If/when Fitz leaves the chair of the AFL Commission

Remove this Banner Ad

Wonder where this leaves WA footy, with the new stadium catering etc given to Stadium Australia etc and Fitzpatrick.

WA football bosses are fuming apparently.

In general WA footy has been self funding via Subiaco oval.

Wonder where this leaves WA footy, with the new stadium catering etc given to Stadium Australia etc and Fitzpatrick.

WA football bosses are fuming apparently.

In general WA footy has been self funding via Subiaco oval.

The Government was at great pains to say today that the profit sharing arrangement enabled the government to distribute funding to the WAFL at no significant decrease in overall funding.

The Premier also said that WA football would continue to be funded via a revenue stream generated from the stadium despite football not operating the venue.

"Out of this contract, to be finalised, there will be a profit sharing arrangement and a revenue flow for the state government," he said.

"Out of that we will be able to maintain funding for the WA football commission and local football. Obviously still some work to be done but a big step forward for the stadium."

Sometime in the last thirty years they should have learnt not to rely on one income stream. Guess they can always raise the royalties they charge the AFL clubs.

The Government was at great pains to say today that the profit sharing arrangement enabled the government to distribute funding to the WAFL at no significant decrease in overall funding.

Sometime in the last thirty years they should have learnt not to rely on one income stream. Guess they can always raise the royalties they charge the AFL clubs.

I understand things change, but the previous system has seen good local funding of the game, what pollies say can be twisted and turned by various governments at their will.

I would much prefer to be in charge of what i can earn ( Subi ) than at the beck and call of various agreements with a much higher power.

Whatsmore, Subi has provided many local family businesses a good living from football via cafes, pubs, eateries down to local residents selling car parking, the new stadium and the now changed footbridge to nowhere appears to provide just James Packer with a win

The closet local pub, cafe and eatery is at least a 15 to 20 minute walk from the new stadium, that Pub is the Carlton hotel which for all intents and purposes is a doss house and really not worth the effort of going.

I understand things change, but the previous system has seen good local funding of the game, what pollies say can be twisted and turned by various governments at their will.

I would much prefer to be in charge of what i can earn ( Subi ) than at the beck and call of various agreements with a much higher power.

Whatsmore, Subi has provided many local family businesses a good living from football via cafes, pubs, eateries down to local residents selling car parking, the new stadium and the now changed footbridge to nowhere appears to provide just James Packer with a win

The closet local pub, cafe and eatery is at least a 15 to 20 minute walk from the new stadium, that Pub is the Carlton hotel which for all intents and purposes is a doss house and really not worth the effort of going.

Everyone would rather be in charge of their own destiny, but for that to happen you need to be in charge of the funding as well. I liked the WAFLs set up, it worked well for them and everyone else.

That I am not qualified to coach an AFL team doesn't mean that my opinion that Damian Drum was clueless as a coach has no validity

Where did i say his comment was not valid ?, but now that you mention it, i reckon his comments have been less than valid, happy !.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sir Rod Eddington anyone ?.

Christ Church grammar boy (Perth), Rhodes Scholar, first XV111, Freo Dockers fan.

The AFL General Meeting on March 17 will receive two nominations with strong AFL Club experience to replace retiring Commissioners.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-02-17/newbold-trainor-to-join-afl-commission

The AFL Commission meeting on Monday accepted the recommendations of the Nominations Sub-Committee to nominate Andrew Newbold and Gabrielle Trainor to the AFL Commission to replace Chris Langford and Sam Mostyn.

The Nominations Committee was chaired by AFL Commission Chairman Mike Fitzpatrick and included AFL Commissioner Richard Goyder, along with the President of the Richmond Football Club, Peggy O’Neal and the Chairman of the Port Adelaide Football Club, David Koch.

Andrew Newbold has recently stepped down from serving as President of the Hawthorn Football Club, and has had a very successful commercial career as a lawyer, manager and entrepreneur. Andrew has a deep understanding of the AFL and its role in the Australian social and corporate arenas, and extensive experience in the corporate sector. Andrew is currently a Director of Bryson Funds Management PTY LTD, RealAs, and Sports Education Development Australia.

