If the Dees don't make the eight is it a failure?

Will it be a failure?

• Yes

Votes: 398 75.2%
  • No

Votes: 131 24.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

GiantOrange

All Australian
Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
A very interesting question from people across border on people's mind's is with all Melbourne's first round draft picks and traded in player's. If Melbourne don't make the eight in 2017 is it a failure? predictions are accepted?

Melbourne supporters have been unbearable of late. They're incredibly cocky for no reason. Their squad better do something this year.
i'm nowhere near cocky, got 3 out of 4 games at Etihad to start the year, and our list shows plenty of times they can still stuff it up with everything on the line

Also did you get a nice view from that high horse of yours?

Melbournes list is bottom 4 in the league for average age and experience, if they do make the finals it will be a good effort. I think they are putting together a great list, certainly not a failure if they don't make finals next season.

I hope they do make the finals next season, I think it's the most exciting time as a supporter when your team is on the upward trajectory. There is this excitement that's been missing, the unknown of how far the team can go and footy is fun again as it should be.

It's an awesome time as a supporter and Melbourne fans deserve to experience and enjoy that more than anyone.

Its not a failure as "making the eight" isnt any sort of actual victory. I would be disappointed as a Melbourne supporter as that is where the expectations lie and they would probably be underperforming if they miss.

Given the amount of young talent they have on their list, the additions of Lewis, Hibberd and Melksham, which instantly makes them a lot more experienced and stronger and their relatively friendly draw (in particular only 4 interstate games against teams on their home ground), I imagine they'd see making finals as a pass mark and as such I guess that means that if they don't achieve that pass mark, they've failed to reach their objective.

That doesn't take into account things like injuries though, which can always derail a season.

I don't see their age or experience levels as an excuse if they don't make it. If you're good enough, you're old enough.

Can't see it as a failure you can only base the season on merit
Of the 8 teams who played finals last year only the Hawks and Roos haven't improved and most people only think the Roos will drop out of the 8

Meanwhile Collingwood, St Kilda, Port, Fremantle will all be expecting to climb into the 8 and GC and Essendon have the potential to both improve significantly

Meanwhile North won't fall as far as people think IMO
Only Wells and Harvey will hurt them and a change to a more contested shut down style game could still see them win 8-10 games

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its not a failure as "making the eight" isnt any sort of actual victory. I would be disappointed as a Melbourne supporter as that is where the expectations lie and they would probably be underperforming if they miss.

This

A very interesting question ?
Its on people's minds ?

By comparison with GWS, the Dees have had virtually no help and very few draft picks.

I'll give you a tip whats really on people's minds, and it aint whether the Dees would be a failure....its how big a failure the GWS would be if they dont win the 2017 flag, then the following 3.
That's absurd
There are 18 clubs in the comp all trying to win it., I've been aound a long time and have never heard anyone seriously claim a club would be a failure if they didn't win the next thrèe flags before. Its a very rare event.
No serious fan could make the claim rationaĺly.
It's a childish attempt to downplay any success we have.
Flags are hard to win as they should be. It's also dissrespectful to the Hawks who pulled it off.
As for Melbourne they do have a good list and seem to me to be in a place to expect their young talent to come on next year. They have beaten us the last two times so I couldn't dismiss their chances with any credibility, even if I wanted to, and I dont.
I think they may well make the 8 but it's moving in a positive direction that matters as they try to become contenders, as every other club does in the next few years.

i'm nowhere near cocky, got 3 out of 4 games at Etihad to start the year, and our list shows plenty of times they can still stuff it up with everything on the line

Also did you get a nice view from that high horse of yours?
I haven't noticed it on BF it's true. I find with us people claim we're unbeatable and then arrogant because of what they've said. Seems to be a BF thing.

Melbourne just being able to hold on to good players and even attract a few from other clubs is basically like winning a premiership considering where we were just three years ago.

Making finals would be great.

And remember, 100% of the time that the Doggies won a flag, the Dees have gone on to win 6 of the next 7 premierships.

It's too easy to see team development as linear and ignore all other factors. If all the other teams in the AFL stand still and Dees list improves just because it is a year older and more experienced then position in the 8 is the logical expectation.

