If you had to live the rest of your life in another country, where would you choose.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It’d be between Canada, as similar enough to Australia, whilst being close enough to the US to visit NYC and other North Eastern US areas, without living with those crazies or the Netherlands.

Finally get off my butt and learn Dutch (and shock my Dutch dad as finally learning it). Hot women and lots of Europe obviously in close proximity.

wadistance

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2011
Hamburg, DE
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
BvB, Boston Celtics
Portugal. Cheaper than Germany with beaches. Could easily run a thriving hospitality venture there and retire somewhere between Lisbon and faro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 6, 2005
La Côte d'Azur
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton FC
Portugal. Cheaper than Germany with beaches. Could easily run a thriving hospitality venture there and retire somewhere between Lisbon and faro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Have you swum in the waters of Portugal?

Having said that.. yes Portugal is great, but beach swimming * that!

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
Croatua, Slovakia or Slovenia

Somewhere like Dubrovnik or Ljubljana would be great.

atlas1

Cancelled
Harry Potter Fan A Star Wars Fan
Nov 6, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
US - Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire
New Zealand

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
I’d genuinely choose England.
Yeah this is the simple one? I feel more at home in the UK than I do in Australia. London is impossible to live in and we're probably only 20 years from it being a city exclusively for the rich, but a village town in Somerset or even Essex would be fine. The north would be great. Culturally similar, the history is insane, I like the cold weather, cheap and easy access to the whole of Europe (but the best places are the cheapest to get and go to – Portugal, France, Italy), they're into good clothes and great music.

Otherwise some small town in Portugal. The language is ugly af but the people are educated and care a lot about their nation, while the food is pretty good, beers are cheap, nice wine, and it's pretty affordable. Also obviously pretty modern with trains and internet that piss all over ours. Some little fishing town somewhere where the weather's similar to Perth and you can swim every day would be great. Just live humbly with your own veggies, try and just eat some meat here and there from the market. That'd be sick.

If I had heaps of cash, I'd piss about between my house in Islington, London, and my joints in southern France, coastal Italy, and Porto. See ya there campaigners.

The thing I'd miss about here is the food. You can get whatever you want at whatever price. Italy has unreal food but after six months you'd have enough of it. Here there's Italian, Greek, Thai, Indian, pub food, your Americana... you can get a banh mi for six bucks or you can spend $90 a dish on some sort of Asian fusion. The quality and breadth of it is so good. And you don't feel cornered into *in franchises like you do in England.

Hawk Dork

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Zombie Lover BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 9, 2005
on the road to nowhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
The thing I'd miss about here is the food. You can get whatever you want at whatever price. Italy has unreal food but after six months you'd have enough of it. Here there's Italian, Greek, Thai, Indian, pub food, your Americana... you can get a banh mi for six bucks or you can spend $90 a dish on some sort of Asian fusion. The quality and breadth of it is so good. And you don't feel cornered into ****in franchises like you do in England.
So true
After a year OS Im jonesing for Vic Market and Victoria street.

Schauermann

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 27, 2011
Hamburg
AFL Club
Fremantle
Scandinavia, Canada or England would be my first choices. Nice weather and I like the culture mostly. Australia is not the worst choice btw, but too hot for me long term...

Schauermann

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 27, 2011
Hamburg
AFL Club
Fremantle
Like i said Chicago is my no1 fave city would easily live there except for the winter.
47c23t65.jpg

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
I'd say people pick Canada over America as, in addition to gun nuts and religious freaks getting to set government policy, America is unique among Western countries in that people are punished for getting chronic and terminal illnesses. The political right's refusal to accept anything resembling public healthcare means people go broke. Not just poor people who didn't have much to begin with but solidly middle class people too. A lifetime of working then a prolonged death means your kids inherit jack s**t. Americans have to think about the future and retirement in a more expensive way.

Otherwise the two countries are very similar. They watch not just the same sports but the same competitions (NHL, NBA, MLB, NFL). It's not an exaggeration to say a big part of Canadian national identity is simply being not American. Laugh at the next pom who says the UK is the one with a "special relationship".

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

CazC30

Far from the madding crowd.
Jan 12, 2017
Essex.
AFL Club
West Coast
I am from Perth and living in the UK so don't wish to insult any of the Poms.

craigos

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
Hawaii, hands down. Not even a close decision. Get the best of American things without the worse of them. Can spend time in the metropolis but get away from the hussle and bustle easily. Each island is different as well so if you got bored you could just change islands for a bit.

Reynolds Number

Cancelled
Apr 29, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Stoke City, Dortmund, San José, As
Taiwan. I'm living there at present and love what I see. Conservative as * on illicit drugs though, but I prefer alcohol anyways.

Estonia, Japan, New Zealand, Netherlands, Spain, Germany and Slovakia would be in my calculations. Vietnam and Chile are good if I'm not rich.

MiPiG

Debutant
Dec 31, 2018
Somewhere near Cologne, Germany
AFL Club
Fremantle
I am from Perth and living in the UK so don't wish to insult any of the Poms.

I lived in Willsden Green/Dollis Hill area for nearly 4 years. I loved it. London is a great city if you can afford it.

I'd be happy to move to Norway. Amazing outdoors, incredible fishing, friendly people. I could do that. I dont give a s**t about the cold. Been in Europe for almost 12 years. Germany is ok though.

Apr 6, 2005
La Côte d'Azur
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton FC
Doing it right now... USA.

Australia is too slow for me.
Where in the USA? And if Australia is slow to you then you've never lived in France. Everything is ******* slow here. I was 3rd in line in a supermarket line the other day and counted another 15 people behind me. Perhaps this is why they have 2 hour lunch breaks.

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
Taiwan. I'm living there at present and love what I see. Conservative as **** on illicit drugs though, but I prefer alcohol anyways.

Estonia, Japan, New Zealand, Netherlands, Spain, Germany and Slovakia would be in my calculations. Vietnam and Chile are good if I'm not rich.

I spent 2 years in Taiwan and loved it. Would happily go back.

Where in the USA? And if Australia is slow to you then you've never lived in France. Everything is ******* slow here. I was 3rd in line in a supermarket line the other day and counted another 15 people behind me. Perhaps this is why they have 2 hour lunch breaks.

That. Would s**t the absolute * outta me.

But then again you know what, when I arrived in Greece and the guide explained "ish" time to all of us, i was immediately relaxed and cgaf if stuff happened quickly. But then again, in a city, i probably would not feel this way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back