If you got the chance to pick an AFL club to play for (other than the one you support), who would it be and why?

AFDogs

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I've always liked the thought of playing for Geelong. Close to Melbourne, got a loyal supporter base. Up near the beach. Successful club. Just reckon there would be good vibes up there and having basically the whole area support your footy team (including Torquay, Ocean Grove etc.). Nights out in Geelong are always fun. My second choice would probably be Carlton.

Who would you play for and why? Can't choose the team you support.

Essendon.

Most of my family/friends follow them so, despite my personal feelings about the club at times, I think it would be great to do that for them.

2nd pick would be Fremantle. Imagine being part of the squad that delivers their first flag. Would be able to eat in half the pubs, bars and clubs in Perth for free the rest of your life!!

RichLeMonde

Club Legend
Sep 26, 2019
Sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Celtics
Nights out in where you get to drive home from Geelong are always fun.
EFA

Jokes aside, I'd pick Geelong. Brisbane building a great culture but wouldn't want to live in Brisbane. Port also building a great culture but David Koch.

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Fremantle - as already posted, being part of the team that delivers the club's first flag would set you up if you were a higher profile player.

Footscray - because of their proximity to Geelong, particularly pre-Westgate Bridge (yeah, I'm old) and the swapping of players, coaches over the decades, I've always thought of them as Geelong's main rival and they've always been a club of goers and these days seem to be stable and even growing.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
Fremantle - as already posted, being part of the team that delivers the club's first flag would set you up if you were a higher profile player.

Footscray - because of their proximity to Geelong, particularly pre-Westgate Bridge (yeah, I'm old) and the swapping of players, coaches over the decades, I've always thought of them as Geelong's main rival and they've always been a club of goers and these days seem to be stable and even growing.
and between goals if you were quick, you could duck off the outer wing, get to the little caravan bar, couple cans and back before the ball was bounced.

Ok Boomer

Cancelled
A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life
Jul 27, 2015
South West
AFL Club
West Coast
Normally I would say Richmond or Collingwood, but there have been several stories out of Collingwood not just from this offseason that suggest that maybe it isn't the best environment for players.

Richmond has a passionate supporter base, they are now well run and financially stable, and they have plenty of big games (and no travel to places like Geelong or Hobart, unless they were rubbish the year before). It isn't a hard choice really.

Maybe Geelong would suit because I am not a big city person but my one experience down there did not leave a positive impression.

kid_a

Club Legend
Apr 5, 2010
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Hammarby IF, East Freo, Glory
Brisbane
-Genuinely like the club, have a load of mates who support them and I know the city well as I've lived there before.

I would live on Rottnest Island and catch the ferry over to play for Freo, then go home to my giant rats.

One of the greatest ever Irish GAA players, Mick O'Connell, was a farmer & fisherman who lived off the coast of Kerry on a place called Valentia Island. He used to row over for training and games and row home again.

Back