Opinion If you had one pick

bunter

Club Legend
Apr 20, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
What didn't he do at a higher level than every current kpf, except for Buddy's extraordinary work at ground level. I understand Kappa's argument when it comes to blokes who's big party trick was fast leads into space - eg. Dunstall and Matty Lloyd, but Carey didn't need space.
Pagan’s paddock?

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood
What didn't he do at a higher level than every current kpf, except for Buddy's extraordinary work at ground level. I understand Kappa's argument when it comes to blokes who's big party trick was fast leads into space - eg. Dunstall and Matty Lloyd, but Carey didn't need space.
Fabulous Phil had him covered in every aspect - and was almost as big a flog.

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood
Just before my time, but i value longevity, so i daresay I'd still rate Carey higher, even if Carman hit a higher peak, it wasn't for long enough.
I value a team mate that can keep is dick in his pants around my girl too.

Besides that I thought we were talking about talent here?

If you wan't longevity Abblett Snr has him covered again.

I value a team mate that can keep is dick in his pants around my girl too.

Besides that I thought we were talking about talent here?

If you wan't longevity Abblett Snr has him covered again.
I thought we were talking about best players. In my mind, blokes who were great for a decade were better players than those who were great for 2 years.

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood
I thought we were talking about best players. In my mind, blokes who were great for a decade were better players than those who were great for 2 years.
Well if you want to go that route Hudson not only savaged the competition with his leading, marking and kicking but was equally as destructive with his ground level play.

Plus he brought other players into the game and made the team his goal.

Well if you want to go that route Hudson not only savaged the competition with his leading, marking and kicking but was equally as destructive with his ground level play.

Plus he brought other players into the game and made the team his goal.
Fair enough, meets my longevity test. Before my time too. I'm really just suggesting that Carey was a star whose skillset would have made bim a star in any era. I'm not saying he's the best or most talentest. From the target forwards I've seen, Plugger was the best and Ablett the most talented. Franklin in the conversation for his incredible revovery that made him like a full forward and a front and centre rover in the same contest.

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood
Fair enough, meets my longevity test. Before my time too. I'm really just suggesting that Carey was a star whose skillset would have made bim a star in any era. I'm not saying he's the best or most talentest. From the target forwards I've seen, Plugger was the best and Ablett the most talented. Franklin in the conversation for his incredible revovery that made him like a full forward and a front and centre rover in the same contest.
I have no problem with Carey as a player - always a handful (except for Bux - which Carey hates him for) - as a man though he's an abject failure and his skills are no excuse for his behavior.

Another demonstration of over the top adulation convincing a young man that his desires were to be fulfilled by the most worthy of his adoring fans.

His commentary stints show he is still the same old flog but as a player he was in almost the top tier.

Robroy22

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
Jindabyne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Central Broken Hill (Magpies)
Point of order Mr Chairman: Can people stop referring to "Pagan's Paddock" as if Dennis invented the ploy?

John Kennedy used it with Peter Hudson and Bob Keddie in the late 60's-70's and I'm pretty sure Norm Smith used it with Bob Johnson in the 50's. Clearing out the forward line so that a single defender is 1:1 with your best forward has been around as long as the game has been played.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Point of order Mr Chairman: Can people stop referring to "Pagan's Paddock" as if Dennis invented the ploy?

John Kennedy used it with Peter Hudson and Bob Keddie in the late 60's-70's and I'm pretty sure Norm Smith used it with Bob Johnson in the 50's. Clearing out the forward line so that a single defender is 1:1 with your best forward has been around as long as the game has been played.
Albert Thurgood would have loved being one out with some hapless defender.

The slight difference Pagan's paddock had Carey running toward goal with the flight of the ball not towards the ball carrier. i.e. Carey's lead would be from the 50 meter arc towards the goal square. With the flight of the ball which was his strength he was almost unbeatable one on one.

I have no problem with Carey as a player - always a handful (except for Bux - which Carey hates him for) - as a man though he's an abject failure and his skills are no excuse for his behavior.

Another demonstration of over the top adulation convincing a young man that his desires were to be fulfilled by the most worthy of his adoring fans.

His commentary stints show he is still the same old flog but as a player he was in almost the top tier.
On th Bux and Carey folklore. Bucks caned him once, but the time I saw them up against each other, Carey kicked a few in the first half, Bucks barely touched it. Second half Bucks was playing midfield.

On th Bux and Carey folklore. Bucks caned him once, but the time I saw them up against each other, Carey kicked a few in the first half, Bucks barely touched it. Second half Bucks was playing midfield.

I think the game your thinking of was round 11 1998. Bucks started on Carey and had kept him relatively quiet but the North midfield and hb line got on top of our illustrious midfield of Crossisca, Crow and Wild in the 2nd and Bucks was needed in the middle. For the rest of the game it felt like Rowdy had Carey until he got out of control and Bucks would give him a chop out given the only other key defender in that squad was Schauble. I recall three being kicked on Rowdy and one on Bucks. In his book Carey claims he was best on ground against Carey that day and in his book, Bucks graciously admits that Wayne was BOG that day but doesn't say that the Duck was basically rag dolling Gavin Brown most of the time.

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood
Regardless of the circs Carey can't hide his hatred.

I have respect for Carey as a player as his record demands but it doesn't blind me to the essential rottenness of the individual. You don't purposefully invite that type of moral cancer into a club IMHO.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Greening.

Pendles like movement in traffic, Daicos like kicking skills, Carman like marking ability, and pace, what's not to like.

Countrypie

Premiership Player
Apr 10, 2012
Rowville
AFL Club
Collingwood

Kennedy's strategy was so successful that it forced the introduction of the 50 metre diamond which became a square in due course

Back