Prediction If we don't land a Kelly or Martin type...

Remove this Banner Ad

If we get nothing this year, then we will have pick #2.

On a positive note, the way this year is going going, we probably wont need to trade our 1st round pick next year if we remain in this position & Kelly is on the table. On a sad note, the trade for Hrovat got more expensive.
Raynor was amazing Friday night. If we got him that would be a fair start.

I posted this in another thread but I spose it's relevant here

Rebuilds happen quickly these days. North could well finish bottom 2 this year, hit the draft, pick Rayner & Spargo and go again the following year with Tarren Thomas, Scott and maybe Blakey. North could front load all contacts to reach the 95% threashold and hit the 2018 trade period with an extremely juicy offer for a player they fancy.

we have to pay 105% next year. no ifs or buts.
the rules are all clubs must spend 100% of cap, over a rolling 3 year period, with no more than 105% in any one year.
we are well behind

Rayner is going to hit the ceiling first.
I say get a skinnier type who is going to build like a LDU OR obrien.

Nah, Rayner has plenty of scope for improvement. Imagine once he builds his tank.

we have to pay 105% next year. no ifs or buts.
the rules are all clubs must spend 100% of cap, over a rolling 3 year period, with no more than 105% in any one year.
we are well behind

I'm not going to pretend to know what our tpp is this year, but in any case we could just move some contracts around the reach the threshold

On friday LDU looked like a 2nd rounder at best. i know hes not, but these are the games that influence a lot.
Nah, Rayner has plenty of scope for improvement. Imagine once he builds his tank.

I'm not going to pretend to know what our tpp is this year, but in any case we could just move some contracts around the reach the threshold

we have already front loaded most of our contracts. we are paying roughly 93% with permission from the afl.
we need to spend.

On friday LDU looked like a 2nd rounder at best. i know hes not, but these are the games that influence a lot.

we have already front loaded most of our contracts. we are paying roughly 93% with permission from the afl.
we need to spend.

Inner scrote?

Pretty obvious skilled midfielders needed asap with decent pace hoping adhern will work out. Truckload of money thrown at Zac jones and keep first pick. This year has proven that the comp is so even that right selections will move us up the ladder.

On a positive note, the way this year is going going, we probably wont need to trade our 1st round pick next year if we remain in this position & Kelly is on the table. On a sad note, the trade for Hrovat got more expensive.

Footscray are helping the expense management a bit.

I posted this in another thread but I spose it's relevant here

Rebuilds happen quickly these days. North could well finish bottom 2 this year, hit the draft, pick Rayner & Spargo and go again the following year with Tarren Thomas, Scott and maybe Blakey. North could front load all contacts to reach the 95% threashold and hit the 2018 trade period with an extremely juicy offer for a player they fancy.

I'm pretty sure that we can only go to the well on future round picks once. Meaning its unlikely we can get all three, and if we do its because they are not really rated at draft night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As it stands we paid pick 56 for him. Still a steal.
Screen Shot 2017-07-02 at 6.24.08 pm.png

We have the makings of a very good side, and bar the Richmond and St Kilda games I reckon the season has been significantly better than people round here think. We've been very competitive against a lot of good sides, and could easily be in the 8 if we'd managed to win tge games we should have, despite having a disfunctional and inconsistent midfield. So I don't think its panic stations, but there's no doubt the midfield needs a massive overhaul. Having a look at only the players I'm pretty sure have the ability to be in our side when we're next challenging, our team looks like this:

Williams - Tarrant (vc)- ????
Wright - ??????? - MacMillan
McDonald - Cunnington - Higgins
Wood - Brown - Ziebell (c)
Garner - Daw - Simpkin

Preuss - ??? - ???

Interchange: Atley, Hrovat, Jacobs, Dumont, Turner

So that looks pretty promising imo, but how to fill the gaps? We have a few options for each position.

With the back pocket, without adding to the list, we either play Mullet and have Wright play 3rd tall, or one of EVW/ Hibberd emerges and grabs the spot. I reckon this positions is Ed's long-term, and he's shown enough that we don't need to trade for that 3rd tall type. Trent McKenzie is one we've been linked to in that role, but I'd back EVW to be a better player than him long-term.

At CHB, Durdin and Nielson are the guys on the list who look most capable. Unless Hansen turns it around he'll be gone sooner rather than later, and with Thommo likely retired, one of those 2 will have to hold down a KP post. Alternatively, we could target someone like a Jake Lever, however what he would cost in terms of picks makes it a very risky target, and I'd be backing one or both of those 2 to take the next step.

The midfield spots are our clear weakness. From our current list, it is possible that they could be filled by the likes of Dumont, Jacobs, Mountford or Clarke, however while they've all shown good signs, its a long, long way from certain that even one of them will become the game-breaker we need. Ahern and Simpkin are probably the most talented young mids on pur list, and the most likely to become A graders, however they've both struggled with injury and will need a few years development before they can be genuine midfield options.

That leaves us with two choices: either we go to the draft and fill the gaps with the likes of Rayner or Davies-Uniacke and TT, or we pick up one (or both) of Kelly and Martin. The former will take us longer, and the worry would be that our current A-graders such as Taz and Higgo will be on the decline by the time they've fully developed. Hence why we're targeting Kelly and Martin so aggressively.

