Opinion If the Premier of Victoria states that we can gather to protest, then why can't we gather to watch football?

Remove this Banner Ad

“But I don’t think the Black Lives Matter protest has contributed, we are not seeing people who have clearly acquired it there.“

Hmmm so you mean the 10,000 person protest that you let happen with no repercussions (apart from the organisers) has had no impact on people not doing this as stringently as they had done before?

He has ruled himself politically compromised and professionally incompetent in that single sentence.

Ignore anything this man tells you. He's a Dan Andrews shill and no different to that other dickhead.

He has ruled himself politically compromised and professionally incompetent in that single sentence.

Ignore anything this man tells you. He's a Dan Andrews shill and no different to that other dickhead.

It's more the allowance of the protest without fining all attendees is would be a large cause of people not taking the rules seriously anymore. It's not about positive protestors, its about the rules not being applied to the situation.

The protest organisers were fined.
Dan Andrews told people not to go.
The Victorian Police told people not to go.
The Victorian Chief Health Officer told people not to go.

Not sure how you think Dan Andrews has 'turned a blind eye' to the protests, nor anyone from government.

Short of putting a Tiananmen Square-style blockade out on the Melbourne streets, I'm not sure what more you wanted from him regarding those BLM protests.
So did you listen to Dan and not go to the rally Chad? :stern look

My take on it is that the govt. figured that people were going to do it regardless so decided against being heavy handed and potentially causing violence. Just my take on why it would’ve been ok’ed.

They were pandering to their demographic.

They were playing political favorites with a public pandemic.

My take on it is that the govt. figured that people were going to do it regardless so decided against being heavy handed and potentially causing violence.

Prudent not to go, but at the same time prudent not to stop it or take a jack-booted approach towards those who attend.

Seemed like a fairly common sense approach to a unique set of circumstances.

I'll probably be branded an automaton or an apologist for saying this, but I personally wouldn't read too much into it. I don't see it as being part of any deeper political narrative, but of course there are those that will.

Victorians flouting restrictions and spreading community transmission comes from an underlying frustration at the protests that took place.
Yes the protests were selfish and completely against protocol but it basically allowed an equally as selfish response for family and friends to begin mingling together.
And now we have further restrictions.

It’s not that hard. Social distance yourself and we can end this s**t once and for all.
I’m no fan of Andrews myself as he is hellbent of maintaining low cases at any costs but he is the premier and he doesn’t give a * about what either of us think.

Just get it over and done with.

Not sure why people are so focused on the BLM protest.

It didn't result in a spike of cases and it wasn't approved by the government.

The cause of the spike has been due to people who have tested positive failing to self isolate.

You can hate the Vic government all you want but VIC government is not the one spreading the virus.

I love how the narrative jumps between personal accountability and not depending on who you dont like.

Dont like the protestors? Well then they are selfish for doing that during a pandemic. All should be fined or jailed!

What about the people who have been ******* up constantly EVERY SINGLE DAY, with documented evidence of spreading the virus through these actions, both before, during, and after the protest? Oh well thats the protestors fault you see, and the health officials, and any person on the planet other than their own god damned responsibility.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The cause of the spike has been due to people who have tested positive failing to self isolate.

You can hate the Vic government all you want but VIC government is not the one spreading the virus.

This is either poorly thought out or flat out disingenuous.

Victorians flouting restrictions and spreading community transmission comes from an underlying frustration at the protests that took place.
Yes the protests were selfish and completely against protocol but it basically allowed an equally as selfish response for family and friends to begin mingling together.
And now we have further restrictions.

It’s not that hard. Social distance yourself and we can end this sh*t once and for all.
I’m no fan of Andrews myself as he is hellbent of maintaining low cases at any costs but he is the premier and he doesn’t give a fu** about what either of us think.

Just get it over and done with.

I think you're reading way too much into the average person's logical reasoning powers. Except insofar as - what may very well be accurate - that people will happily crack the shits when they don't agree with a specific issue a la those that happily revel in the ignorance of never facing the reality of our distant and not so distant past.

People have been happily shopping at sh*tholes like Chadstone and Highpoint for months - surprisingly that didn't trigger some "underlying frustration" - presumably because these same people making some stance against frustration were happy to go shopping.

TLDR version - it's a long bow IMO to attribute community wide response to a single event. Personally I'm of the view that the single biggest contributing factor to increasing cases is a combination of relaxed restrictions and schools going back - the message from that to the average plodder is that things are back to normal. Given an inch, the masses will take a mile.

Mods, the title if this thread needs to be changed. Its not factually correct. Daniel Andrews did not say it was okay to protest and the organisers of the
Protest were issued with fines. Spreading of incorrect information is dangerous

one other aspect of the preoccupation about the BLM protest which is significantly overlooked by the haters of the Victorian Government is that a NSW Court determined that the demonstrations were LAWFUL.....let's say that again: LAWFUL - a verdict that presumably would have been likely repeated here, had Andrews attempted to ban, instead of discourage, them

It's not Ivanka Trump brought to Melbourne, it's factually correct; Andrews did not say the BLM rally was ok, he actively discouraged attendance

Stop trying to argue using facts here.

Your opponent doesn't care about facts. This is just another front in an ideological war for him and his kind because they have a persistent victim mentality, so they'll fight against anything and anyone with no obligation to be beholden by the truth.

Don't waste your time.

one other aspect of the preoccupation about the BLM protest which is significantly overlooked by the haters of the Victorian Government is that a NSW Court determined that the demonstrations were LAWFUL.....let's say that again: LAWFUL - a verdict that presumably would have been likely repeated here, had Andrews attempted to ban, instead of discourage, them
Thats the thing; yes people shouldn’t have gathered in mass, but yes it was an incredibly important rally and the timing was right. Fighting for human rights is NOT the same as having a ******* house party

They must be assuming that everyone who tests positive would tell them honestly if they have been to a protest. Not to mention how many of those who were there that wouldn't even bother to test.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back