If you got the chance to pick an AFL club to play for (other than the one you support), who would it be and why?

Remove this Banner Ad

Order of preference

1. Geelong - long term club culture, lifestyle
2. WCE - possibly the strongest club
3. Bris - lifestyle, club's direction
4. Rich - winning mentality
5. North - Tassie lifestyle

I like Adelaide (city) but for some reason I can't explain why I just wouldn't want to play footy there.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Normally I would say Richmond or Collingwood, but there have been several stories out of Collingwood not just from this offseason that suggest that maybe it isn't the best environment for players.

Richmond has a passionate supporter base, they are now well run and financially stable, and they have plenty of big games (and no travel to places like Geelong or Hobart, unless they were rubbish the year before). It isn't a hard choice really.

Maybe Geelong would suit because I am not a big city person but my one experience down there did not leave a positive impression.
Knitting needle through the temple...yep I know the feeling.

Lions. Good list, good coach, exciting style of footy, out of the cauldron of Melbourne. Slot me into the backline with Harris Andrews and I'll float across and pick up his crumbs for a decade. Get myself a nice renovated Queenslander in the burbs and a weekender on the coast with a garage for the boat. All set.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As for where I'd base myself, probably Karrinyup.

Actually, just north of Perth in general would be one option but not as northerly as Butler or Alkimos.

Whatever the happy medium is regarding Craigie, Scarborough and Baldivis.

Depends how good you are and what you get paid to play - because you've picked some pretty cheap suburbs there and ones that would be a pain in the backside to get to training in Cockburn. If you want to be north of the river (which isn't a bad thing) then the further north you go the more into the West Coast fan base. I'd suggest the top edge of the Golden Triangle, like Wembley Downs or Churchlands - nice area, high performing Government schools and far enough away from the old Perth money and Doctors in Claremont, Dalkeith and Peppermint Grove. Easy access to the far northern suburbs if that's where your family is.

I would live on Rottnest Island and catch the ferry over to play for Freo, then go home to my giant rats.

One of the greatest ever Irish GAA players, Mick O'Connell, was a farmer & fisherman who lived off the coast of Kerry on a place called Valentia Island. He used to row over for training and games and row home again.

Nice idea, but sadly the only people allowed to live on Rottnest are the folks who work on the island.

Richmond because their culture of success would give the best opportunity for a talentless plodder like me to be traded to a lesser club with an inflated contract. I pity the club that gives me a 5 year contract on a mil per season.
That sounds like youd end up at Collingwood.

I'd have a few candidates:
- Brisbane would be the first one, everything you would want in a footy club right now and I think I'd be a fan of the lifestyle in Queensland
- Richmond, similar with Brisbane except it's in Melbourne
- Bulldogs, closest club in terms of location, plus if North were to just stop existing as a club and leave behind no traces, this would be the club I'd go for.

Brisbane lions. Having been born in Fitzroy and admiring the best team I've ever seen three-peat. Love the game plan under Fagan. Probably too hot in Qld for me though, never been that far north

On RMX1941 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'd probably go Brisbane.

A team with a lot of country boys who all seem pretty relaxed, and would be a good bunch of guys to have a quiet post match bevvie with every week

Brisbane as well.
Weather, lifestyle, modern city, away from the spotlight.
Live in Melbourne and would relocate to Brisbane if I can.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back