If two years ago you were told Kelly had left the club, and dangerfield would be out 9/11 of the first rounds..

Remove this Banner Ad

A bit left field considering he's not currently in the leadership group - what about Guthrie?

He's one that's really stepped up in the last 18 months & he's leading on the field with the way he's going about things - wonder if we may see him return to the leadership discussion
I assume he doesn’t want to be in it because he’d be an obvious choice on other factors.

Hawthorn tried exactly the same approach and look where they currently are. Once your core players are gone the process will be almost impossible to continue As you no longer need top up players then but players to replace the core. Once hawks lost hodge, Lewis, Mitchell, Roughead their side fell apart. we are about to lose our core players who are 31 and over.
We have already lost more than their equivalents.
Corey, Enright, Bartel, J.Kelly, T. Kelly, Chappy, SJ, Mooney, Scarlett, Ottens, Milburn, GAJ, Taylor, and apparently we are still in contention.
We will look for replacements for Hawkins, Danger, Selwood, but if we nab a flag, maybe we will restart. JC has not come to Geelong for a one year splurge.

I see the two most likely choices for captain at the moment as Stewart and O'Connor and depending on how long Selwood goes Parfitt.

Or hell someone we don't have any idea on atm like a Holmes/coop/SDK etc

Not many would of been able to point at Selwood or many great captains in the first year or two and said they will turn out to one of the best captains of all time.

I see the two most likely choices for captain at the moment as Stewart and O'Connor and depending on how long Selwood goes Parfitt.

Or hell someone we don't have any idea on atm like a Holmes/coop/SDK etc

Not many would of been able to point at Selwood or many great captains in the first year or two and said they will turn out to one of the best captains of all time.

Stewart or Parfitt for me too.

Huge shoes to fill.

I don't think there's any doubt it will hurt long term. Whether it will be worth it for the short-term gain is the more pertinent question. Wait until the end of the season to find out. At the moment, I don't think we're tracking anywhere near as well as the top teams like Bulldogs, Melbourne, Port, Brisbane, etc. 8-3 is nice, but our draw thus far has not really been particularly difficult. We've spent the last few weeks, and much of the season, scraping out wins against average-to-poor sides.

Specifically ... germane to the picks we gave up for Cameron ... and the players taken. Which player will hurt us long term? As it stands not one player taken with those pick will hurt us this year. Long term ..well one can make a case for any pick not taken hurting one. One might ask why every club passed on Henry too.

So I think there has to be doubt that it will hurt us long term. Players taken Stone, Anguin and Cook. No doubt nice adds , and they may or may not develop into top players. Personally Id have taken other players, maybe you would have too. Who knows who we would have taken.... but all we need to do is find one or two Close/ Menegola/ Stewart types with late picks or even with the picks this year .. and we will have not lost on the deal.

Whether we are tracking as well as Dogs, Dees, Lions ... what do all these teams have in common? To me they obvious thing they have that we don't is early single figure pcks. They have paid to have those early picks with cellar finishes.

Port , without those early single figure picks is probably the one Id compare us to, and what they did was go hard with the right picks in the right year... something id certainly advocate. Ideally Id love for us to add 2-4 quality kids , single figure kids... but how to do it without a Hawthorn melt.. I can not see. Find another 2 or 3 Tim Kellys and sell them? How many AFL clubs like Alan Bond are out there?

Last edited:
We have already lost more than their equivalents.
Corey, Enright, Bartel, J.Kelly, T. Kelly, Chappy, SJ, Mooney, Scarlett, Ottens, Milburn, GAJ, Taylor, and apparently we are still in contention.
We will look for replacements for Hawkins, Danger, Selwood, but if we nab a flag, maybe we will restart. JC has not come to Geelong for a one year splurge.
We didn’t lose them over 3 years and we had young players including hawkins and selwood rising into their primes as they started to leave.

parfitt and Jack henry arent thé equivalent of selwood and Hawkins. Plus again those players left over 10 years. Not 3.

No hawthorn ignored the draft as they traded all their picks out we have still been drafting early and nailing our late picks.
since 2016...
Total 27 picks to 33
National 14 picks 21
R1 picks 2 to 4

I think the numbers indicate we have been willing to go to draft more than Haw... without looking at what you do with those picks or the players taken.
The key is if we can replace our high end with the picks we do use.
While we stay comnpetitive we will continue to draw Camerons and Dangerfeild's to some degree, but to renew I think we have to do that from within. Guthrie,Parfitt, Narkle, etc etc... So far Guthrie and Stewart has helped

Whether early or late picks, Corey or Enright, we will be vulnerable to what has happened at Haw if we do not develop from within. Haw have turned it will be interesting to see how long it takes them.

We didn’t lose them over 3 years and we had young players including hawkins and selwood rising into their primes as they started to leave.

parfitt and Jack henry arent thé equivalent of selwood and Hawkins. Plus again those players left over 10 years. Not 3.
Bartel, Chappy, SJ, Corey, Kelly, and Pods - 3 years.

I look at Hawthorn as the model of how easily the wrong captaincy pick can hurt culture. Stratton and McEvoy were awful choices to lead that club. Especially Stratton. Their situation is comparable to ours since Hodge, like Selwood, was a generational leader.
So who should it be in your opinion, after Selwood?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Guthrie seems the logical choice?
Plays well, does a lot of pointing etc on the ground.
My choice too. But, turning 29 this year, and will be turning 31 if Selwood he goes another year. Stewart only 7 months younger, and probably woul;d rule out Blicavs.

So I wonder if Parfitt would fit the bill. Or MOC. Or Henry.

Yep that’s 6. We are going to lose 9-10 over the next 3 years. And last time we had hawkins and Selwood and Taylor to soften the blow. We don’t have those equivalents this time. Tom stewart being the only one.
Only Hawkins and Dangerfield of that 9-10 are hard to replace.* And in three years we’ve got plenty of opportunity to do so.

*Selwood is hard to replace in a leadership sense but not a playing sense on current output

Yep that’s 6. We are going to lose 9-10 over the next 3 years. And last time we had hawkins and Selwood and Taylor to soften the blow. We don’t have those equivalents this time. Tom stewart being the only one.
We have Cameron .
We have Stewart.
We have Guthrie.

Only Hawkins and Dangerfield of that 9-10 are hard to replace.* And in three years we’ve got plenty of opportunity to do so.

*Selwood is hard to replace in a leadership sense but not a playing sense on current output
yeah We can replace many of them but the players we will be replacing them with arent as good.

Duncan, Guthrie, Henderson aren’t going to be easy to replace either.

some of you guys probably think the same about Blicavs too.

yeah We can replace many of them but the players we will be replacing them with arent as good.

Duncan, Guthrie, Henderson aren’t going to be easy to replace either.

some of you guys probably think the same about Blicavs too.
They get replaced by both new players to the list and existing players on the list stepping up. There’s no reason they can’t be as good.

My choice too. But, turning 29 this year, and will be turning 31 if Selwood he goes another year.
True. But the improvement in his running is a great example and great captain material.
I remember hearing Nick Riewoldt saying he held on to the captaincy for a couple of years too long.
Maybe Selwood would've heard that interview too.

Cameron will be 31, Stewart 31 and Guthrie will be 32. Likelihood is one of them will be well below their current form or gone by that time as well.
Maybe once we lose ALL of these stars, we rebuild. But as you've said, we've had too much talent to not do what we've done. I fully endorse what the club has chosen to do, and we remain a pain to all other clubs, and the envy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back