocks.

This is funny.

Sack a guy.

Man Crocks was one of my favourite ever players. Such a clever and skilled player. One of those intangibles to know how good he could have been if not for injury.

I'm guessing as his son is at the club and likely to start playing with seniors he must be thinking about his role. I would love him to stay.

Back