Politics If the Premier of Victoria states that we can gather to protest, then why can't we gather to watch football?

Remove this Banner Ad

10,000 attendees (per ABC article) isn't really that many in the scheme of things for a city of our size. If my maths checks out, we'd need to have dozens of undetected cases across the city before it becomes remotely likely that someone in attendance was carrying it.

Part of the problem is that people cannot know whether or not they are carrying the virus without being tested.

Common 'flu has an attack rate of 1.3; the latest research suggests corona is between 3 and 4.

No, you said

So, did you get down there and show them what’s what? I imagine they’d appreciate your unique take on all sorts of issues.

Nice selective reading, read the bits you didn't highlight which clearly show the question, if they hate the police so much, would they go to the police if someone attacked them? A very simple question and if they truly hate the police, they are morons in need of a good beating and if there were no legal repercussions, I'd be more than happy to assist. But I suspect they'd be the first to go crying to the police when it suits them.

Nice selective reading, read the bits you didn't highlight which clearly show the question, if they hate the police so much, would they go to the police if someone attacked them? A very simple question and if they truly hate the police, they are morons in need of a good beating and if there were no legal repercussions, I'd be more than happy to assist. But I suspect they'd be the first to go crying to the police when it suits them.
In need of a good beating???? When will people learn.

Am going to go against the mass hysteria and predict that this has no impact our case trajectory.

10,000 attendees (per ABC article) isn't really that many in the scheme of things for a city of our size. If my maths checks out, we'd need to have dozens of undetected cases across the city before it becomes remotely likely that someone in attendance was carrying it.

No. of undetected carriers across MelbourneChance of someone infected in attendance (%)
1​
99.80​
2​
99.60​
5​
99.00​
10​
98.02​
20​
96.08​
50​
90.48​
100​
81.87​
200​
67.03​
347​
50.00​
500​
36.79​

Even then, 95% of them seem to be wearing masks, so in the unlikely event somebody infected did attend, it seems like the risk of spread should be greatly minimised.

Compared to the thousands that have been going through Chadstone and Westfields across the city each weekend, typically without masks, typically with a lot more touching, and we haven't seen any major outbreaks there - I'd estimate our number of undetected cases is pretty low.

Still not an ideal thing to be doing - it only takes one, but the sky isn't about to fall in as some people seem resigned to.

But that assumes they knew how to properly use their masks, how to properly dispose of their masks and they still didn't touch their face throughout the entire day. Also the comparisons with shopping everyone keeps making across social media all the time ignore the fact you don't spend a long time in one spot or standing next to a stranger in shopping centres for long periods. Also people have generally been keeping their distances.

The people here were standing shoulder to shoulder with thousands of random, unknown people for an hour or 2, it is a far greater risk of transmission than a visit to the shops.

The biggest problem with proving this was a cause is you can bet when they test positive, none of them will admit to being at the rally and they are obviously the sort of people who would have refused to download the app.

i read all of it. You were going down there with a halligan tool. Nothing selective about it.

So you’re not allowed to question the manner in which the police do their job? You have no expectation that they be accountable for their actions?

And if your critical of the way police do their job, you cannot ask them to do their role and provide protection?

They’re all simple questions. Go for it.

i read all of it. You were going down there with a halligan tool. Nothing selective about it.

So you’re not allowed to question the manner in which the police do their job? You have no expectation that they be accountable for their actions?

And if your critical of the way police do their job, you cannot ask them to do their role and provide protection?

They’re all simple questions. Go for it.

If they were just questioning the actions in the very small minority of cases which has upset them then that’s one thing. Saying * the police, get rid of the police and saying if the police do their job during the rally there will be trouble is just being disrespectful and clearly people who will never admit that in 99.9999% of their job, the police do a good job.

But that’s why I asked the question, if you want to say * the police, do you still expect them to protect you?

We all know what happens if the copper clips this dickhead's boot and he falls head-first onto the concrete.

G27wq5p.jpg

We all know what happens if the copper clips this dickhead's boot and he falls head-first onto the concrete.

G27wq5p.jpg
Saw a vid the other day of an American woman fly kicking a police officer in the head during a protest, the officers partner immediately arrested the woman responsible (as would happen to you or I) and the crowd immediately jumped onto them both, with protesters shrieking "GET OFF HER! GET OFF HER!".

