If you could take 1 player from another team

Apr 29, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
As the title suggests, if you could take 1 player from any team to add to your list (for free) who and why? It's not just for 1 season, but for as long as a contract as you want.

For the dees, I would take Aaron Naughton.

Justification: Our forward stocks are getting old with Ben Brown and Mcdonald. Weideman also hasn't come on. He also offers flexibility if May or Lever ever went down.

Other considerations: Sam Walsh (You can never have too many elite players and people that help on field as well as culture). Harry Mckay & Ben King (same reason as Naughton).

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Tough one for Sydney. I guess we would take Harris Andrews. Good age and would complement McCartin perfectly as Andrews could take the extra tall key forwards that McCartin struggles with a bit.

Trav 20

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Idiots get ignored
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Dees
Bailey Smith.

Who doesn't want someone with ice in their veins on the biggest stage.

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Sean Darcy or Darcy Moore. A Darcy.

Red Bull

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 29, 2010
mornington peninsula
AFL Club
Carlton
2AC0322D-25F1-4FC4-88B3-C1977C07056B.jpeg

This guy thanks.
Could only imagine him working in unison with TDK for the next decade …

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
For port right now what would make the most difference is a elite mid who can win the ball and take it out of a stoppage and hurt the opposition.

Basically petracca. Would make us flag favourites immediately. Also the added bonus of subtracting a talent from our biggest competitors.

It’s the best immediate option.

Though there is a strong argument that a full career out of a gun young player (as opposed to half of petracca’s) would serve port better especially with our young core.

So a young player like Bailey smith, Rowell (if you thought he gets back to his pre-injury form) or Walsh would fit port.

Can easily make the argument to pick a kf considering how hard they are to draft. I would go Ben king probably but there’s plenty of good young ones to add. Naughton a gun but I reckon the way he uses his body his career has a use by date, sadly cause he’s great to watch. Ben’s height would be the best match next to 191cm Georgiades and Todd Marshall who would be playing as a chf up the ground a bit.

But the real player that I personally like as a list fit for port is Jason Horne Francis.

Fills every need we have. Midfielder who can take the ball out of a stoppage. Hard nut. Great age profile

So to answer the question I would personally overlook the obvious immediate need in petracca (who would be a great choice) to pick a young tyro.

Flip a coin whether it’s Horne-Francis or Ben King really. I can’t decide which.

If port didn’t have Georgiades and Marshall it would easily be Ben.

Depending on how much faith you have that butters and rozee can get their bodies right (in which case they’ll be superstar midfielders for years to come) also would factor the decision between gun young midfielder extractor or kf.

Leon

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 13, 2004
Bound for Germany 2006!
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Harry's Heroes
Adelaide - No one

Brisbane - Charlie Cameron

Carlton - Patrick Cripps

Collingwood - Brodie Grundy

Essendon - Sam Draper

Fremantle - Sean Darcy

Geelong - No one

GWS - Toby Greene

Gold Coast - No one

Hawthorn - No one

Melbourne - Max Gawn (for 1-2 years), longer term Steven May or Jake Lever.

North - Todd Goldstein (for a year) failing that Tarryn Thomas

Port - Robbie Gray

Richmond - Dusty

St Kilda - Patrick Ryder (for a year)

Swans - Isaac Heeney

West Coast - Nic Nat

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
As the title suggests, if you could take 1 player from any team to add to your list (for free) who and why? It's not just for 1 season, but for as long as a contract as you want.

For the dees, I would take Aaron Naughton.

Justification: Our forward stocks are getting old with Ben Brown and Mcdonald. Weideman also hasn't come on. He also offers flexibility if May or Lever ever went down.

Other considerations: Sam Walsh (You can never have too many elite players and people that help on field as well as culture). Harry Mckay & Ben King (same reason as Naughton).
Mate.

Ben Brown is an elite, plant-powered machine. In 2020 he was regularly tracking more km's per game than Ed Langdon was (I don't know the stats for 2021 but I imagine it's similar). He's 30, but that's not old when you're living off tofu and beans. Look at Tom "Steak and three side-serves of steak" MacDonald- we had to carry him through the finals series and he's younger than Brown is. There's plenty of seasons of quality football left from Big Benny, plenty.

As for that Western player: * that. IMO they just seem a little too soft down Footscray way? Go down a little easily. Give up when it gets just a bit too hard. Drop their heads, and hope the umpires give them a hand. Maybe our elite culture could get him on track, but why take the risk?

IMO the only forward we could use from anywhere else is Jesse Hogan. King of the House Party. Already a Demons legend (to me anyway). Bring the boy back home!!!

Leon

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 13, 2004
Bound for Germany 2006!
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Harry's Heroes
Really? I mean I know Gold Coast are not good as a unit but they have some incredibly talented kids.

Yeah fair call.

I‘d take King from the Suns. We are not in dire need of a key position forward but he’s very talented and I’d take him in a heartbeat.

Our most pressing need at the moment is an experienced/good ruckman or key defender, hence they’re the ones I’d select from other clubs if given the chance right now.

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Turtles, NYJets, Celtics, Tottenham
1. Harry McKay
2. Ben King
3. Matt Rowell

Adelaide - No one

Brisbane - Charlie Cameron

Carlton - Patrick Cripps

Collingwood - Brodie Grundy

Essendon - Sam Draper

Fremantle - Sean Darcy

Geelong - No one

GWS - Toby Greene

Gold Coast - No one

Hawthorn - No one

Melbourne - Max Gawn (for 1-2 years), longer term Steven May or Jake Lever.

North - Todd Goldstein (for a year) failing that Tarryn Thomas

Port - Robbie Gray

Richmond - Dusty

St Kilda - Patrick Ryder (for a year)

Swans - Isaac Heeney

West Coast - Nic Nat
Very cocky if you think there is not one player from 4 teams that would improve the Bulldogs!

Leon

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 13, 2004
Bound for Germany 2006!
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Harry's Heroes
Very cocky if you think there is not one player from 4 teams that would improve the Bulldogs!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I‘m not cocky. I‘ve listed players I would take that would improve or be beneficial for us.

If the club I listed didn’t list a player, I’m not saying the team is s**t or that we are too good for them, just don’t think there is a player that fulfils what we need at the moment.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I‘m not cocky. I‘ve listed players I would take that would improve or be beneficial for us.

If the club I listed didn’t list a player, I’m not saying the team is sh*t or that we are too good for them, just don’t think there is a player that fulfils what we need at the moment.
Rory Laird would walk into your team.

Stewart from the Cats.

King from Gold Coast.

McEvoy from Hawks would give you a decent ruckman.

Back