If you could draft any player from history?

Remove this Banner Ad

I 100% agree with you here height and size matter. I’m only picking GAS cause we need a Riewoldt replacement to play a CHF role. 185cm is really short for a full forward.

If I’m picking a FF it’s Buddy then daylight. Buddy is great in any era you put him in because of the athlete that he is. Not sure you’d get great output from Lockett & Dunstal in todays game as they just sat in the goal square all day.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Thing is you need to remember with gaz senior is he actually was not a FF or CHF, he was actually a very quick explosive midfielder in his prime. He could play HF and kick goals because of his sheer brute power strength agility and freakish mark and leap. He just got placed at FF once he got into his thirties. Thing to consider is he kicked 100+ goals each of his years into his thirties right up until 35yo. Not many players kick 100+ at 35 yo.

I wouldn’t touch locket or dunstal at all due to their size and position not working in the modern era, but ablett with his sheer speed power and athleticism would fit perfectly.

I would give him the dusty Martin role of that roaming player from 0-80m from goal impacting at forward of center stoppages or acting as a target.

Not sure why you posted that pic of him when that’s not the physique he had when he played. Very strange man. This is what he looked like.

View attachment 1576387

I reckon he would fail badly in the modern era. Couldn’t do it. undersized no aerobic capacity And non athletic.

Out of interest how do you imagine Ablett Snr being played in the modern game given his height (185cm)? I mean he would obviously still be extremely good but I imagine he would need to play a different role to what he actually played.
I find this position on gaz senior very odd?? Given he was a midfielder/HF. He only played FF once he slowed down into his thirties.
He was a bloody explosive powerful athletic midfielder.

The difference is that you're drafting Lockett as an 18 year old... with modern day training and nutrition, he's going to be better than he was. And he's infinitely a better kick than Franklin. I would take Lockett over him in a heartbeat.

Well then it becomes speculation. You need to be supremely fit and mobile these days. Lockett may well could’ve adapted but my money is still in Buddy being athletically superior. Lockett wasn’t exactly a trim, light on his feet bloke.

Not sure why you posted that pic of him when that’s not the physique he had when he played. Very strange man. This is what he looked like.

View attachment 1576387

If should be obvious why a picture of him in his playing days is actually irrelevant if you're following the conversation.

If should be obvious why a picture of him in his playing days is actually irrelevant if you're following the conversation.

That pic you posted wasn’t man. He became really thin after he retired. You can tell he even looks old.

Tough question and lots of room for debate and opinion.
For me - Lockett wouldnt be the full forward he was playing in 2023. He intimidated blokes with his size and pushed FBs around
Ablett Snr- too short to play FF in todays game but would be able to play midfield / half forward
Madden / Farmer - unless they were 6 inches taller they wouldnt be viable in the ruck

i would draft one of Carey, Ablett JNR or Buddy

That pic you posted wasn’t man. He became really thin after he retired. You can tell he even looks old.

The point is with modern nutrition and training he would have had a different body shape. You're too young to know how unprofessional the league was back then, you don't need to show me a photo of what he looked like, he was my favourite non Blues player.

The point is with modern nutrition and training he would have had a different body shape. You're too young to know how unprofessional the league was back then, you don't need to show me a photo of what he looked like, he was my favourite non Blues player.

Maybe he could’ve but odds are he wouldn’t off. Many many people were fitter than him back then. Even KB was and he looked malnourished.

Maybe he could’ve but odds are he wouldn’t off. Many many people were fitter than him back then. Even KB was and he looked malnourished.

You think they played in the same era?

And the point is he didn't need to be, you realise he's the greatest goals scorer in history?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You think they played in the same era?

And the point is he didn't need to be, you realise he's the greatest goals scorer in history?

True, but his role is obsolete in the modern game. Forwards even go down and help the team get it out of defence in the modern game. I don’t quite see Lockett running up and down the ground all day. It doesn’t really matter it’s all hypothetical and opinion based.

True, but his role is obsolete in the modern game. Forwards even go down and help the team get it out of defence in the modern game. I don’t quite see Lockett running up and down the ground all day. It doesn’t really matter it’s all hypothetical and opinion based.

Yes I'm sure as an 18 year old in 2023 he would play exactly the same as he did in the 90's.

Bruce Doull.. with modern tactics hed get double didget intercept marks and 30 plus kicks to advantage every week

Yep , simply the greatest defender to ever play the game . Makes the modern defenders look just ok .
Respect

still the best FB I've seen

There aren't too many full backs that can play against the absolute monsters, play loose and rebound and swing forward to kick goals.

Silvagnj !! Gee no doubt a good player , but seriously Ashley McIntosh was the full back of that generation. If he was from east coast would get the gongs he deserves .

Silvagnj !! Gee no doubt a good player , but seriously Ashley McIntosh was the full back of that generation. If he was from east coast would get the gongs he deserves .

He is definitely rated highly but I’d take fletcher over McIntosh

But that’s the beauty of footy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back