If you got the chance to pick an AFL club to play for (other than the one you support), who would it be and why?

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon I'd like to play for the Swans.

Only missed the finals 4 times since 2000, won two flags, made 5 GFs, have a decent core of support and get around 30k per home game but I could still be just about as anonymous as I am now away from that. More chance of being recognised at the airport at an away game in Melb/Adel/Perth than at home. Similar for the Lions currently but I'm not about to pretend 2005-2018 didn't happen. If Gold Coast can get established as a serious footy team (i.e. remain competitive for a few years, not lose players) that could appeal. Surfers is a s**t hole but you could park yourself up at Mermaid Beach or something and have a cool coastal lifestyle.

If it was a Melbourne team I'd want to go the other way. Don't want to escape the limelight in some mid table North or Saints team no one cares about, you want to play for the Tigers in front of 90,000 ferals singing YELLOW AND BLACK or for the Pies Bombers some other team where every game is called a blockbuster.

Collingwood. Multiple income streams.

But in all seriousness, Probably Geelong. Don't particularly love Geelong itself but the closer I can get to Torquay the better.

Brisbane. Great city, big city feel while being out of the media spotlight. Able to lead a relatively normal life outside of playing football. Great weather as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

An interesting thought experiment, if I had to pick a second favourite team it would be Geelong, there are old family links there ... that said they would not be the team I would choose to play for ...I would choose Hawthorn. I grew up in a Hawthorn zone and had players from my bush club who went to play with Hawthorn in 70s and 80s. when my childhood chosen team was rubbish I could always take comfort that our zone team Hawthorn was successful. Kinda like my mum being born in NZ so I have both Wallaby and All Black jerseys so can always kid myself that I am with the winners lol.

Probably Adelaide or Hawthorn.

Adelaide - biggest club in a 2 team afl state. Wouldn't want to go to Freo. Would get media and sponsorship opportunities as an average player even probably.
Hawthorn - One of the bigger and more successful teams in vic but don't dislike them as much as Collingwood, Richmond, Essendon and Carlton.

Richmond because their culture of success would give the best opportunity for a talentless plodder like me to be traded to a lesser club with an inflated contract. I pity the club that gives me a 5 year contract on a mil per season.

GWS .

I have an us against the world chip on my shoulder that many at that footy club seem to have (esp Toby Greene) and Sydney have by far the best beaches in Australia (I would base myself around Cronulla way, even if it's a bit way off from the Giants stomping ground)

I also like havinf a drinkypoo on weekends/days off and Sydney has 24 hour public transport which helps.

Can't stand the Swans so I would never want to play for them

Adelaide love the city of Adelaide no joke such a laid back city 5 girl to 1 guy ratio as a footy player you would clean up
Yeah I've heard the women in Adelaide are plentiful and quality, probably explains somewhat why SA is usually more progressive than the rest of the country

Remove this Banner Ad

Back