If you could change an AFL team's nickname

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 15, 2012
East Coast
AFL Club
West Coast
Who's would you change and what would you rename them as?

I would change Carlton's nickname. "Blue" is extremely ambiguous, seriously what is it even meant to represent? the colour? depression? blue collar people?

The club's marketing seem to interpret it as some sort of superhero gimp
SBMSM12%20Carlton.jpg

Another i would change is the "Power". Again it's another ambiguous, meaningless name and it doesn't even have any history attached to it.

Preferably i would change both nicknames into animal based ones to be consistent with the rest of the league, or at least ones which actually represent something (like The "Kings" or "Wizards" for example).

I never quite understood 'Crows'. I know it comes from Croweaters - but surely that was a derogatory term indicating that SA folk were so poor they had to eat crows. It's a standard insult. I suppose they chose it because they wanted to get the whole State as supporters.

I would have thought Sharks would be perfect. (And before people say the NRL have Sharks, they also have Tigers, Eagles, Giants and Bulldogs).

Power annoys me.

But obviously Blue does not. Our guernsey is blue. We're simple people and we like to keep things simple. There's no blue animals out there that would fit. Blue works.

But of every name in the AFL I wish I could force the Bulldogs to drop 'Western' and go back to their real name. What a stupid bland dumb decision. Name me one fan who would think "Footscray Bulldogs, I can't support them" and then think "Western Bulldogs, OMG that is so awesome please take my money". Look at big Victorian teams that have managed to grow broad support with single suburb names. Nobody holds the suburb against them, people like the history. Good old Western is still one of the smallest clubs, the name change was completely pointless.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But of every name in the AFL I wish I could force the Bulldogs to drop 'Western' and go back to their real name. What a stupid bland dumb decision. Name me one fan who would think "Footscray Bulldogs, I can't support them" and then think "Western Bulldogs, OMG that is so awesome please take my money". Look at big Victorian teams that have managed to grow broad support with single suburb names. Nobody holds the suburb against them, people like the history. Good old Western is still one of the smallest clubs, the name change was completely pointless.

As a Sydneysider, I chose the Bulldogs as my team partly because of the "Western". The name "Footscray" represents nothing but some weird sounding Melbourne suburb i hadn't heard of. But a club that represents the Western Suburbs means something to me.

So there's one.

Brisbane Bears - i miss the Bears nickname despite the the inaccurate connection with Aussie Koalas, although there is nothing wrong with "Lions" either
Carlton Royals - something more tangible than "Blues", a nod to mother country royalty
Essendon Jets - I don't feel too strongly against "Bombers", but I know it can be taken out of context in a negative manner by the PC crowd
Fremantle Sharks - nod to the WAFL side, more intimidating than "Dockers", no metaphoric stigma of an anchor weighing down the club
Gold Coast Giants - embrace the letter 'G'
West Sydney Wolves - embrace the letter 'W'
Melbourne Devils - "Devils" seems more commonly used than "Demons"
Port Adelaide Thunder - not much better than "Power" but at least its more specific, can play Thunderstruck by AC/DC before games
Sydney Bloods - historically accurate and sounds way more bad ass than "Swans"

Last edited:
Power annoys me.

But obviously Blue does not. Our guernsey is blue. We're simple people and we like to keep things simple. There's no blue animals out there that would fit. Blue works.

The Carlton Blue Rings. They poison everything they touch. ;)

blue-ringed-octopus.jpg

As a Sydneysider, I chose the Bulldogs as my team partly because of the "Western". The name "Footscray" represents nothing but some weird sounding Melbourne suburb i hadn't heard of. But a club that represents the Western Suburbs means something to me.

So there's one.

Well, I know Port used to wear magenta and used to have marine-related nicknames, such as the cockledivers, so how about the Seamen?

It's something tangible, unlike Power, and has historical relevance. It's got so much upside and I can't possibly see any negatives at all with this.

25u1non.png

Power is beyond lame, off the top of my head I can't think of anything else they could use though.

Dockers is also pretty ordinary, and it doesn't even make much sense as it's actually an eastern states term for a dockworker, they are wharfies over here. If I had my way we would drop it and just go by Freo.

Well, I know Port used to wear magenta and used to have marine-related nicknames, such as the cockledivers, so how about the Seamen?

It's something tangible, unlike Power, and has historical relevance. It's got so much upside and I can't possibly see any negatives at all with this.

25u1non.png
Sounds like a load to me.

25u1non.png
The forums were littered with this last year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back