windsock

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2002
x
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
If we don't make the finals this year I reckon Denis must go. We could save a heap if he left. For his salary we could employ a whole new coaching panel. Get back a favourite son - like Don McDonald or Darren Crocker to be the main man with three assistants - a couple of young guys just out of the game like Johnny Blakey and Johnny Longmire, plus an older ex-coach like Stan Alves for example. Normy Dare, Greg Hutchison and Ken Sheldon have been able to do it, I don't see why Stan couldn't. I reckon Denis is on about $800,000. You could get a head coach and three assistants for less than that.
Apart from the money aspect, it would probably be time to get some fresh blood into the club anyway. I can't see Denis nurturing a young list like others might be able to. He's too critical and would destroy the confidence of some of the young guys.That's only if we don't have some sort of success this year!
What do you guys think?

Fair way to make an entrance!!

First post and the coach gets the chop!!

Pagan's attitude towards his coaching would be hard for some players to take. I get the impression that he either gives these players a rocket, or ships them out. I get the feeling Harris has been one of these, and has been given less game time because of it. Denis is the most Autocratic of all the coaches in the AFL, but if you are the best, why ask any other bastard their opinion:D :D ?

He coached the U19 roos to 9 odd GFs in a row, how can he not be good with the juniors?
More than anything Pagan instills a professional, passionate and "a winning" attitude throughout the whole club. Very few coaches have that quality.

They would be crazy to let him go.

I might start asking questions if he missed 3-4 finals series in a row, now way after just 2. Not with his record.

Originally posted by windsock
If we don't make the finals this year I reckon Denis must go.

First of all welcome... Dill...

lets begin by stating the obvious... I don't really care about just playing finals... I want us to win Premierships or play in Grand Finals... now if that means we spend a couple... even a few years down the lower part of the ladder... so be it... as long as we rebuild... and that is exactly where we are... at the moment... we may snag one like Hawthorn in 91... but we are definately rebuilding Dill... so the next few years are all about being competative and setting a new team up for the future... where we finish will look after itself...

We could save a heap if he left. For his salary we could employ a whole new coaching panel. I reckon Denis is on about $800,000. You could get a head coach and three assistants for less than that.

If you want to save some money... hit marketing leave the FU(KEN FOOTBALL DEPARTMENT alone...

Apart from the money aspect, it would probably be time to get some fresh blood into the club anyway. I can't see Denis nurturing a young list like others might be able to. He's too critical and would destroy the confidence of some of the young guys.That's only if we don't have some sort of success this year!
What do you guys think?

Like all those kids that he wrecked during his reign as under 19s coach...

see ya Dill...

Hey there Rooboy. Nice to meet ya. Why didn't those great U19 teams become great senior teams? I think Denis won one the first in 1983 - I could be wrong - but it took until 1993 to have a decent side, and until 1996 to win a flag. What happened in the meantime? Why didn't many of these great junior players go on to senior footballing glory? Did Denis hold them back in the thirds too long to boost his own record?
Let's be honest, when you have the greatest player ever to play the game in your team, you should be able to achieve something. and without him we would've been just another good honest side.

Maybe the great Juniors were just average, but had a great coach?

Okay windsock... I always wanted Pagan to coach the seniors and when Schimma got the job I was so disappointted... if Pagan was made coach when Schimma was I am sure we would have more cups in our cabinet... but alas we haven't...

BTW... I think Schimma was a great player for our club... don't get me wrong...

If we don't make the finals this year I reckon Denis must go. We could save a heap if he left. For his salary we could employ a whole new coaching panel. Get back a favourite son - like Don McDonald or Darren Crocker to be the main man with three assistants - a couple of young guys just out of the game like Johnny Blakey and Johnny Longmire, plus an older ex-coach like Stan Alves for example. Normy Dare, Greg Hutchison and Ken Sheldon have been able to do it, I don't see why Stan couldn't. I reckon Denis is on about $800,000. You could get a head coach and three assistants for less than that.
What do you guys think?

Yeah I bet the Bummers fans are spewing they kept Sheeds on after their 14th in 97..:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

*yawn* zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I can't see Denis nurturing a young list like others might be able to.

Windsock, gutsy first post mate, I'll give you that. Friggin ridiculous, but gutsy! The greatest under 19 coach ever. Also, much of our '96 premiership team came up through Denis in the thirds anyway. Not only did he nurture them, he then led them to the ultimate senior success.

Pagan has been almost as important as Carey I reckon. I'd hate to play for him myself, but I'm rapt that he coaches my club.

If the Kangaroos ever get rid of Pagan it would be the most ridiculous, idioic, moronic, short-sighted, decison the club would have ever made. Quite simply Denis has saved the Kangaroos. Had it not been for Pagan, you guys might currently be supporting the Brisbane Kanagroos.

Denis Pagan is the best coach in the AFL.

Gee, I thought at least we would get one game for the season under our belts before this topic came up.....

Dill....St. Kilda sounds like the club for you!;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not a fan of Denis on a personal level, and I think he makes some mistakes as a coach, but hey, I can't do better and to suggest Norm Dare - BAWAHAHAHAHAHA

Anyway, welcome.

P-ss Off.

hotham

There you go getting bitchy again McCartney 5!

Why don't you send us all what you'd like to hear and we can type it in as if we thought of it?

That would be ridiculous- we might lose Carey- so what the heck Get rid of Pagan at the end of the year if we dont make the finals.

Pagan is a bloody champion coach- and every $$ spent on him- is worth it.. dont want to end up like St Kilda or Melbourne do we?!

Go Roos

You were always going to get belted for this one Windsock, but I don't agree with you either. Pagan should have gone after season 2000. There aren't too many forward thinkers here, so don't expect to be inundated with rational feedback. ;)

pagan and "what used to be the king" are most marketable people at the club, why would we sell him up? he's worked in the past, i like his idea of having his kids "earn their stripes" theory, while it could be a bit harsh, those who come thru that process have turned out to be seriously good players...

while he may have a few things to learn about this evolving game i think he's going in the rite direction and we are in that rebuilding stage

Remove this Banner Ad

Back