If you could draft any player from history?

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Simple question but I actually think surprisingly difficult.

This is not a "who do you think is the best player of all time" question. This is a "take any player from history and be able to draft them at 18 years old to your club for the 2023 season, who do you pick" question and I think it is different in some important ways as it requires more consideration in terms of how said player would handle the modern game compared to what the game was when they themselves played.

So for instance a popular answer could be Tony Lockett, but at 191cm and an almost non-existent tank would he be as successful in 2023 and beyond as he was in the 80's and 90's.

What about Simon Madden, the greatest ruckman of all time, he would be a good choice, but at 198cm he would definitely be on the shorter side for ruckmen of the modern game, would that hurt his chances?

Perhaps Wayne Carey, great player, but again a bit on the short side and knowing what we know would you want his personality at your club, possibly de-stablising the playing group?

What about Gary Ablett Snr? Athletic, can do freakish things and kicks a lot of goals but is only 185cm, which may have been fine a few decades ago but how many 185cm or lower Colemen medal winners have there been in the last 20 years. Would he be able to bring what made him great to the modern game as well?

What about Stephen Silvagni? Great player but again a bit undersided for a key defender in the modern game at 191cm and also what made him great are things that key defenders are not allowed to do anymore, so would that make him less influential?

So you have free choice to draft any player from history as an 18 year old into your team for the 2023 season? Who do you pick and why?

Also mods can you please not move this to the draft board as this is not a genuine draft discussion given this can't happen, but rather a best player of all time with a twist discussion.

Last edited:
If we are drafting for the 2023 season, then most 18 year olds won't have an impact.

If it is for 2023 and beyond, I'd draft an 18 year old Chris Judd.

If we are drafting for the 2023 season, then most 18 year olds won't have an impact.

If it is for 2023 and beyond, I'd draft an 18 year old Chris Judd.

Yes the general idea is that they likely would not have a massive impact in their first few seasons like most draftees but you would likely have them for most of their career so they would get better over time.

Simple question but I actually think surprisingly difficult.

This is not a "who do you think is the best player of all time" question. This is a "take any player from history and be able to draft them at 18 years old to your club for the 2023 season, who do you pick" question and I think it is different in some important ways as it requires more consideration in terms of how said player would handle the modern game compared to what the game was when they themselves played.

So for instance a popular answer could be Tony Lockett, but at 191cm and an almost non-existent tank would he be as successful in 2023 and beyond as he was in the 80's and 90's.

What about Simon Madden, the greatest ruckman of all time, he would be a good choice, but at 198cm he would definitely be on the shorter side for ruckmen of the modern game, would that hurt his chances?

Perhaps Wayne Carey, great player, but again a bit on the short side and knowing what we know would you want his personality at your club, possibly de-stablising the playing group?

What about Gary Ablett Snr? Athletic, can do freakish things and kicks a lot of goals but is only 185cm, which may have been fine a few decades ago but how many 185cm or lower Colemen medal winners have there been in the last 20 years. Would he be able to bring what made him great to the modern game as well?

What about Stephen Silvagni? Great player but again a bit undersided for a key defender in the modern game at 191cm and also what made him great are things that key defenders are not allowed to do anymore, so would that make him less influential?

So you have free choice to draft any player from history as an 18 year old into your team for the 2023 season? Who do you pick and why?

Also mods can you please not move this to the draft board as this is not a genuine draft discussion given this can't happen, but rather a best player of all time with a twist discussion.
If you're drafting them when they're 18, then that's plenty of time for them to take in modern training, fitness and nutritional methods. Some of these players will end up taller because of that, if that's your concern. Lockett's kicking for goal as an example, is going to be better than most forwards in the competition. A lot of past champions are going to be a lot better players due to modern standards, and saying SOS was only good because there was leeway with how defenders grappled with their opponent ignores his other characteristics. Like his agility and power in the air.

I would actually pick Koutoufides, his peak was ridiculously high and current standards would make him even more consistent. He would most likely avoid the things that made his full potential unrealised.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Silvagni was 194cm tall. He was much stronger than what he appeared. Super athlete.

I'm taking Leigh Matthews as he would be good for 30 disposals per game and you can probably add on about 600 career goals too.

Have to be a forward for freo
GAS
lloyd
buddy (not a huge fan, but I guess he’s a decent player and I’d grow to like him)
and I quite like tom Hawkins when he’s not diving

but rather a best player of all time with a twist discussion.
555d4bfa4e23fe618568c1abbfd5c616

Remove this Banner Ad

Back