Opinion If the Premier of Victoria states that we can gather to protest, then why can't we gather to watch football?

Remove this Banner Ad

If they had taken a strong anti stance from the start instead of effectively approving the march by saying nobody would be fined, then they had a chance to keep the numbers lower.
Opinion, not fact.

Andrews stance was pi55 weak from the start.
Opinion, not fact.

By saying nobody would be fined he immediately approved the march
Opinion, not fact.

and also interfered in the Police role - it was for Police to determine, not a Polly.
Opinion, not fact.

He said it was ok to break the law.
Opinion, not fact.

Of course you cannot lineup 10,000 people and fine or arrest them - it was too late then. Damage done.
Opinion, not fact.

Has nothing to do with Labor Liberal - just facts.
There were no objective facts presented here, just opinions.

But Dan Andrews said to stay home no matter what cause . I watched his press conference on TV . He said DO NOT protest no matter what . Not sure if you watched the news that week . It was Scromo that wanted everything open and go to the footy .

I don't think people would organise a rally now. We are in a different spot. Making this very clear. I didn't agree with or go to the first rally. Whilst the reason for the protest is absolutely valid, I thought, along with most other people that it was irresponsible, selfish, stupid and damaging to both the community at large and more specifically the exact demographic that the protest was designed to support.

I don't buy into this far right knucklehead narrative that the Vic Gov (or the Federal gov for that matter) gave any type of support to the rally. They actively discouraged it. They used strong language that it was not acceptable. All sides of politics, with the exception of the loonies in the greens were very strong on condemning the marches. I'm not sure what rock you were living under where you missed that? Maybe getting all your news via FaceBook?

So with that out of the way (hopefully there weren't too many words for you to digest) Could you please explain to me how the police could either

A: Stop and fine 10,000 people, who're protesting against the police in the first place without it causing a riot (especially as a fair chunk of that crowd was there explicitly in the hope that there would be a riot)

OR

B: Break up a protest march against police violence, by using police, without causing a riot?

Looking forward to your solution. Obviously with such a strong opinion, you'll have an answer?

A. as another poster alluded, Andrews could have used stronger messaging saying protestors will be fined rather then implicit endorsement.

B. Protestors rioting in Australia over American Police behaviour? Please don't make us laugh too much. You do understand the demographic of Australian protestors?

You take an interesting angle of a narrative and trying to camouflage cat s**t with dog s**t doesn't work.
It's still s**t.

Meanwhile every hard-working Victorian citizen would be absolutely fuming. The Daily infection numbers are insanely high.
Its culpable.
But hey let's pointer the finger at security guards banging a couple of toey chicks

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

[

So make a threat that won't be followed through by Vic Police because they don't want expose their members to that situation? T
he backlash when you don't follow through on fining people would've been harsher and you also look like you're blaming the police after the fact.
There is no perfect solution. Even Gladys was conceding the protests were going to happen days before and only made a last minute court challenge to appease her LNP state members who had kicked up a fuss. Communication inconisteinces all over the place when you're saying don't protest yet you're letting over 500 corporates and crowds into AFL/rugby games.
Andrews couldn't win politically on this decision.
Going hard line against the protests. Would have upset his constituents.

Not going hard.... Well you guys are all feeling it.

I hope that germ doesn't make it's way out into other states. Because the entire country is in danger.

I honestly dont think it would have made a snowflakes difference. They were going to march regardless. Sheesh. China virtually made it a jailable offece to participate in the hong kong protests yet they syill rocked up en mass. It looks to me you simply csnnot accept people will do what they choose. Repeat drink drivers/ unlicensed dtivers sre anothet example.
This is the hypothetical question.
Same circumstances now.
Would people gather on mass to protest in the streets of Melbourne Today?

And why not?

This is the hypothetical question.
Same circumstances now.
Would people gather on mass to protest in the streets of Melbourne Today?

And why not?

