If the NRL chose V8 Supercars chief as CEO, implications for AFL footy

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
The master of extracting money from government for sporting events is under consideration for the NRL position numero uno, i.e CEO - so what for the AFL, well our games is pulling money for games out of Tassie, games out of NT & Q, possibly even NZ but thats no clear & stadiums all over Aus.
Whats the V8 man done - all of the above & more, with events/race tracks across our country, in NZ, plus the UAE, & China, and an event confirmed in the US of A, Texas no less.

Tony Cochrane is the man, BUT probably the NRL wont meet his asking price.

A heavy hitter, who founded Sports & Entertainment Limited (SEL) with James Erskine, David Coe and Basil Scafiddi, Cochrane has negotiated multi-million dollar contracts with governments, media companies and blue chip commercial organisations.

Read more: http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/nrl-premiership/former-v8-supercars-executive-chairman-tony-cochrane-admits-interest-in-vacant-nrl-ceo-role/story-fn2mcuj6-1226479621252#ixzz27HoDXQ1D

Most Aussie Rules fans, me included, think Gallop was out of his depth with the NRL versus Demetriou/AFL, this bloke is clearly the equal of Andy, better??
Will NRL give AFL footy a run for its money?

IMO the races overseas for V8's make for a bit of an illusion that V8 supercars is popular overseas. The only reason why government's are interested in event's such as these is the sports tourism dollar, a bit like the NZ experiment for the Saints - Wellington council is intrested in the return that thousand's of Aussie tourists the game will bring for their $1million. And this also explains why Sydney are playing - Sydney is NZ's biggest Australian market for tourists.

So if he becomes NRL CEO, sure he might negotiate a few good contract's, but won't necessarily make RL more popular.

& how the AFL is dragging dollars out of Tassie for its product & NT & NQ.

He'd ruthlessly extract cash from the taxpayers for both stadiums & events, read games.

I'm suggesting he would take NRL up to Andy & the AFL, something Gallop failed to do.
If this occurs will the NRL become a despised oraganisation amongst it's fans for reaping dollars, in the same way the AFL has become?

A vibrant, aggressive, well marketed NRL is nothing new eh Stewie ... this bloke is no road bump.
The nRL only cares about its "heartland" in western Sydney, something which only came to their attention once GWS was formed. Fear of the AFL? The nRL has it, and I can't see anything changing whoever the CEO.

Tony Cochrane is a massive anus. I can't believe anyone would approve of this anus. If he were to be NRL CEO, the poostorm in the media, between the NRL/AFL would go into super turbo overdrive. If he were to be NRL CEO, there may be some gain of fans/money, but it'd be at the alienation of established fans. If he were to be NRL CEO, he'd probably try to get the PNG govt. to fund a street circuit to host all SoO. If he were to be NRL CEO, after all this time, where I've defended League, against these anti-league losers, I would then become the leader of this anti-league loser brigade!!!

**** off Cockrane!

Cochrane is far from a favourite of mine, BUT when you look at what he achieved, he'd shake the NRL up ...

They probably wont pay the dollars he's asking .... so its not a problem, but IF ... for those who dont know the man, he's abrasive/takes no prisoners ... was it Blighty who said come along for the ride? Bumpy when Coch0 has the levers !!

& yep, he's a tool, but the scoreboard reads SUCCESS.

It won't impact the AFL much but i think he would be a good CEO for other codes.

Never been a fan of Cochrane but he is far from a tool just look at what he has done in his time as Chairman with the V8 Supercars.

New race tracks such as the Homebush Street Circuit
Races in New Zealand , Yas Island in the UAE & from next year Circuit of the Americas in Texas
Nissan & Mercedes - Benz will join next year.

IMO the races overseas for V8's make for a bit of an illusion that V8 supercars is popular overseas. The only reason why government's are interested in event's such as these is the sports tourism dollar, a bit like the NZ experiment for the Saints - Wellington council is intrested in the return that thousand's of Aussie tourists the game will bring for their $1million. And this also explains why Sydney are playing - Sydney is NZ's biggest Australian market for tourists.

So if he becomes NRL CEO, sure he might negotiate a few good contract's, but won't necessarily make RL more popular.
V8SC isn't 'popular' overseas by any stretch but it is infinitely more popular than the AFL/NRL is. Sports fans in Europe would know very little if anything about the AFL/NRL but every single motorsport fan knows the V8 Supercars and Bathurst. The result of Bathurst was discussed during a NASCAR broadcast last year, and SPEED TV in the U.S. Sent their own team to commentate/cover the Bathurst 1000/Gold Coast 600 live last year.

Cochrane might be a complete tool, but he has no doubt done well bringing international exposure and interest to his sport. He would probably be good for the NRL in terms of growing the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back