But that is not how it goes, players have second and third year blues, injuries occur, other teams make rapid progress over the off-season. The Dees list looks good but to be honest, I was not impressed with the way they played last year. There are probably 15 teams going into 2017 expecting to make the 8, Dees will be in the mix but personally I think they need to work on game plan and culture as much as player development before they reach the list potential.

I think Dees fans should look for develoment in that area - a Melbourne "brand" and if at the end of the year they can point to it then I think that is good progress regardless of ladder position (unless it is bottom 4 of course).

Of the 8 teams who played finals last year only the Hawks and Roos haven't improved and most people only think the Roos will drop out of the 8
I find this comment very interesting.

Swans haven't added any experienced heads, only draft picks. Have they really improved, or do we just expect them to?

Geelong have lost Bartel, Enright and Caddy, yet they've improved with the addition Touhey and Black? They need more mids pulling their weight, not less.

West coast have lost their premier ruckman for the year and picked up Mitchell and Vardy but are seen to have improved? That might be more of a break even than anything.

Hawthorn have added Mitchell, O'Meara, Roughead and Vickery, so even with the loss of Mitchell, Lewis and Hill, its highly debatable that that is not an improvement.

Dogs have improved with Crameri and Cloke going forward.

North have lost a lot of experience and only replaced them with youngsters who have a couple of question marks so I'd agree that they've not improved.

There's a lot of questions about who has improved and who is standing still for me.

I find this comment very interesting.

Swans haven't added any experienced heads, only draft picks. Have they really improved, or do we just expect them to?

Geelong have lost Bartel, Enright and Caddy, yet they've improved with the addition Touhey and Black? They need more mids pulling their weight, not less.

West coast have lost their premier ruckman for the year and picked up Mitchell and Vardy but are seen to have improved? That might be more of a break even than anything.

Hawthorn have added Mitchell, O'Meara, Roughead and Vickery, so even with the loss of Mitchell, Lewis and Hill, its highly debatable that that is not an improvement.

Dogs have improved with Crameri and Cloke going forward.

North have lost a lot of experience and only replaced them with youngsters who have a couple of question marks so I'd agree that they've not improved.

There's a lot of questions about who has improved and who is standing still for me.

OK I'll preface by saying that the Swans played a lot of very good young kids who will be better next year Heeney could do a bont
GWS and the dogs are young and improving
WC at worst are standing still but they have added one of the best mids of all time
Crows are fairly young as well

Cats I forgot about, I don't rate them at all and expect then to be around 8th

Hawks losing Mitchell and Lewis plus another year to Hodge means they haven't improved
Mitchell.T is a good midfielder but he isn't Lewis or Mitchell.S
Rough and Omeara are both guns but won't be at their best next year .. Vickery is a role player at best

For next season to be a success, the Dees will be looking at pushing for the 8. It'll be like 2005 for the Dogs where we just barely missed the 8 but it laid the groundwork.

With the amount of youth and addition of Hibberd and Lewis the list needs to improve on last season (2016) and that means making finals in 2017.
Young players get exposed to finals and further improve in 2018.
Missing finals means stagnating and that is failure.

I would think it would be considered a failure. Not a catastrophic one by any means, but a failure nonetheless.

They have enough young talent and experience too, and arguably the best ruck in the game. They're ready for finals. The issue will be a likely logjam of teams from the 7-11 range.

Or should I say, autocol, final's.

OK I'll preface by saying that the Swans played a lot of very good young kids who will be better next year Heeney could do a bont
GWS and the dogs are young and improving
WC at worst are standing still but they have added one of the best mids of all time
Crows are fairly young as well

Cats I forgot about, I don't rate them at all and expect then to be around 8th

Hawks losing Mitchell and Lewis plus another year to Hodge means they haven't improved
Mitchell.T is a good midfielder but he isn't Lewis or Mitchell.S
Rough and Omeara are both guns but won't be at their best next year .. Vickery is a role player at best
One noticeable thing about the Swans for me last yesr was their ability to produce standout youngsters who stood up in the pressure of finals.
Allir Allir I saw in the QF and was very impressed at how he handled it. Playing back in losing side he was in the spotlight a lot.

Back