blackdiamond

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 7, 2000
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
New Orleans Saints, Detroit Tigers
Who do you think received the best concessions between the Crows and the Power with the entry of both sides in 1991 and 1997 respectively?

Personally I believe the Powers concessions were much harder. Particularly when you think a player back in the Crows days could say Im going home to live in Adelaide and the opposition teams had no choice but to deal with Adelaide. Darren Jarman, Tony Hall and Greg Anderson are prime examples of this.

Now that the Power is in we don't have this luxury. A player can still say I would like to go home to Adelaide but the other clubs can now ask for more as they can deal with two clubs therefore pushing up the asking price. By pushing up the price it is more likely that our clubs will refuse to pay the asking price so making the players stay interstate because no deal could be struck between the clubs.

I think Ports concessions should have been much better mainly because of this.

Would love to hear what you think?

------------------
Port Adelaide Forever

Originally posted by Scott:
Who do you think received the best concessions between the Crows and the Power with the entry of both sides in 1991 and 1997 respectively?

Personally I believe the Powers concessions were much harder. Particularly when you think a player back in the Crows days could say Im going home to live in Adelaide and the opposition teams had no choice but to deal with Adelaide. Darren Jarman, Tony Hall and Greg Anderson are prime examples of this.

Now that the Power is in we don't have this luxury. A player can still say I would like to go home to Adelaide but the other clubs can now ask for more as they can deal with two clubs therefore pushing up the asking price. By pushing up the price it is more likely that our clubs will refuse to pay the asking price so making the players stay interstate because no deal could be struck between the clubs.

I think Ports concessions should have been much better mainly because of this.

Would love to hear what you think?

As a Crows fan, I agree with you. we are finding it much harder to get the SA guys back now (why we are missing out on them when we have a rookie lists is beyond me) as the Melbourne clubs and agents are coming up with tougher deals each year.

I think we got the better deal when we first formed. However we could still only pick up to 8 ex-pat SA players in 1991 and the Vic clubs had plenty of lead time to sign up their stars. It was still slim pickings between 1990 and 1992. I think Greg Anderson came home under this rule, but we had to trade to get Jarman (I cant recall what we had to do to get Hall but he did buggerall)

Jerome

The crows came into the AFL with a virtual state team, we came in with a future, and with vision.

------------------
Chris

(Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Claus)

Yes, we're heaps better than that other team. I don't care how long it takes to get a premiership, Asguardian, you're right, we've got a future and a vision. Thats the most important thing . Who cares that the Cows got two premierships in their first 10 years.

no question the crows got the better deal.

Even the fact that they could get uncrontracted players over 3 years was a boon.

Port had one year and therefore it was fairly easy for clubs to resign anyone who may be of interest before we came along.

The one advantage we did have was knowing we would be in 12 monthsin advance. I heard of a few (Wilson and Lade) come to mind, players who did not nominate for the draft knowing they would be picked up by Port inthe next year.

But overall....Crows by a mile.

ptw

Originally posted by Pessimistic:
In 1925 the Hawks, Roos and Doggies got no concessions whatsoever - hence it took decades to win a flag

Where you around in 1925 Pessimistic?. How do you know what the conditions of entry were. Plus back then it was a suburban comp and teams had zones to develop players in. So if it took those clubs a while to be successful its their fault. Today with the national comp the only way you can get players are through trades or the draft, so it's a completely different system. But if you want to go back to the zonning system, you will get no complaints from me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back