If you are not happy with the Board and direction

Remove this Banner Ad

You can sit on your arse and whinge, you can accept what is and do nothing or you can do something. That’s your options - over to you. It’s intersting when you actually reveal a bit here and you get smashed for:

Not being a member therefore you’re either not serious or your views don’t matter or both.

Being a xxxxx ffs. What on earth does it matter what job or experience you have? I certainly don’t give a rats what work people do though I prefer open minds.

I’ve seen this with others who are no longer here.

My OP was a solution borne of frustration at a team I have supported in many ways since 1964. And I’ve put my hand on my pocket not wanting much at all as it happens, believe it or not. That’s a lot more than many here and I am proud of this club, its cameraderie and it’s quirky fans.

Discuss at your leisure, but perhaps going personal when you have nfi of facts on the matter is a bit of a leap.

I think this is the first time in a many many years most of us Geelong fans seem to be on the same page about where the club and coach is at... Very interesting times.
I think that “most” is a massive, massive stretch.

I think you are hearing only the opinions that match your agenda.

You can sit on your arse and whinge, you can accept what is and do nothing or you can do something. That’s your options - over to you. It’s intersting when you actually reveal a bit here and you get smashed for:

Not being a member therefore you’re either not serious or your views don’t matter or both.

Being a xxxxx ffs. What on earth does it matter what job or experience you have? I certainly don’t give a rats what work people do though I prefer open minds.

My OP was a solution borne of frustration at a team I have supported in many ways since 1964. And I’ve put my hand on my pocket not wanting much at all as it happens, believe it or not. That’s a lot more than many here and I am proud of this club, its cameraderie and it’s quirky fans.

Discuss at your leisure, but perhaps going personal when you have nfi of facts on the matter is a bit of a leap.
No offence, but you specifically chose to lapse your membership, which means that the only option you have got is to have an empty whinge.

If you really wanted to do something about it you would have stayed a member and agitated for change.

If you don’t care about posters occupations why did you feel the need to tell everyone what yours was? No-one else on here feels the need to tell everyone what their job is. I honestly could not give a rats.

Please also explain what “solution” you have offered? It seems to me that the only “solution” you have offered is to tell other members what you would like them to do, after you opted out and aren’t willing to do anything yourself.

Not really - go read the Hawks post match thread. Majority on the same page - no idea what those Geelong supporters who aren't on Bigfooty think. Would love to hear your thoughts on where the club is at?

Saying you were f*ked over by the club and offering no detail whatsoever as to the circumstances, is only going to lead to speculation as to your motives or the seriousness of your claim. What else would you expect on an anonymous discussion site visited by pimply faced teenagers through to senile geriatrics and everything in between?

You say push the board and hold them accountable? Fine - then what is the next step once the board gives you their attention (or is thrown out)? Who should step in and what plans should they enact? I see none of these ‘solutions’ in your opening post at all.

We’re (mostly) all here because we love the club - it comes out in different ways - but we’re definitely all invested one way or another. So both your loyalty and desire for the club to reach premiership heights is recognised. I would love to hear your ideas here, but you’ve actually got to say them first.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not really - go read the Hawks post match thread. Majority on the same page - no idea what those Geelong supporters who aren't on Bigfooty think. Would love to hear your thoughts on where the club is at?
My thoughts on where the club is at:

Off field we are well run, and we have been well set up for future security and success as an organisation.

On field we are an immature side that is prone to inconsistency. When you are asking young and inexperienced players to play important roles this is going to happen. When we get rolling we can look good because the young guys have ability but can’t sustain it yet. This only adds to supporters frustration because they see what’s possible when everything is just right. I believe that if we get some continuity in the team next year with the young guys with another year under their belt we could be a very dangerous side. Or we might never get the consistency and continue to frustrate. Who knows? I do know that we have been put in a position to contend which is about all than you can ask for.

Re: the coaches, I am not 100% convinced, but I also believe that:
A) the coaches have not had close to the best team at their disposal this year so their performance is very hard to assess; and
B) who would be a better option to coach that would be available to us? It is all well and good to want change, but if the option is only a lottery ticket assistant coach from some other club then I would rather stick with Scott.

In summary, I am positive re: our future, but like all clubs we need a few things to fall right for us if we are going to be a proper contender.

