If you are not happy with the Board and direction

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh yes.
Their incessant phone calls and emails wanting money from me this year has left a very bitter taste in my mouth.
I’ve shared these thoughts with a few posters I know personally all year long.
I got another one of those calls last week.

Electing to not get them seems to make no difference whatsoever

I’ve resorted to ignoring phone calls with the prefix ‘0352’ and marking their emails as spam.
I have no interest in providing the club with any added financial support under Scott.
Any relationship the Club projects publicly with its Members, is nothing more than a front

Start a petition to sack Scott.
A new president and CEO may be more important and give Scott the kick up the @$$ (and new senior assistants) he needs. I'm no Scott fan but he has some good attributes and I'd like to see him challenged. He's way too comfortable under Carter and Cook.

Sent from my XT1572 using Tapatalk

Admin is not the problem. They look after the business side of the club and seem to be doing ok. It’s the football side of the club that needs a massive kick up the arse.
Admin is the problem when they are there to give that kick up the arse but they prefer to stick their head in the sand.

Sent from my XT1572 using Tapatalk

Admin is not the problem. They look after the business side of the club and seem to be doing ok. It’s the football side of the club that needs a massive kick up the arse.
Yes but 'admin' and the Board employ the Coach and in any type of organization are ultimately responsible for the outcome in this case winning a premiership. On another thread, can't think which one, we talked about electing Board members. My memory is that last time there were only the same number of applicants-0eg existing members , as there were vacancies. The time before something similar and I seem to remember in recent times 'admin' sayi8ng that they couldn't advise members of an election because it cost too much to mail out to us.
So we have a complacent and comfortable situation at all three levels, Board, admin and coaching. No tensions to bring out the best or to change.
But on the bright side we do have new stands.

I’ve resorted to ignoring phone calls with the prefix ‘0352’ and marking their emails as spam.
I have no interest in providing the club with any added financial support under Scott.
Any relationship the Club projects publicly with its Members, is nothing more than a front
Mine have come from a Sydney number

If enough members got together with the same opinion and challenged them they would care.
Wasn't there an article about how boards don't care about the will of the members? Basically saying that if you have big $$$, then they'll care.

I'm sure it referenced Carlton, Richmond, and Hawthorn's board struggles.

im telling ya..

start your number with 0011..

you will never hear from them

Go Catters

....Has anyone in the media called for the coaching review of Chris Scott's position? The answer is no. Why? He has aligned himself with Gerard Whateley (Left Wind moral campaigner) and Mark Robinson on AFL360. These two individuals determine the fate of AFL coaches and players' careers on AFL360.
Gerard Whateley is a massive life-long supporter of the Geelong Footy Club, a brilliant writer and one of the most outstanding sports journalists in the country. I'm not sure what your "Left Wind moral campaigner" claim as got to do with a review of Chris Scott's coaching. Neither Whately nor Robinson have anything to do with the appointment of Chris Scott. Scott is currently a premiership coach with the best win/loss ratio of any coach in the AFL. He was tasked in 2010 to transition the team into a new team, retiring the old players and building a new team, all the while keeping the team competitive. A very difficult task. Yet he has done just that. There remain serious concerns over whether Scott can continue to build the team, whether his methods are the best, whether he is capable of instilling a better team spirit at the club and many other concerns, however his position is certainly not in jeopardy, unlike Nathan Buckley at the end of last year, or Damien Hardwick who just survived 2016. There are legitimate questions to be asked over the choice of Stanley, did the club doctor make a proper assessment? The choice of Parsons over Cunico? and any number of other concerns, (I for one would like to know how the f*K Tom Hawkins could miss a goal from 25 metres on a slight angle when we were 7 points down with 2 minutes to play-obviously Scott's fault) we are all bitter and upset over the pear-shaped ending our season is turning into, and like usual, blame is being thrown around.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am sorry that you feel that you were shafted.

But, do you not understand how a board structure works and who they are accountable?

Let me give you a hint - they are accountable to members. No one else.

You can have a whinge about the coach, the players, the performances. Go for your life. But if you aren’t a member your opinion about the board holds no weight.
Mate. I am a business governance consultant in real life so to answer your question yes I do. Any board who ignores non member supporters in any context is going out backwards.