He was a Director of Hawthorn FC for 13 years and was appointed President in 2012. During his term as President, the club won three Premierships and played in four successive Toyota AFL Grand Finals, had four years of collective club profit and signed off on plans for a new home and development at Dingley.

Gabrielle Trainor is a former lawyer, journalist, public sector executive and consultant in public policy, government relations and issues management. She has more than 20 years’ experience as a non-executive director in entities such as in urban development, major projects, transport and infrastructure.

She is a director of two ANZ Banking Group subsidiary boards, of Infrastructure Australia, the Barangaroo Delivery Authority and Clarius Group. She chairs Barnardo’s Australia and the National Film and Sound Archive and has a number of other appointments including on the board of trustees of Western Sydney University and Business Events Sydney. She sits on the board of agenda-setting indigenous organisation Cape York Partnership and chairs the Aurora Education Foundation for indigenous students.

Gabrielle was appointed as an inaugural Director of the Greater Western Sydney Giants FC in 2011 and chaired the Giants’ Integrity Committee. She has lifelong experience in football, ranging from volunteering for the Willoughby Wildcats in the Sydney AFL juniors competition to sitting on the AFL Commission NSW/ACT, where she championed the movement to better integrate the Sydney Women’s AFL with the Commission.

Her grandfather, Frank, and father, Tony, were Presidents of North Melbourne for a total of 22 years.

Other AFL Commissioners with AFL club board experience include Mr Goyder (Fremantle), Jason Ball (Sydney) and Mike Fitzpatrick (Carlton).

Mr Newbold is the first former AFL Club President or Chairman to join the AFL Commission since Bob Hammond (Adelaide FC) in 2001.

I know this is about Fitzpatrick but I think an interesting game is being played about who is being groomed to take over from Gilligan as the next CEO. I wrote this last night on the Port board. - Tonight I saw a second story about women's football on the ABC since the start of the year, concentrating on what is happening in Victoria. In the one about 5 weeks ago they interviewed Simon Lethlean from the AFL and thought, what is the bloke who has done the AFL FIXture for the last 3 or 4 years doing in the story?? He was there again tonight in the story on 7.30 with Libby Gorr and I notice under his name it said - AFL GM of Game Development.

I thought **** he's been demoted. I looked up 5AA's sound cloud account as they interviewed Travis Auld the other night about the variable pricing. I knew he moved into the AFL from the GC at the end of the 2014 season. They introduced him as GM AFL Clubs and AFL Operations. I had never heard that title before so I looked at my 2015 and 2014 AFL Record Season Guide books and yep that's his title and the position was created for him. I have no idea what he does and who lost what responsibilities and duties as the 2015 book didn't say what he does. So I looked around a bit more and found this from the AFL website from early August last year.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-08-07/league-announces-executive-reshuffle
FORMER Gold Coast CEO Travis Auld will lead the construction of the 2017 fixture as part of an extensive re-shuffle of senior positions at AFL House announced on Friday. Auld, who joined the AFL executive 12 months ago as general manager of clubs and AFL operations, will take over the key broadcast operations and scheduling post from Simon Lethlean.

Lethlean, who was the AFL's fixturing chief for more than three-and-a-half years, has been moved to game development and will oversee the growth of community football. AFL CEO Gillon McLachlan said the changes, which will be effective from Monday, had been "a work in progress over the past several months" and part of the League's "critical need to review the community football structures".

The job Auld now has added to his original job, and Lethlean lost, was what Gilligan did for 6 or 7 years before he was officially appointed Deputy Chief Executive Officer and 2IC to Demetriou in 2012 after helping stitch up his 2nd 5 year TV deal in 2011. In the 2015 book there was no Deputy CEO position. So I guess Auld might be being groomed to Gilligan's deputy CEO.