Following on my previous post:

If you go to any match day thread when a team has just lost an important game there will be a number of posters who want to burn the place down. You could ask exactly the same audience their opinions after a win and they would be loving everything about the club.

The moral of the story: seeking reasoned opinions in a match day thread is never going to be successful.

Following on my previous post:

If you go to any match day thread when a team has just lost an important game there will be a number of posters who want to burn the place down. You could ask exactly the same audience their opinions after a win and they would be loving everything about the club.

The moral of the story: seeking reasoned opinions in a match day thread is never going to be successful.
I don't think its a single loss that has caused it - I think its the result of prolonged issues that have finally reached 'tipping' point. Before supporters weren't willing to make hard calls on where we were at and decisions because we were still winning games at home and top 8. Now things are getting 'real' at the business end of the season and reality is starting to set in which is causing more people to step back and have a longer look at what we are doing. I don't think many predicted us to be in the position we are today - our form was supposed to turn but it hasn't.

Re: the coaches, I am not 100% convinced, but I also believe that:
A) the coaches have not had close to the best team at their disposal this year so their performance is very hard to assess; and
B) who would be a better option to coach that would be available to us? It is all well and good to want change, but if the option is only a lottery ticket assistant coach from some other club then I would rather stick with Scott.

In summary, I am positive re: our future, but like all clubs we need a few things to fall right for us if we are going to be a proper contender.

If the coaches included any of our perennially injured players in their "best team" I'd be worried. You didn't need foresight to predict McCarthy and Cockatoo and Menzel and Scott Selwood and Gregson were going to miss games. It doesn't give them an excuse. It's the club's own fault for being stupidly optimistic with too many players.

Saying you were f*ked over by the club and offering no detail whatsoever as to the circumstances, is only going to lead to speculation as to your motives or the seriousness of your claim. What else would you expect on an anonymous discussion site visited by pimply faced teenagers through to senile geriatrics and everything in between?

You say push the board and hold them accountable? Fine - then what is the next step once the board gives you their attention (or is thrown out)? Who should step in and what plans should they enact? I see none of these ‘solutions’ in your opening post at all.

We’re (mostly) all here because we love the club - it comes out in different ways - but we’re definitely all invested one way or another. So both your loyalty and desire for the club to reach premiership heights is recognised. I would love to hear your ideas here, but you’ve actually got to say them first.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
My intention is to open discussion which it has done. Yes I am pissed off, and was not too well when I posted (always a bad idea).

My belief is the Board needs to be brought to account as it is too faceless, and from my experience too much of revolving doors of mates. I don't care who comes in as long as they have the cred, or if no-one does for that matter as long as they are accountable. But the fact still remains the Club has stagnated and is slipping backwards.

Cooky has been great, but is nearing 20 years at the helm. Scott has been a good coach but in my view not a great coach. He has been blessed by some guns who have a fierce desire to win. And has been plagued by injury. I will give him this, he has not been alone among AFL clubs. HI win/loss is exceptional but the same issues ans systems fail year in and out, and that is poor management as much as anything. Who knows Cooky etc may be reaming the coaches but you would not know it as things just stay the same.

In closing, I would love to be wrong but these are my thoughts, and until we see tangible changes we are slip slipping away.

After the season the club must come out and explain why we are playing kids that aren't ready instead of mature fringe players when we are supposedly in the premiership window.

We have a great opportunity in the next 2 years with players like Selwoods, Dangerfield, Hawkins, Ablett, Blicavs, Henderson, Menzel, Menegola, Duncan, Touhy, Stewart and Kelly in the prime of their career. Yet for some unfathomable reason we are also trying to rebuild on the run.

FFS just go all out for the premiership while we have amazing talent at the top end. When they retire we can do a full rebuild then.

Footy is all about premierships. When you have the opportunity to compete for one, go at it full on not half assed.

Last edited:
A caller on SEN earlier today summed up our situation perfectly. The coach and MC have completely failed by consistently playing raw young kids who haven’t shown anything over more mature senior players eg: playing Simpson, Zuthrie, O’Conner and Parsons over GHS, Thurlow, Murdoch etc. These players are hardly world beaters but the fact they have mature bodies and have played the games before is a MASSIVE upgrade over those youngsters.

We picked up Gary Ablett, traded in Tuohy, Hendo etc for a crack at a flag, yet continue to play VFL level physical and mental short people who are no good over AFL bodies. I’ve never been a big GHS fan, but how Sam Simpson and Mark O’Conner got a game over him more recently is a complete joke and failure on the club.

