If you are not happy with the Board and direction

Remove this Banner Ad

Can tell you're not a business person. If run properly no organization would tell anyone to sod off even if they were proposing not to be members, they would do what the GFC does and that is put their names in a blackbook and call them every single year to entice them to become members.
You are confused about the roles of management and board.

It is not the role of a board to manage a business or club.

Members need to get a copy of the constitution to see how they can hold the Board to account. Members will be able to get a petition up, but there will likely be a number or % of members required for any action by the Board.

But even if there was only a few hundred or even 1000 members signing a petition, the Board would be very silly to ignore it. You could try to get elected but good luck with that.

I am no longer a member after a fall out with the regime a few years ago, but if you want something to change, you have to change something. Sure it's a difficult gig to run an AFL footy club, but we are drifting inexorably backwards and have been now for a few years.

This post is not a whinge or a hospital handpass, I'm just expressing the frustration many feel and laying out a suggestion as to what you might do about it.

The other thing we are dealing with of course is the same issue at AFL HO level. Closed shop, clear agenda (Dees anyone?), and baffling decision-making.

I’ve read through this post. Without letting on who you are and what you do, can you give some specifics of your dealings and misfortunes with the GFC?

It is if it leads to change
What it will do is cause the club enormous financial hardship because not only is a strong membership the financial life blood of a club it's the basis on which sponsorships are sold. There are much better ways to make change. Becoming a member and participating at AGM's and voting for directors is an obvious one. Now there's a thought.

Last edited:
What it will do is cause the club enormous financial hardship because not only is a strong membership the financial life blood of a club it's the basis on which sponsorships are sold. There are much ways to make change. Becoming a member and participating at AGM's and voting for directors is an obvious one. Now there's a thought.
Why would I give the club money when it treats it's own supporters so poorly?? :$:$

Why would I give the club money when it treats it's own supporters so poorly?? :$:$
A gross generalisation. I've been a member for yonks and I've never been treated poorly. Nor do I know anyone first-hand who has.

I gave you reasons why it's counterproductive not to be a member if that hasn't sunk in then remain a barracker and continue to moan on public forums without doing anything constructive to help.

You could always head off to another club and not support them and whinge there.

The only confused one here is you believing that anyone at the club from board member down to sh!t kicker would actually tell a non member to sod off.

The only confused one here is you believing that anyone at the club from board member down to sh!t kicker would actually tell a non member to sod off.
Oh enlightened one, as I am confused please explain to me the difference between the role of a board and the role of club management.

Here’s a hint: The role of club management is hidden in the word “management”.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What it will do is cause the club enormous financial hardship because not only is a strong membership the financial life blood of a club it's the basis on which sponsorships are sold. There are much ways to make change. Becoming a member and participating at AGM's and voting for directors is an obvious one. Now there's a thought.
But we don't vote for the Directors because over recent years there have been numerous reasons why there isn't a contest. And if anyone has ever been to an AGM it is hardly a members forum. Perfunctory meeting after which the Directors leave-usually quickly.

Well there is evidence for example most of the supporter groups have been closed down. Canberra remains and is visited, or was, by club management. But then it is a trip to Canberra more interesting than to Gippsland.

Fookme some people are ignorant. On one hand you say the board would listen.

You are confirming my point.

The board would listen because you were proposing to be members.

If you weren’t proposing to be members the board would tell you to sod off, and rightly so.

Now all of a sudden you're trying to say the board wouldn't get involved and you want me to enlighten you.

Oh enlightened one, as I am confused please explain to me the difference between the role of a board and the role of club management.

Here’s a hint: The role of club management is hidden in the word “management”.

Fookme some people are ignorant. On one hand you say the board would listen.

Now all of a sudden you're trying to say the board wouldn't get involved and you want me to enlighten you.
I need to let this go. I am out of my depth here in regard the level of stupidity required to continue this conversation.

It must be because I am apparently not a “business person”.

I need to let this go. I am out of my depth here in regard the level of stupidity required to continue this conversation.

It must be because I am apparently not a “business person”.

Serves you right for pushing in on a circle jerk.

But we don't vote for the Directors because over recent years there have been numerous reasons why there isn't a contest. And if anyone has ever been to an AGM it is hardly a members forum. Perfunctory meeting after which the Directors leave-usually quickly.
I agree with you that our AGMs are uninspiring and that's largely because of the lack of interest and activism. I've also at times go to company AGMs and those that get results are those where the turnout is good and there are activists. I don't mean activist in a pejorative way, just people asking questions and putting forward suggestions.

One thing is certain and that is by sitting on the outside you're much less likely to have any impact and if you want the club to become moribund and consequently less successful on and off the field then not supporting them will pretty much ensure that.

As I said earlier

Remove this Banner Ad

Back