Discussion If you could go back in time and watch five matches which matches would you pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

Here we go

1. 1958 Grand Final Melbourne 9.10 64 def by Collingwood 12.10 82 Stopping Melbourne 4-peat
2. 1949 Round 1 Essendon 18.12 120 def Hawthorn 9.3 57 John Coleman Debut Game
3. 1989 Round 6 Hawthorn 26.15 171 def Geelong 25.13 163 49 High scoring affair + 49 point comeback
4. 1967 State Final Wynard 13.14 92 def North Hobart 12.19 91 Pitch Evasion
5. 2005 Round 9 Collingwood 18.10 118 def West Coast 15.5 95 1st vs Last

1. 1945 VFL Grand Final. How can you go past blokes trying to murder each other on the footy field?
2. 1989 VFL Grand Final. Speaks for itself.
3. 1979 WAFL Grand Final. Easts running over the top of Souths in the last quarter in front of 52k at Subi.
4. 1986 State of Origin
5. 2012 East Freo District under-16s Grand Final. I was playing in the under-17s and we were doing our warmup in the changerooms during the final term which saw our team's U16s come back from 6 goals down and kick a goal from a 100m penalty with 1 minute to go to put them in front. Would have enjoyed seeing it instead of the runner coming down and telling us.

I was at the 1986 State of Origin and I remember it well. It was my first year of university at University of WA studying in economics; Paul Peos was in that class as was Don Pyke.

I left university about lunchtime by myself and took the Number 103 bus towards Subiaco Oval. It was a Tuesday afternoon. I got off the bus and walked about five blocks northwards. I bought a steak pie at a corner convenience store/deli. The radio in the shop was playing the song "Black is black/ I want my baby back". It was a grey cloudy day where the clouds just kind of hang there.

At the ground I stood on the concrete terraces on the scoreboard wing in front of the tin shed. My main memory of the actual game is Andrew MacNish taking a screamer on the shoulders of Justin Madden on the half-forward-flank right in front of me.

1. 8 Aug 1953, South Freo vs Subi, Fremantle Oval, Bernie Naylor 23 goals.
2. 8 Oct 1977, WA vs Vic, Subi Oval, first SOO, WA smashed the Vics.
3. 23 July 1961, WA vs Vic, Gabba, win National Champs - Farmer, Todd, Bunton Jr, Gero, Sorrell, Sheedy, Chadwick, Atwell vs Whitten, Barassi etc.
4. 1 April 1995, Rich vs Freo, MCG. Freo's first game. Was at game 2, wish I was at game 1.
5. 27 Aug 1898, Fremantle vs WP. Last time a Fremantle Football Club won a Premiership!

I remember that 1977 SOO game. I was sitting right down the front in the middle of the middle tier of the three-tier stand at Subiaco Oval with my late father and grandfather (RIP). In the first quarter all the action was up the other end, which was pretty difficult to see so far away as an 8-year-old. The crowd was just stunned by the WA goal avalanche. I do remember massive Peter Moore (Collingwood star) right in front of me at full-back for Victoria having nothing to do but just standing there and looking off into the distance at the action, hands on hips. I might be wrong but you could probably feel his deflation and horror.

Did you ever see Stephen Michael in ruck contests with Laurie Keene? Man, those must have been interesting.

1. SANFL 1904 GF Norwood vs Port: Norwood stage huge comeback to win after being 35 points down at 3/4 time
2. SANFL R12 1940 North Adelaide vs West Torrens: Ken Farmer kicks 23.6 out of North's 26.11
3. 1963 Victoria vs SA: SA win at the MCG for the first time in decades.
4. 1972 Champions of Australia North Adelaide vs Carlton: North win by a point.
5. SANFL 1978 GF Sturt vs Norwood: Norwood win by a point in the club's centenary year

1. SANFL 1904 GF Norwood vs Port: Norwood stage huge comeback to win after being 35 points down at 3/4 time
2. SANFL R12 1940 North Adelaide vs West Torrens: Ken Farmer kicks 23.6 out of North's 26.11
3. 1963 Victoria vs SA: SA win at the MCG for the first time in decades.
4. 1972 Champions of Australia North Adelaide vs Carlton: North win by a point.
5. SANFL 1978 GF Sturt vs Norwood: Norwood win by a point in the club's centenary year

If you go back to 1940 and someone asks you why you haven't joined the War effort, tell them you are only time-travelling.

1. 1914 Championship of Australia-Port 9.16 (70) d Carlton 5.6 (36): Top hat and waist coat on!
2. 1991 SANFL GF-SANFL's own bloodbath
3. 1997 Showdown 1- Obvious reasons
4. 2004 AFL GF
5. Showdown 35-Remember watching this at home with my Crows supporting mate and when Lewis Johnstone marked at 50 I had given up, then he ignores Danger and has a shot and misses! Next thing you know Trengove has it on the wing and mongrels it to space/Monfries, Talia (I think) slips. Gus shoots and hes missed, nup Port are done...ITS GONE AT RIGHT ANGLES TIM!!! GOOAAL!! Centre bounce, Boak clears, Gus centres, Dom guards space, Wingard marks and goals. Port WIN!!

Coleman debut.
Bloodbath GF.
Any game with Hayden Bunton.
Any game from 1897.
A rampaging Bob Pratt [ only to see if he was as good as he said he was ]

The North Adelaide Roosters vs. Norwood Redlegs SANFL match at the Adelaide Oval on 25 August 1973. Not to watch the football, but to stop the horrifying abduction of two young girls from this game by some evil nonce, a crime which remains unsolved to this day.

I guess if we knew in advance what would happen (i.e, time-traveller scenario), I would watch the first three quarters and then either stop the girls going to the toilet (say, if I was sitting next to them I could point out the dangers to the parents) and/or be at the gate to stop the nonce going out.

1989 VFL GF - Hawthorn v Geelong
1973 SANFL GF - Glenelg v North Adelaide
1994 AFL prelim - Geelong v North Melb
1970 VFL GF - Carlton v Collingwood
1996 R8 - Fitzroy v Fremantle (Fitzroy's last win)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back