Saw a vid the other day of an American woman fly kicking a police officer in the head during a protest, the officers partner immediately arrested the woman responsible (as would happen to you or I) and the crowd immediately jumped onto them both, with protesters shrieking "GET OFF HER! GET OFF HER!".

That police are being depicted as the enemy in a lot of media coverage is a sign of something very sick.

Let's be honest. The choice Daniel Andrews is being given by the public is to either be labelled as negligent or racist. A dilemma for him because if he allows these protests during COVID-19, then a section of the public will deem him as negligent to the parameters he has been regulating. If he refuses it, then a section of the public could label him as someone who is satisfied with the systemic racism that seems to be ingrained within the US police force. I honestly do not envy him for this predicament that he found himself in.

I think that whatever he ended up choosing to support publicly would not have been a choice he arrived at easily. Let's be a little less harsh on him and understand where he came from.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let's be honest. The choice Daniel Andrews is being given by the public is to either be labelled as negligent or racist. A dilemma for him because if he allows these protests during COVID-19, then a section of the public will deem him as negligent to the parameters he has been regulating. If he refuses it, then a section of the public could label him as someone who is satisfied with the systemic racism that seems to be ingrained within the US police force. I honestly do not envy him for this predicament that he found himself in.

I think that whatever he ended up choosing to support publicly would not have been a choice he arrived at easily. Let's be a little less harsh on him and understand where he came from.
Hahaha, absolutely pathetic. Yeah let's go easy on him for not sticking by his principles and exposing himself as a weak leader.

The Premier isn't there to make decisions based on what he gets labelled. He has to be better than that.

He has lost all credibility in respect to this pandemic and all these restrictions.

Why should any of us pay any attention to what he asks us to do now if he'll let 30,000 gather to "protest" something that has nothing to do with us and that everyone agrees with anyway (Floyd's death was wrong and the officers should and have been charged).

He effectively ignores the same health risk that the government has deemed so serious that they have deliberately destroyed the economy and taken away basic freedoms in a way most of us have never seen before and hopefully won't see again.

And he does that because some naive leftie idiot might label him with the RACIST word..

Pathetic.

Is that really the best example you've got?

You think it's ok for citizens to completely disrespect police officers and call them a '******'?

What happened before the start of the video? (I guess in your world that doesn't really matter).
Well, yeah. It's not illegal to swear at police in the US as far as I'm aware under the first amendment.

Well, yeah. It's not illegal to swear at police in the US as far as I'm aware under the first amendment.
Why do braindead commos like yourself hide behind the first amendment when it suits you, while simultaneously calling for the abolition of the constitution?

“Indigenous deaths in custody” seems to be the go-to grievance for these protestors. Yet we know for a fact that non-indigenous are statistically more likely to die in police custody. How does this remain their primary complaint? Don’t they know that we know it’s a load of bull? They just don’t care and they keep carrying on saying the same thing in a post-truth, gaslighty sort of way.

Doesn't have much choice tho does he? As weve seen, if you send the cops in then it doesnt exactly de-escalate the protests...

I'd rather there not be a huge gathering, but if there was, theres still a difference between doing so for civic engagement, and doing so for recreation.

What dumb ******* logic

The police are there to uphold the ******* law.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

You can't take the hardest stance on social distancing in the country during covid-19 and then take the softest stance on protests during covid-19 without criticism

Allowing the protest to go ahead is a s**t decision after banning people for working to provide food for their families

Last edited:
If they were just questioning the actions in the very small minority of cases which has upset them then that’s one thing. Saying fu** the police, get rid of the police and saying if the police do their job during the rally there will be trouble is just being disrespectful and clearly people who will never admit that in 99.9999% of their job, the police do a good job.

But that’s why I asked the question, if you want to say fu** the police, do you still expect them to protect you?

With the exception of some dubious behaviour in Sydney Central station everyone did their job yesterday. Protesters had their say.

If as a serving member you’re response to “* the police” is not to DO YOUR JOB you need to find other employment. It’s a political statement not a personal judgement. And as a matter of disclosure my brother is a serving Vicpol member. As was my father.

You can't take the hardest stance on social distancing in the country during covid-19 and then take the softest stance on protests during covid-19 without criticism

Allowing the protest to go ahead is a s**t decision after banning people for working to provide food for their families

To be clear, Andrews did urge people not to attend to Limit COVID spread. The idea that he can “ban” the protest and people will not show up is pure fantasy.

Just like the 5G/anti-vax loon protest, they are showing up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back