Mappa

Club Legend
Feb 27, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
West Bromwich Albion
As the ad on the TV says "Do you remember when you did something for the first time ?". Well clock 17th June down for me as one of those times. The day (night) when i was truly embarrassed with, and for the HFC. It is the worst performance I have EVER seen from a team in Brown and Gold ( and i even played for Kew in some bad ones) in my 30 years of being a member.

What can we do though ? I am just going to laugh it off, throw my arms in the air and keep on going. It's really not life and death is it. I actually watched the whole thing, right to the end. It was one of those car crash situations, where you know you shouldn't, but you cant help looking !

As for the players. Boyle was good early and showed some Barker-esque hands, Sammy was good as always, but not in clearances this week, I have totally changed my opinion of Tim Clarke and I'll get shot for saying that i thought even Dicko presented well and was okay in parts. As for the bad, Joel Smith was atrocious. The way he jumped past a pack to spoil instead of into it would make the likes of Collins, Mew and co spew. He has to be dropped. As for the rest, woeful.

For Port,, they are a bunch of arrogant ********. Pickett is a dirt sniper and i can't wait for the day Williams loses a GF by one point after the siren.

They really rubbed your face in it with no mercy. You just got them on their best game and fielding their best team of the year. Unfortunately you guys didn't come to play.

I think you have to look at how well you're being coached and the game plan...atm it stinks.

another Tiger here. As hard as it sounds, I reckon it just has to be tolerated with a view to maximising the benefits from the period where you're not flag/ Top 6 contenders. Saints got pumped regularly in 99 etc... Bloody hard though, isn't it. I'm still looking back at KB's Tiger Cubs that all should have naturally developed into superstars just because they were young.

Sounds like there was a huge lack of commitment though, which is probably a greater concern than the scoreboard.

It will change, surely.

Mappa, I agree with everything you have written. I'm really hurting this morning ... my weekend is stuffed ... well even for the next fortnight until we play again.

Yes Smithy's football nous seems to have left him. He is no longer up to AFL standard. What annoys me the most is he is VC and it is from our leaders I expect from them to teach and inspire the youngsters ... it is almost as if it is the other way around.

What can I do today to take my mind of the nightmare I went through last night .... keep in mind guys and gals from the south we here in the north get Ch9's delayed telecast at 11:30 pm - 2 am (with so many plurry ads), so you can imagine it really was a nightmare.

And talking about Ch9, its commentators are nearly as arrogant as Port players (with the exception of Dennis, the only pro amongst them).

See i dont agree with the Smith bashing. I thought he was far from our worst last night.
He played on Mahiney and beat him, and he didnt actually run sideways much at all, thats a positive...

Mappa said:
As the ad on the TV says "Do you remember when you did something for the first time ?". Well clock 17th June down for me as one of those times. The day (night) when i was truly embarrassed with, and for the HFC. It is the worst performance I have EVER seen from a team in Brown and Gold ( and i even played for Kew in some bad ones) in my 30 years of being a member.

What can we do though ? I am just going to laugh it off, throw my arms in the air and keep on going. It's really not life and death is it. I actually watched the whole thing, right to the end. It was one of those car crash situations, where you know you shouldn't, but you cant help looking !

As for the players. Boyle was good early and showed some Barker-esque hands, Sammy was good as always, but not in clearances this week, I have totally changed my opinion of Tim Clarke and I'll get shot for saying that i thought even Dicko presented well and was okay in parts. As for the bad, Joel Smith was atrocious. The way he jumped past a pack to spoil instead of into it would make the likes of Collins, Mew and co spew. He has to be dropped. As for the rest, woeful.

For Port,, they are a bunch of arrogant ********. Pickett is a dirt sniper and i can't wait for the day Williams loses a GF by one point after the siren.

for what its worth..... we know exactley how you are feeling. 4 weeks ago we coped the exact same thrashing, and I had to sit there though it all. And it hurts it really does.

for what its worth.......i think the hawks have some great young kids. You need a big strong forward to help williams out. And with a couple of season under there belts your young lads will shine!

for what its worth.......I dont know how or why you say we are arrogant....port have been critized by not only the media and our supporters for "taking the foot of the pedal" to many times. They put pen to paper last night, and foot to ball and turned that around. Good teams will do that, and hopefully the hawks will learn from it. You came up against our best team we have been able to field for 2005, and as much as I expected us to win, i didnt expect that result. I feel for Alistar and Dimmar, those two know our boys better than any one, and I thought maybe it would be a close one.

You just have to do what port did and put it behind you. You have had some great wins this year........against Freo over here was brilliant, so your not by any means not capable and it will come. We are back, but we are still not BACK and there is still a lot of work to do.

Terry Tan said:
They really rubbed your face in it with no mercy. You just got them on their best game and fielding their best team of the year. Unfortunately you guys didn't come to play.