Lethlean has obviously paid the price for a shitty fixture in 2014 for the Vic clubs and failing crowds in Melbourne and bugger all improvement in 2015.

The AFL General Meeting on March 17 will receive two nominations with strong AFL Club experience to replace retiring Commissioners.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-02-17/newbold-trainor-to-join-afl-commission

Gabrielle was appointed as an inaugural Director of the Greater Western Sydney Giants FC in 2011 and chaired the Giants’ Integrity Committee. She has lifelong experience in football, ranging from volunteering for the Willoughby Wildcats in the Sydney AFL juniors competition to sitting on the AFL Commission NSW/ACT, where she championed the movement to better integrate the Sydney Women’s AFL with the Commission.

The Giants have an integrity committee?
Who is on it?

Everyone would rather be in charge of their own destiny, but for that to happen you need to be in charge of the funding as well. I liked the WAFLs set up, it worked well for them and everyone else.

You talking about the development side of footy in WA or the 2nd tier comp funding (the WAFL)?

I know this is about Fitzpatrick but...

FORMER Gold Coast CEO Travis Auld will lead the construction of the 2017 fixture as part of an extensive re-shuffle of senior positions at AFL House announced on Friday. Auld, who joined the AFL executive 12 months ago as general manager of clubs and AFL operations, will take over the key broadcast operations and scheduling post from Simon Lethlean.

Lethlean, who was the AFL's fixturing chief for more than three-and-a-half years, has been moved to game development and will oversee the growth of community football. AFL CEO Gillon McLachlan said the changes, which will be effective from Monday, had been "a work in progress over the past several months" and part of the League's "critical need to review the community football structures".

The job Auld now has added to his original job, and Lethlean lost, was what Gilligan did for 6 or 7 years before he was officially appointed Deputy Chief Executive Officer and 2IC to Demetriou in 2012 after helping stitch up his 2nd 5 year TV deal in 2011. In the 2015 book there was no Deputy CEO position. So I guess Auld might be being groomed to Gilligan's deputy CEO.

Lethlean has obviously paid the price for a shitty fixture in 2014 for the Vic clubs and failing crowds in Melbourne and bugger all improvement in 2015.

Travis Auld :
I was underwhelmed by the variable pricing spiel run by Auld, as heard on Melbourne radio - very unconvincing.

I was surprised when he joined the AFL at a time when the Gold Coast needed stability, poor for the Gold Coast & I haven't seen anything to suggest Auld did a good job.

You talking about the development side of footy in WA or the 2nd tier comp funding (the WAFL)?

Im talking about the way they worked the funding. looked after both the AFL and WAFL side of things thanks to a good stadium arrangement and profit sharing agreement, and gave the AFL clubs board representation on the WAFC...that sort of thing. Contrast with the SANFL who milked everything to death and didnt give a damn what the SA AFL sides felt or said about it.

Im talking about the way they worked the funding. looked after both the AFL and WAFL side of things thanks to a good stadium arrangement and profit sharing agreement, and gave the AFL clubs board representation on the WAFC...that sort of thing. Contrast with the SANFL who milked everything to death and didnt give a damn what the SA AFL sides felt or said about it.

I'd like Docklands, when handed over, to fill a similar role in Vic...Although you'd probably need an actual 2nd tier comp first, and the AFL to take a step back from their control, neither of which is likely any time soon.

I'd like Docklands, when handed over, to fill a similar role in Vic...Although you'd probably need an actual 2nd tier comp first, and the AFL to take a step back from their control, neither of which is likely any time soon.

Surely the Vic 2nd tier will be a 1980s style reserves comp for the AFL (V) clubs ... AFL funded.

Surely the Vic 2nd tier will be a 1980s style reserves comp for the AFL (V) clubs ... AFL funded.

What is claimed to be the Vic second tier (VFL) is primarily a reserves comp (plus a few teams that actually care more about winning than development).

I'd like there to actually be a Vic second tier COMPETITION (As in a league where the teams are actually trying to compete).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back