Prediction If we truly are 2 years behind Brisbane, then 2021 will be...

Are we truly 2 years behind Brisbane?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Bit of fun in the off season that we can revisit at some point in 2021. I've seen lots of people on BF draw similarities between us and the Lions of two years ago. Perhaps the most compelling evidence is how competitive we were for almost all of this season and how similar that was to Brisbane's 2018 season. For context, Brisbane finished 15th on the ladder with a percentage of 89.1% in 2018, lost 4 games by less than a goal in 2018 and jumped up to 2nd on the ladder in 2019. We finished 14th on the ladder this season with a percentage of 90.6% and lost/drew 3 games by less than a goal. So, finish the sentence:

If we truly are 2 years behind Brisbane, then 2021 will be...

Bit of fun in the off season that we can revisit at some point in 2021. I've seen lots of people on BF draw similarities between us and the Lions of two years ago. Perhaps the most compelling evidence is how competitive we were for almost all of this season and how similar that was to Brisbane's 2018 season. For context, Brisbane finished 15th on the ladder with a percentage of 89.1% in 2018, lost 4 games by less than a goal in 2018 and jumped up to 2nd on the ladder in 2019. We finished 14th on the ladder this season with a percentage of 90.6% and lost/drew 3 games by less than a goal. So, finish the sentence:

Another year to build and consolidate and maintain the climb up the ladder..........challenge accepted!

Yes, percentage, number of wins, close losses, positive style all similar.

But there are some significant differences between SUNS 2021 and Lions 2019.
1. Neale joined Lions. Major difference for Lions compared to 2018. Take him out and see what happens. Lyons also fit nicely.
2. Lions best 22 were one year older (25+) than SUNS are (24+).
3. Lions best 22 had game average 90+, SUNS have 60 games average.

I do expect improvement in 2021, not 2nd position just yet :)

Last edited:

Yes, percentage, number of wins, close losses, positive style all similar.

But there are some significant differences between SUNS 2021 and Lions 2019.
1. Neale joined Lions. Major difference for Lions compared to 2018. Take him out and see what happens. Lyons also fit nicely.
2. Lions best 22 were one year older (25+) than SUNS are (24+).
3. Lions best 22 had game average 90+, SUNS have 60 games average.

I do expect improvement in 2021, not 2nd position just yet :)
But we're not going to kick 2nd in 2021 out of bed for farting either. ;)

Back