I think you have to look at how well you're being coached and the game plan...atm it stinks.
game plan and coaching is alright as spida said today no excuted right unfortunately

Mappa said:

How are we arrogant? How would you react after winning by 117 points? Idiot. Pickett didn't do a thing wrong last night. Because you are embarrased at the result, and can't have a dig at our game, you have a whinge about a player. It's really pathetic.

PortProudWA said:
for what its worth..... we know exactley how you are feeling.

for what its worth.......i think the hawks have some great young kids.

for what its worth.......I dont know how or why you say we are arrogant

On point one, I doubt if Port fans would have the slightest idea how we are feeling. You won the flag last season, and looking a chance again for this year's flag. We've been crap for years, and will be for years to come, so unless Port spend about 15 years in the toilet you really have no idea how we are feeling.

One point two, our kids are no better or worse than any other club. The reason we focus on the youth at Hawthorn is because a number of our more experienced players let us down week after week.

On point three, I was at Football Park last night. Your players may not be arrogant, but your supporters certainly are. I was made to feel very unwelcome and won't be going back there.

Adelaide Hawk said:
On point one, I doubt if Port fans would have the slightest idea how we are feeling. You won the flag last season, and looking a chance again for this year's flag. We've been crap for years, and will be for years to come, so unless Port spend about 15 years in the toilet you really have no idea how we are feeling.

One point two, our kids are no better or worse than any other club. The reason we focus on the youth at Hawthorn is because a number of our more experienced players let us down week after week.

On point three, I was at Football Park last night. Your players may not be arrogant, but your supporters certainly are. I was made to feel very unwelcome and won't be going back there.

I 2nd this. Doesn't worry me about the players being arrogant, but their supporters were a different breed! The abuse we copped was filthy and just plain wrong at times! And some of this was coming from women and 10 year old kids! They were also very fickle. When we had that mini run in the 2nd qtr you couldn't here them at all. The "Power-O-Metre" wasn't helping at all either!

Lastly, what's with them booing Harry, he is one of them! My mate who is a Port supporter said they loved him at the Magpies.

Adelaide Hawk said:

1. WE do know.....winning the flag only made it worse for us to cope a thumping like that. To go from Premiers to copin a 117 point loss with 8 months was bloody hard.

2. Its now up to your leaders to lead by example and if they lead, the young ones will follow.

3. And if you had of thrashed us by 117 points you wouldnt have stuck it up us. If you had beaten us at all......what you wouldnt have loved to stick it up the port supporters there last night. Try walking out of 40,000 egirls supporters after a 117 point lose. They made us all feel unwelcome.....but stuff them if they think that I wont show up there for our next match at subi. I will go to every game my club plays at subi win, lose or draw. Maybe that is the difference between us supporters.....they can say what they like to us, but no matter what we will stick by the team and we will always be there to support them ...........no matter who the hell they play, who we have to face walking out the gate!!!

PortProudWA said:
1. WE do know.....winning the flag only made it worse for us to cope a thumping like that. To go from Premiers to copin a 117 point loss with 8 months was bloody hard.

2. Its now up to your leaders to lead by example and if they lead, the young ones will follow.

3. And if you had of thrashed us by 117 points you wouldnt have stuck it up us. If you had beaten us at all......what you wouldnt have loved to stick it up the port supporters there last night. Try walking out of 40,000 egirls supporters after a 117 point lose. They made us all feel unwelcome.....but stuff them if they think that I wont show up there for our next match at subi. I will go to every game my club plays at subi win, lose or draw. Maybe that is the difference between us supporters.....they can say what they like to us, but no matter what we will stick by the team and we will always be there to support them ...........no matter who the hell they play, who we have to face walking out the gate!!!

Oh .. so winning a flag actually makes things WORSE? :confused:
Then we should be eternally greatful to be 15th and fighting off the wooden spoon, then everything is just wonderful. :rolleyes:

And it's incredible .. you don't know me at all, and yet you know I would have stuck it up you had we won by 117 points. Awfully presumptuous don't you think? FYI, I am a very good winner, I leave opposition supporters well alone because I think it's PATHETIC to get stuck into people AFTER a win. It's like a bowler sending a batsman off in cricket after dismissing him. Have a go before a game, it shows a little bit of guts. Afterwards is cowardice.

And talking about Ch9, its commentators are nearly as arrogant as Port players (with the exception of Dennis, the only pro amongst them).

Agreed. Looked over some of my old 2000 tapes a couple of weeks ago. Funny think was, after been told off by the AFL and surounded by two professional comentators, Dermie actually wasn't that bad...

But you should hear either him or eddie comentating essendon these days... :mad:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What did Pickett do wrong ? Try the gutless shirtfront attempt on Mitchell, followed up by the elbow when he missed.

