If the siren goes after a defender has kicked the ball but before it goes out of bounds on the full.

Remove this Banner Ad

Does the other team still get to have a shot on goal?

I've never seen this happen and it would be pretty rare, but i am curious.

My gut feeling is that they should be able to have a shot, but after looking at the rules of the game it doesn't seem so straight forward.

The rules mention that the Umpires can pay a free kick after the siren whilst the ball is in transit when a player has kicked for goal? Is it up to the umpires to interpret whether or not a player is kicking for goal, because it would be hard to argue that a defender is having a shot from 150 odd metres out.

But looking at it the other way, a defender would get a free kick in the back pocket after the siren if a forward has a shot and the siren goes before the ball crosses the line.

If the Siren goes BEFORE it goes out of bounds off the kick, then the free kick SHOULD stand id have thought?
Would not have thought so, the ball was in play when the siren, and went over after. The same as if a ball is marked after siren the kick doesn't get taken. A score counts because no player had to intervene, taking the kick would be intervening with the ball.

If the ball had gone over and the boundary umpire not yet signalled or blown the whistle, not so sure.

Last edited:
I think it would be a free kick. Same as a goal being counted after the siren as long as the ball has left the kickers foot before the siren sounds.

If the ball is within the boundary line when the umpire signals full time no shot.

It is not when the siren goes, it is when the controlling field umpire signals full time.

If the ball is within the boundary line when the umpire signals full time no shot.

It is not when the siren goes, it is when the controlling field umpire signals full time.

Are you sure that is correct? For a mark to be paid has to be taken before the umpire hears the siren, so if the order of events is:

Umpire hears siren
Mark is taken
Umpire blows full time.

Mark is not paid.

Why is it different for out of bounds?

This exact thing happened on Friday night, at half time. Hawthorn defender kicked it, siren went, then it bounced OOBOTF.

At the time i thought the cats were robbed of a free 75m out, but on tv replay the siren goes first, and the umpire called for the pill.
If it bounced then its not out of bounce on the full.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would be the same as when a kick comes off the boot for a scoring shot and the siren sounds as the ball is in the air.
Play remains live until the umpire signals full time, the siren doesn't automatically end the game.

It would all depend on when the ball was kicked, before or after the umpire signals time. Simple as that

Would be the same as when a kick comes off the boot for a scoring shot and the siren sounds as the ball is in the air.
Play remains live until the umpire signals full time, the siren doesn't automatically end the game.
It would all depend on when the ball was kicked, before or after the umpire signals time. Simple as that

Incorrect. Any decision on paying a free or mark or score depends on when the umpire hears the siren, not when they blow time.

Rule 10.4 if you want evidence to back that up.

Ok. Next.

Kick after the siren (mark or free kick) - defenders are allowed to try and touch it. Are attackers allowed to try and shepherd it through? Can a free kick still be paid after the siren to either team? It would seem sensible to do so, but I have never seen it.

Then you have the issue of the kick taken before the siren, siren goes while in the air, what happens if an infringement then occurs in the shepherding/defending scramble?

What if a defender takes a mark on the siren ...
On hearing the siren (but before the umpire signals time) he boots the ball high and wild in delight at
winning... and the ball goes through the sticks ....has he just cost his team a point or goal .. ??

Ok. Next.

Kick after the siren (mark or free kick) - defenders are allowed to try and touch it. Are attackers allowed to try and shepherd it through? Can a free kick still be paid after the siren to either team? It would seem sensible to do so, but I have never seen it.

Then you have the issue of the kick taken before the siren, siren goes while in the air, what happens if an infringement then occurs in the shepherding/defending scramble?

Yes you are still allowed to shepherd it through, but if such action causes either player to do anything illegal (shepherd too early, hold, push in back, etc) then absolutely a free kick would be paid.

Last edited:
Don't think a free kick would be awarded. They wouldn't award a push in the back that occured after the siren went.
Absolutely they would.

Say Smith is having a shot after the siren, and Schoenmakers goes to the line to try and legally shepherd Harry Talyor from touching the ball.

If Schoenmakers does it illegally (push in back or hold for example) then score does not count and it is a free kick to Geelong.

If Andrew Mackie, attempting to free Taylor to touch the ball, pushes Schoenmakers in the back or holds him, then one of three things happens:

Smith kick was a goal: goal stands
Smith kick did not score: free kick to Schoenmakers where he or the ball was at time of infringement, whichever is closer to goal
Smith scored a behind: Schoenmakers given the choice of taking the free kick or having the behind scored.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back