Hasn’t it been explicitly pointed out again and again by the people who track this sort of thing that the BLM protests did not result in any spread of the virus? The real issues are all happening indoors.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hasn’t it been explicitly pointed out again and again by the people who track this sort of thing that the BLM protests did not result in any spread of the virus? The real issues are all happening indoors.

Good point. There was a story hit the media this week that a large % could be traced back to the protest. Huge story. Then it was withdrawn so not sure why. It was either wrong or there was a legal issue, or both. I am not sure we will ever know. I think the most damage was the message it sent - don't go but I won't do anything if you do. The public reaction was obvious. People started relaxing - that was a stupid public reaction but it happened.

Andrews couldn't win politically on this decision.
Going hard line against the protests. Would have upset his constituents.

Not going hard.... Well you guys are all feeling it.

I hope that germ doesn't make it's way out into other states. Because the entire country is in danger.

I think the movement has started. Let's face it - the virus will always be around until there is a vaccine. I don't think it can be eradicated.

No not conusively.
And that's not the answer to the question

No not conusively.
And that's not the answer to the question

Sure not conclusive, but this was the Department of Health's statement:

"We are aware of six confirmed cases who attended the Black Lives Matter protest. Currently, there is no evidence to suggest they acquired the virus from the protest," a spokesperson said.

"None of these cases are known to reside at a major public housing complex.

"Currently, no known, nor suspected episodes of transmission occurred at the protest itself."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"We are aware of six confirmed cases who attended the Black Lives Matter protest. Currently, there is no evidence to suggest they acquired the virus from the protest," a spokesperson said.

"None of these cases are known to reside at a major public housing complex.

"Currently, no known, nor suspected episodes of transmission occurred at the protest itself."

"6 confirmed cases who attended the BLF protest.
Currently there is no evidence to suggest they acquired the virus from the protest"

.....hmmmmmm. no s**t boy wonder at the department of health. They already had it.

Then they end the statement with
"Currently, no known, nor suspected episodes of transmission occurred at the protest itself"

Are you sure about that ?

Interesting though, meaningless statement.
Says more then the actual statement
Cat out of the bag yet? Ouch

Last edited:
.....hmmmmmm. no sh*t boy wonder at the department of health. They already had it.

Then they end the statement with

Are you sure about that ?

They will never come up with conclusive enough proof for your liking but you do bring up an interesting point. I think there's no way a protest like the BLM one would happen this weekend in Melbourne as most people think the s**t is close to the fan, yet the US was probably in a worse state when their protests were held.

They will never come up with conclusive enough proof for your liking but you do bring up an interesting point. I think there's no way a protest like the BLM one would happen this weekend in Melbourne as most people think the sh*t is close to the fan, yet the US was probably in a worse state when their protests were held.
US is vast basket case at the best of times.
We shouldn't compare ourselves to them, particularly in this case. We have federal and state cooperation for a start.

It's not to my liking , it's my critical view of MSM and its political influence. It's a pretty blatant cover-up.
And I'll go long on this one.

Initiated by the government.

Weird cover up.
How is it weird?
The governor general instigates a royal commission.

I think Dan Andrews is an exceptional politician.
He's got most of you sucked in to his political narrative.
I don't think any other premier would have the capacity to deal with such a crisis the way he has.
He's got the media in his Pocket and no one asks the tough questions.

How is it weird?
The governor general instigates a royal commission.

I think Dan Andrews is an exceptional politician.
He's got most of you sucked in to his political narrative.
I don't think any other premier would have the capacity to deal with such a crisis the way he has.
He's got the media in his Pocket and no one asks the tough questions.

You need to do a little more homework on the Westminster system - the Governor General doesn't 'instigate' a Royal Commission, they are established by letters patent from the GG but only on the advice of the government of the day; they are therefore, ultimately a creation of government

You need to do a little more homework on the Westminster system - the Governor General doesn't 'instigate' a Royal Commission, they are established by letters patent from the GG but only on the advice of the government of the day; they are therefore, ultimately a creation of government
Ok doesn't instigate but are established by letters patent from the GG.

Thanks for that.

Point remains in response to previous poster, that why would a government order a royal commission into their own cover ups.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back