If you could play any sport professionally, which team/era would you choose?

Remove this Banner Ad

Andrew Bogut signed for half a million US earlier in the year. Played 11 regular season games and 19 playoff games, starting about a third of them. In total played less then a quarter of total game time in under a third of the games played that year by his team.

Not a bad gig for AUD700-750k.

Not so much a team sport, but if I could, I'd go back to 1964 with Greg Noll the first time anyone decided to charge outer reef Pipe.
What a view before deciding to go out and risk your life noll.jpg

Any American sport right now. $300m for 6 years plus sponsorship....Who cares about winning. Or the team....Baseketball was right.

Rather more symbolic of just how much human values & Society have changed for the worse….When past-times & amusements/entertainment become high-value commodities & ambitions.....T.S.Elliot spoke of this point precisely, in his analogy of modernity in this aspect, with that of the Roman Colosseum.

San Francisco Giants 2010-14, playing MLB would be a great gig. 3 world series in that time and Oracle Park is an awesome stadium.

Don't follow baseball closely but always remember hearing about them during that period, it felt like they won 3 or 4 in a row.

How many players won all 3?

Don't follow baseball closely but always remember hearing about them during that period, it felt like they won 3 or 4 in a row.

How many players won all 3?

They didn’t actually win any in a row, 3 in 5 years like Geelong 07-11. Spreads out the success at least.

9 players played in all 3.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tennis player or F1 driver (getting paid to travel the world). In the 80s and 90s for both sports, when it was the best era with so many legendary names.
How much time do they get to do anything while travelling though?
If you're a decent tennis player, playing practically every Monday to Satrurday (depending how far you make throguh the tournament), travel Sunday, still trying to fit in training. And an F1 driver or very top tennis pro, you can add all the media demands and having no life of your own to that. Big money if you're good enough (which I'm assuming the thread was premised on) but the demands are hideous.
Mind you, better that than $20/hr with similar work demands - though not the public life ones - in a lot of jobs.

Players earning $200k and nice houses in nice areas cost $125k.

So s**t.

Top players earning more than that too. From memory Sydney offered Greg Williams $100k to join them in 1985. He wanted half to stay but Geelong would only pay $45k. When he moved to the Blues at the end of 1991 he was paid somewhere north of $300k per season. He's pretty open about all this, did an Open Mike interview years ago and confirmed the Syd/Geel figures and said "a bit under" when asked if he was on half a mill at Carlton. Warwick Capper reportedly joined the Bears for $350k a year. These are big dollars in the 1980s. A median priced house in Melbourne only ticked over $100k in the late 80s.

The salary cap was only introduced in 1987 and it's no coincidence that the same teams kept making GFs in the 80s. Great WAFL and SANFL players didn't just join Hawthorn, Essendon, Carlton etc for the sake of it. The cap is still rubbery today so all manner of dodgy dealings went on in the 80s and 90s. Carlton are the only eedjits who managed to get caught and not given a slap on the wrist.

Due to how the rules worked at the time Michael Jordan made $33m in his last season with the Bulls when the cap was $27m and the average team payroll was $33m. The salary cap has increased four fold since then and the highest paid player in the comp can "only" get $40m. I don't know what the AFL salary cap was in 1998 (I'm guessing $3-5m given it started at $1.25m and is now $13m) but Kouta was probably the highest paid player ever as a percentage of cap space.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back