A caller on SEN earlier today summed up our situation perfectly. The coach and MC have completely failed by consistently playing raw young kids who haven’t shown anything over more mature senior players eg: playing Simpson, Zuthrie, O’Conner and Parsons over GHS, Thurlow, Murdoch etc. These players are hardly world beaters but the fact they have mature bodies and have played the games before is a MASSIVE upgrade over those youngsters.

We picked up Gary Ablett, traded in Tuohy, Hendo etc for a crack at a flag, yet continue to play VFL level physical and mental short people who are no good over AFL bodies. I’ve never been a big GHS fan, but how Sam Simpson and Mark O’Conner got a game over him more recently is a complete joke and failure on the club.
Yes I heard that too and had a chuckle. Could have been on here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hahahaha...try reading the Hawk board when they lose.....

Similar in many ways to the Geelong Board when we lose....

A few of us have definitely been tipped over to the dark side by a very frustrating season... I'm nearly at the point of calling for Scott's head.

I reckon if we spend a summer concentrating on tackling properly our stocks would rise considerably

Did that s**t the last two preseasons, bringing in the wrestling guy that's worked with several other clubs to improve our approach.

It's not the technique or ability to tackle, enough, we just have too many that aren't mentally committed enough to throw everything into the pursuit of body contact. So having the knowledge of how to properly tackle won't matter when that little bit of standoffishness releases the chance of any pressure going onto the opposition.

No offence, but you specifically chose to lapse your membership, which means that the only option you have got is to have an empty whinge.

If you really wanted to do something about it you would have stayed a member and agitated for change.

If you don’t care about posters occupations why did you feel the need to tell everyone what yours was? No-one else on here feels the need to tell everyone what their job is. I honestly could not give a rats.

Please also explain what “solution” you have offered? It seems to me that the only “solution” you have offered is to tell other members what you would like them to do, after you opted out and aren’t willing to do anything yourself.
That's crap. I could walk away altogether but I choose to defend the club and look for solutions. The contention that you don't matter if you are not a member would cancel out most of BF posters. And it is not reality. The fact is there are multiple times more supporters than members. Would you say they don't matter? A membership is a mutual offering in which I no longer saw the value coming in my direction.

I had a choice and I made it based on my values and view of the world. I'm sorry if you don't agree, but I my opinion is not diminished because I choose not to be a member anymore.

A few of us have definitely been tipped over to the dark side by a very frustrating season... I'm nearly at the point of calling for Scott's head.

Did that s**t the last two preseasons, bringing in the wrestling guy that's worked with several other clubs to improve our approach.

It's not the technique or ability to tackle, enough, we just have too many that aren't mentally committed enough to throw everything into the pursuit of body contact. So having the knowledge of how to properly tackle won't matter when that little bit of standoffishness releases the chance of any pressure going onto the opposition.
Wasn't aware of the wrestling guy

Just saw the promo for footy classified. Apparently Chris Scott is going to tell us all what he stands for.

Bruise free, zone off football would be my first guess

Bloody hell, don't you know it's easier to burn down the grandstand than it is to provide actual suggestions for improvement.
I don't want to burn the place down, far from it. I want change because we are slipping back into sleepy hollow and the handbagger brigade again I happen to think we have a list that can go a long way, it is simply not near it at the moment.

I am generally very positive and anti the normal flogs on here like [fill in the gap] but I have seen enough to call for change. I see complacency and hubris all over the situation at the moment.

I don't want to burn the place down, far from it. I want change because we are slipping back into sleepy hollow and the handbagger brigade again I happen to think we have a list that can go a long way, it is simply not near it at the moment.

I am generally very positive and anti the normal flogs on here like [fill in the gap] but I have seen enough to call for change. I see complacency and hubris all over the situation at the moment.

Tend to agree...thought I'm prepared to wait till seasons end. There is still a lot of football to play.....

If Geelong fail to make the finals, or fail to make any impact if they do make it, then there needs to be a good hard look at where we are at and the performance of the football department.

There also needs to be a review of the list which is in my opinion is reasonable, but too shallow to be premiership threats.

I would be very happy to be proved wrong, and Geelong to do a Bulldogs and win it from the lower end of the 8.....sadly a highly unlikely scenario.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back