Oh yes.
Their incessant phone calls and emails wanting money from me this year has left a very bitter taste in my mouth.
I’ve shared these thoughts with a few posters I know personally all year long.
I can guarantee you the business side of the club does not give a s**t. Why else would so many members not renew every year? They just chase more for more money

Gerard Whateley is a massive life-long supporter of the Geelong Footy Club, a brilliant writer and one of the most outstanding sports journalists in the country. I'm not sure what your "Left Wind moral campaigner" claim as got to do with a review of Chris Scott's coaching. Neither Whately nor Robinson have anything to do with the appointment of Chris Scott. Scott is currently a premiership coach with the best win/loss ratio of any coach in the AFL. He was tasked in 2010 to transition the team into a new team, retiring the old players and building a new team, all the while keeping the team competitive. A very difficult task. Yet he has done just that. There remain serious concerns over whether Scott can continue to build the team, whether his methods are the best, whether he is capable of instilling a better team spirit at the club and many other concerns, however his position is certainly not in jeopardy, unlike Nathan Buckley at the end of last year, or Damien Hardwick who just survived 2016. There are legitimate questions to be asked over the choice of Stanley, did the club doctor make a proper assessment? The choice of Parsons over Cunico? and any number of other concerns, (I for one would like to know how the f*K Tom Hawkins could miss a goal from 25 metres on a slight angle when we were 7 points down with 2 minutes to play-obviously Scott's fault) we are all bitter and upset over the pear-shaped ending our season is turning into, and like usual, blame is being thrown around.
Good post and I agree but my concerns are more than yesterday or this year

I would not call Gerard Whateley one of the most outstanding sport journalists in the country. Just remember, Hutchy has to watch his back. He backstabs people to get what he wants. He backstabbed Dan Longeran and the late Drew Morphett to gain the main cricket commentatory gig for the ABC back in late 2014.

I would not call Gerard Whateley one of the most outstanding sport journalists in the country.
You might not, most others, particularly in the media would. Twice winner of the Australian Football Media Association's Alf Brown Trophy, awarded to the most outstanding media performer, in 2015 and 2017
Just remember, Hutchy has to watch his back. He backstabs people to get what he wants. He backstabbed Dan Longeran and the late Drew Morphett to gain the main cricket commentatory gig for the ABC back in late 2014.
A low, personal but pathetic attempt to denigrate him. Slurs, name-calling and unsubstantiated innuendos will not beat the facts.

Members need to get a copy of the constitution to see how they can hold the Board to account. Members will be able to get a petition up, but there will likely be a number or % of members required for any action by the Board.

But even if there was only a few hundred or even 1000 members signing a petition, the Board would be very silly to ignore it. You could try to get elected but good luck with that.

I am no longer a member after a fall out with the regime a few years ago, but if you want something to change, you have to change something. Sure it's a difficult gig to run an AFL footy club, but we are drifting inexorably backwards and have been now for a few years.

This post is not a whinge or a hospital handpass, I'm just expressing the frustration many feel and laying out a suggestion as to what you might do about it.

The other thing we are dealing with of course is the same issue at AFL HO level. Closed shop, clear agenda (Dees anyone?), and baffling decision-making.
Allrighty! :eek:

Mate. I am a business governance consultant in real life so to answer your question yes I do. Any board who ignores non member supporters in any context is going out backwards.
I'd suggest that by definition you are a barracker rather than a supporter. While barrackers are, of course, entitled to express a view and be heard I'd be paying greater attention to the supporter base if I were a mover-n-shaker.

I recall Blight saying at one point that he told his PA during his various coaching stints to only forward to him communications that had a membership number on them. A tad extreme but I see where he's coming from.

As for the OP, the last thing we need is club infighting. While, in many respects, this year has been disappointing we have been in every game bar one.

I'd be surprised if there aren't major changes to the coaching and development areas during the off season. As I've posted earlier I'd like to see Mitchell come into the system even though I loathed him as a sniper when he played.

I'd love to have McCartney back in development but he left that area with us because he wanted a hands-on coaching role.

I think we tend to give former players a retirement home rather than looking at their worth as coaches. Bringing into the network well credentialed people from other clubs is a positive way to go.

To keep the conversation civil I will refrain from airing my views on business governance consultants.

How about a major sponsor who got ****** over by the club. Good enough for an opinion?

How were you shafted? Did the club not meet its obligations under the sponsorship? Did you not get the corporate package you paid for? Was the signage smaller than you were led to believe it was going to be? Did you not get to attend as much match day hospitality as you thought you paid for? Did two players show up to your corporate event instead of three? Did you get chicken instead of beef?

Reading between the lines (always dangerous around these parts), it appears that there may have been an assumption that sponsorship equated to your opinion counting for more than others - particularly ironic for a business governance consultant.

The opening post doesn’t present any solutions at all - sacking the board isn’t a solution if you don’t follow through with stronger, executable ideas by people appropriately qualified to manage that process. Until someone can offer a better, viable alternative, I’ll keep voting for the board’s re-election.

And I’ll keep buying the raffle tickets too. I pay for the top membership every year, I upgrade my seats at most games at extra cost, and for the amount of entertainment I get out of the GFC, I see the raffle tickets as a further donation towards its success - and even after all that, I still consider myself well ahead in the value stakes.

So whilst we can all be disappointed at the outcome of Saturday’s game, and particularly our tenuous ladder position going into the final two rounds, I’m not sure throwing the baby out with the bath water in a top-down approach is the answer.

I’m not suggesting everything’s perfect either, but think providing actual suggestions for improvement would be more constructive.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back