So yeah, I don't think we're as bad as people think, and the Adelaide game as well as the Geelong and both Bulldogs games show that we aren't far off. If we do get Kelly and/or Martin or maybe even a Zac Jones type, I could see us making finals next year and challenging for top 4 and a flag as early as 2019. If we can't make these trades happen, we go to the draft and do it the hard way.

Last edited:
We have the makings of a very good side, and bar the Richmond and St Kilda games I reckon the season has been significantly better than people round here think. We've been very competitive against a lot of good sides, and could easily be in the 8 if we'd managed to win tge games we should have, despite having a disfunctional and inconsistent midfield. So I don't think its panic stations, but there's no doubt the midfield needs a massive overhaul. Having a look at only the players I'm pretty sure have the ability to be in our side when we're next challenging, our team looks like this:

Williams - Tarrant - ????
Wright - ??????? - MacMillan (vc)
McDonald - Cunnington - Higgins
Wood - Brown - Ziebell (c)
Garner - Daw - Simpkin

Preuss - ??? - ???

Interchange: Atley, Hrovat, Jacobs, Dumont, Turner

So that looks pretty promising imo, but how to fill the gaps? We have a few options for each position.

With the back pocket, without adding to the list, we either play Mullet and have Wright play 3rd tall, or one of EVW/ Hibberd emerges and grabs the spot. I reckon this positions is Ed's long-term, and he's shown enough that we don't need to trade for that 3rd tall type. Trent McKenzie is one we've been linked to in that role, but I'd back EVW to be a better player than him long-term.

At CHB, Durdin and Nielson are the guys on the list who look most capable. Unless Hansen turns it around he'll be gone sooner rather than later, and with Thommo likely retired, one of those 2 will have to hold down a KP post. Alternatively, we could target someone like a Jake Lever, however what he would cost in terms of picks makes it a very risky target, and I'd be backing one or both of those 2 to take the next step.

The midfield spots are our clear weakness. From our current list, it is possible that they could be filled by the likes of Dumont, Jacobs, Mountford or Clarke, however while they've all shown good signs, its a long, long way from certain that even one of them will become the game-breaker we need. Ahern and Simpkin are probably the most talented young mids on pur list, and the most likely to become A graders, however they've both struggled with injury and will need a few years development before they can be genuine midfield options.

That leaves us with two choices: either we go to the draft and fill the gaps with the likes of Rayner or Davies-Uniacke and TT, or we pick up one (or both) of Kelly and Martin. The former will take us longer, and the worry would be that our current A-graders such as Taz and Higgo will be on the decline by the time they've fully developed. Hence why we're targeting Kelly and Martin so aggressively.

So yeah, I don't think we're as bad as people think, and the Adelaide game as well as the Geelong and both Bulldogs games show that we aren't far off. If we do get Kelly and/or Martin or maybe even a Zac Jones type, I could see us making finals next year and challenging for top 4 and a flag as early as 2019. If we can't make these trades happen, we go to the draft and do it the hard way.

Good post. Not sure about demoting Taz from VC though.....

we need to spend.

Offer to pay 100% of Goldstein's contract in exchange for a draft pick upgrade. Pay out some other contracted players who are on their last legs.

If our history is anything to go by, our bad seasons are followed by an immediate rise the following year.

1984: we finished 11th out of 12 with 5 wins, and finished 5th in 1985 with 13 wins in H&A season plus a finals win.

1992: we finished 12th out of 15 teams with 7 wins. Following year we finished 3rd at end of Home and Away.

2006: we finished 14th out of 16 with 7 wins, and followed that up with a 4th in 2007 with 14 wins (albeit a couple of finals beltings).

2009: finished 13th out of 16 on 7.5 wins, and missed the 8 on percentage in 2010.

The circumstances are different in each of those years, and no doubt the doom and gloom forecasts would have persisted in each of those poor years. Time will tell whether this group (plus whoever we draft/trade for) is good enough to turn it around, however we need to take a lot of positives about the team's competitiveness whilst we rebuild. Don't forget many of the young blokes who we are pinning hopes on have played less than 50 games - Turner, Daw, Garner, Wood, Dumont, Hrovat, Vickers-Willis, Preuss, Clarke, Mountford. Plus Brown and MacDonald have played less than 70. In all of them, we have seen something that gives hope.

Whilst I remain positive, it is interesting to reflect that in each of those bounce back year teams, champions of our club were involved - are there any players in the current group that compare? Let's home some emerge next year.

- Schimma, Grieg and Glendinning in 85, Carey;
- Schwass, Carey and Longmire in 1993;
- Archer, Grant, Simpson, Harvey in 2007;
- Harvey, Wells, Petrie in 2010.

One final point to note is that in every bounce back year, there was a change of Coach: Cable to Kennedy (84-85), Schimma to Pagan (92-93), Laidley to Scott (09-10). Only from 06-07 did we keep the Coach (Laidley). Despite the stat suggesting otherwise, like Laidley in 2007, I think Scott deserves the chance to see out the last year of his contract.

North desperately need a player to break lines( Martin) and a player who knows what to do with the ball when he gets it ( Kelly) . The current team is full of plodders and players who make poor decisions under pressure and those that have had far too many chances to produce the goods . There needs to be a big clean out of players at season's end and Scott's time is also up. There is not much apart from Tarrant and a few of the younger players to start with but the club is headed for some hard times and tough decisions must be made.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back