Never puts his head over the ball when it's his turn

Mappa said:
What did Pickett do wrong ? Try the gutless shirtfront attempt on Mitchell, followed up by the elbow when he missed.

Never puts his head over the ball when it's his turn

Gutless? You idiot. He was going for a bump, but realised he could not exectute it properly/legally, so backed out.

Adelaide Hawk said:
Oh .. so winning a flag actually makes things WORSE? :confused:
Then we should be eternally greatful to be 15th and fighting off the wooden spoon, then everything is just wonderful. :rolleyes:

And it's incredible .. you don't know me at all, and yet you know I would have stuck it up you had we won by 117 points. Awfully presumptuous don't you think? FYI, I am a very good winner, I leave opposition supporters well alone because I think it's PATHETIC to get stuck into people AFTER a win. It's like a bowler sending a batsman off in cricket after dismissing him. Have a go before a game, it shows a little bit of guts. Afterwards is cowardice.
Lay off PortProudWA he hasnt said anything wrong.

Hawka Deano said:
I 2nd this. Doesn't worry me about the players being arrogant, but their supporters were a different breed! The abuse we copped was filthy and just plain wrong at times! And some of this was coming from women and 10 year old kids! They were also very fickle. When we had that mini run in the 2nd qtr you couldn't here them at all. The "Power-O-Metre" wasn't helping at all either!

Lastly, what's with them booing Harry, he is one of them! My mate who is a Port supporter said they loved him at the Magpies.

I really have to agree with what has been said here, a small minority of the power supporters that were at the game obviously had way too much alcohol to drink and after the game it was just about on between some of my mates and a group of 5-8 that were aged around 20-35 year old supporters who were abusing women, kids in fact everyone who walked past them.

It was ok at first with they said "Hawthorn played like ********" or whatever but when they started abusing young women and kids and carried on like 12 year old bullies that's when my mates stepped up and told them to pull their heads in or we would be more than happy to take them on.

Also as far as the arrogant calls are concerned, well if you play for port and your opponent makes a stupid mistake or pulls out of a contest, if the port player doesn't let them know all about it, they are likely to be dragged it's called sledging and is used in every sport in the world to try and keep your opponent off guard.

Of course our supporters wouldn't cope any sort of abuse from any team supporter's when we play in Victoria?

I'm all for a bit of verbal banter between supporters as long as it doesn't turn ugly and you get some idiot/idiots trying to start fights, but unforunately their will always be that small minority that try to spoil the game for everyone by doing that.

Mappa said:

Interesting you titled this thread, "if you can't laugh, what can you do"
I have this feeling you really havn't got a big smile on you face afterall! :)

Once again Port people showing their arrogance.

First you presume that you know how Hawthorn people would act if we had have won like that, which you were wrong about.

Secondly you presume that I can't laugh at at a defeat like that, which I can, oops, gee, wrong again. I am not a fool who treats a loss like a funeral like most Magpie people do (in both states)

Thirdly, I get called an "idiot" ! Sorry for stating the obvious, but Pickett IS a sniper. Go back through his career and compare the amount of times he kicks off the ground, instead of putting his own head over the ball when there is a contest looming. Go back over his career and see how many times he hangs off, waits for the opposition player to go in hard then irons them out. That's not tough, that's gutless. As for "backing out" when the bump wasn't on, who backs out with an elbow up ? Disagree if you want, but just remember that Robert Walls thinks the same way about Pickett as you, and if there was a bigger tool in AFL I haven't seen or heard one. Maybe you are in fact the idiot !

pickett is a dirty player and people who think is he tough and courageous are full of crap! he gets easy goals and really isnt much of a player.

you always see other players with their head over the ball and pickett not even lookin at the ball he just goes in to knock down the man, cos he is a coward. he thinks his so strong and tough is rele is like port adelaide are arrogant pricks. pickett...courageous....tough.....you have to be joking me.....the toughest and most courageous players are the ones who go for the ball and have their head over it. not ppl who take cheap shots.
heres a perfect example...leigh colbert....tough and courageous....for all those ppl who think pickett is that....u gota be dreaming!

dont forget tredea....im glad he didnt get the captaincy and now u start to see why. he is an arrogant person and his celebrations show that. his not a man to lead a club and thats why a respected modest player like primus is. but i guess tredea just shows us what port ppl are like...doesnt it?! ;)

Good to see that most of you arn't trying to deflect your sides insipid performance by concentrating on opposition players performances! :confused:

binxy24 said:
Maybe, but that's football.

If that's what you think football is, then you've got a pretty skewed view of the game. Watch the way Sam Mitchell, Scott West and Michael Voss play, that's football.

As for deflecting attention Jumbo, try reading the rest of the posts on the Hawthorn forum. We give our fair share to our team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back